Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2012, 02:22 PM

502 posts, read 985,820 times

Advertisements

My sincere appologies as a haole to the Hawaiian People for what the US did via the Sugar and Pineapple barons of years gone by. Having said that, what most people either do not know or just tend not to talk about, is; that the whole world is cookie cutter apportioned by stronger countries since the beginning of man. Look at the globe. Even those tiny little islands around Antartica have been claimed by the Dutch, French, England etc. What is more, the Russians had their eyes on the Hawaiian Islands in the 1800s. Has no one ever heard of Fort Russia, or Fort Elizabeth on the Hawaiian Island of Kauai ? I was priviledged in 1989 to a tour with someone there on Kauai who loaned me a miner's cap (head lattern), and we explored a set of caves on the South part of Kauai, where the locals had stored a supply of drinking water in metal military jerry jugs (then all rusted in olive green), and food rations as they were hunkering down for the Japanese Invasion of WW 2. Right now as of September 2012, Japan and China are squabbling over possession of little islands between them . So as an American, I am grateful that WE got Hawaii, and not some other foreign nationals which would require me to have a visa and passport to visit the Island, much like the French require of tourists visiting Tahiti. I love Hawaii and am studying Hula Dancing. (footnote: The Japanese did in fact conquer and now control much of the jobs in Hawaii and run the local government.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 05:26 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
The Japanese did in fact conquer and now control much of the jobs in Hawaii and run the local government.)
I was following along with your train of thought right up until that last sentence. Please clarify what you mean.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:39 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Mango must be thrilled with the Louisana Purchase and the Mexican-American War, otherwise we'd really be getting our passports out a lot.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:39 AM

......... ditto, Whitviper, to what you wrote. You also forgot to mention how glad us haoles are that our forefathers left Europe to tackle the soil of what we call America!

Last edited by 7th generation; 09-25-2012 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: please keep this civil

Old 09-28-2012, 12:28 PM

49 posts, read 132,880 times
Yawn

Old 09-29-2012, 02:11 PM

Its true, Europeans are ultimately responsible for all the haoles coming to Hawaii and taking control of the valuable real estate that the Polynesians once thought was theirs. I am glad, being a haole that the haoles control possession and not the Russians, Chinese, Japanese, French or Dutch who control Australia, Tahiti, and much of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island