Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:58 AM

976 posts, read 2,684,679 times

Advertisements

Look, I love B ham it use to be my #1 city in Alabama but that city has let me down. Its seems to be doing nothing for progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 08:53 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
Birmingham is stalled. Most people move south away from Birmingham into Hoover and Shelby county. Birmingham's time has come and gone. The future is with RSA in Mobile and Montgomery with Mr. Bonner.
Don't confuse a couple of recent success stories with long-term capacity for growth.

Given how Birmingham's metro economy is larger than Montgomery, Mobile and Huntsville combined (With Tuscaloosa and Dothan thrown in for good measure) it's nonsensical to expect any of those cities to catch up any time in the next fifty years, let alone the next ten.

It also ignores the fact that the city has made incredible strides over the past three decades in diversifying its economy, growing its population, creating a far better quality of life, along with any number of other factors. In fact, I would argue that Birmingham has done a great deal over the past two decades to make itself a more desirable location for business relocation and growth.

Nope. Birmingham's growth will likely accelerate, not decelerate, after the recession comes to a close. Montgomery is essentially a two-industry town and Mobile has its own rats nest of problems, putting it roughly forty years behind B'ham in terms of development.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:19 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Birmingham is stalled. Most people move south away from Birmingham into Hoover and Shelby county. Birmingham's time has come and gone. The future is with RSA in Mobile and Montgomery with Mr. Bonner.
Come on now, seriously? Sounds like blatant jealousy and haterism to me.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Come on now, seriously? Sounds like blatant jealousy and haterism to me.
I'm none of those things because there is nothing to be jealous about in Birmingham. I just felt like giving my opinion. I wish Birmingham could change for the better.

Last edited by mimpdaddy; 08-17-2010 at 11:16 AM..

Old 08-17-2010, 11:17 AM

Well just found out Birmingham has teamed up with RSA.Job fair aims to fill 650 positions at Shops at Grand River | al.com
But some of that money is coming back to the gump.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:35 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,880,049 times
Quote:
Look, I love B ham it use to be my #1 city in Alabama but that city has let me down. Its seems to be doing nothing for progress.
I understand, I too am often fustratred with the slow or lack of progress in this metro. So you either move or appreciate what you have and help change things for the better.

Last edited by sleepless in Bham; 08-17-2010 at 11:52 AM..

Old 08-17-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
I understand, I too am often fustratred with the slow or lack of progress in this metro.
I think the city needs to bring people together and let go of the past.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:47 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,162,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Don't confuse a couple of recent success stories with long-term capacity for growth.

Given how Birmingham's metro economy is larger than Montgomery, Mobile and Huntsville combined (With Tuscaloosa and Dothan thrown in for good measure) it's nonsensical to expect any of those cities to catch up any time in the next fifty years, let alone the next ten.

It also ignores the fact that the city has made incredible strides over the past three decades in diversifying its economy, growing its population, creating a far better quality of life, along with any number of other factors. In fact, I would argue that Birmingham has done a great deal over the past two decades to make itself a more desirable location for business relocation and growth.

Nope. Birmingham's growth will likely accelerate, not decelerate, after the recession comes to a close. Montgomery is essentially a two-industry town and Mobile has its own rats nest of problems, putting it roughly forty years behind B'ham in terms of development.
I`m very pro Mobile and Montgomery is a city that is making progress with progressive and aggressive leadership. I`m not bias at all I’m known to keep it real my brothers and sisters from the "big four".

I`m not starting a war but I I have to defend my city with statistical facts and not here say.

In my opinion Mobile`s problems are no different or worse than Birmingham’s!! Mobile is a one county metro of just a little over 412K and a two county(Mobile and Baldwin) CSA of just a little over 600K.Madison,Mobile,and Montgomery counties have been the only three out of the big four that have seen growth be it big or small it is growth.Mimp is right the B-ham metro has grown but Shelby County has been the head runner while Jefferson county(the County seat of Birmingham`s 8 county metro of 1.2 million twice the size of Mobile`s) has lost population over the last decade. 2009 was the first time in yeaaaaaars that Jefferson County did not lose but it really didn`t gain either.

Mobile has only lost 10,000 but the county has and will continue to grow and B-ham on the other end has lost a city a mid size city well over 150k. B-ham has went from 350k - to may be 220k now that is a decent size city.B-ham has lost its fortune 500 power so no our problems are not worse than yours.

Mobile is not 40 years behind B-ham.B-ham may offer more than the other four but to say it is 40 years behind is crazy lol.Were not even a second behind B-ham. None of the big four metros are a split second behind B-ham.

IHS GLOBAL Insight ranked Huntsville 16th and Mobile 46th out of 363 metros in job growth between now and 2015.Source Mobile Press Register and B-ham was ranked in the 160`s

Mobile has a diverse economy as well as B-ham and yes B-ham has a larger GDP than the big four combined but so does Detroit, New Orleans, and Oakland. No other city has made the most dangerous city list in Alabama and Mobile and Montgomery has been recognized and awarded for decrease in homicides but I’ve never read such for B-ham and Huntsville actually the two have seen an upward trend.I`m not saying that Mobile don`t have drive by shootings and robberies but statistically it has declined over years.

Now back to B-ham because after all the thread was about the future growth and progression of B-ham. I think B-ham has a good future ahead because it is working on the core of the city which is downtown and for a city to thrive under any aspect it has to have a thriving downtown and B-ham is doing a good job with such.And I have to agree with you that B-ham has taken great strides to imrpove the city`s image really all of them have. I was just in B-ham the other day my last vistit was back in 2007 and I have seen some imrovements in some areas and other are the same.

Like I said I`m not bias at all at times I could be but i`m not .The only area of B-ham that I envy is downtown B-ham because of it`s density and the image that of strenght that has while passing by.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:22 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
I'm none of those things because there is nothing to be jealous about in Birmingham. I just felt like giving my opinion. I wish Birmingham could change for the better.
So you say, but so far your only evidence or support of this is "but that city has let me down." When others in this thread have given some thought and commentary backed up by factual data. I'm all for opinions but they should be backed up by more then what you've presented or it just sounds like flame bait.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
So you say, but so far your only evidence or support of this is "but that city has let me down." When others in this thread have given some thought and commentary backed up by factual data. I'm all for opinions but they should be backed up by more then what you've presented or it just sounds like flame bait.
Tourain all you have to do is look at the city of Birmingham. And some might say Mobile and Montgomery are years behind Bham but when I travel down I-65 those cities look more modern(progessive) than Birmingham. My wife is from Georgia and she likes Mobile out of all the cities in Alabama. There is a cloud over the of Bham city until you reach Hoover and Shelby county. I wish it wasn't so , you guys brag on being the largest metro in the state of Alabama(wow big accomplisment). Why not shoot for the largest metro in the southeast. I'm just frusrated with Bham it should be leading the way, but nothing has changed in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area