Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 12:56 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,566,673 times

Advertisements

We are considering UAB as a potential place my husband may do his medical residency. We have 2 small children, one whom will reach early elementary school by the time we are done with residency.

His parents may be moving there as well (also for a job in the UAB med center area) and are looking at homes in the Mountain Brook, Homewood, and Vestavia Hills areas.

Ideally, we would like to be within 15-20 min of them, and also have a decent commute to the medical center. Under 20 minutes would be ideal, but up to 30 if it made a big difference in housing and schools. He would probably be going in on the early side (6-7 am), but assume rush hour traffic most of the time.

We are not sure if we would be renting or buying, but I'm leaning toward renting. We would have a budget of $1300-$1500 max for a rental and I would like 3 bed and at least 1500 sq feet. A single family home would be best, but I'm not opposed to a townhome or duplex. If we bought, our budget would likely max out at 175K, but I wouldn't be willing to go for a townhome in that case.

Schools are on my mind, but as long as the elementary is decent, I'm not too concerned. Being in a safe area that is family friendly is probably my biggest concern.

I've done a few searches on homes for sale/rent in the areas mentioned above and it looks like it may be hard to find something in our price range--do you think this is the case? Given what we are looking for, are there any other areas you would suggest we take a look at? I may visit this fall if he interviews to scope out the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 01:01 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,215,804 times
Cahaba Heights. A straight shot down 280 into downtown. If your kids were younger I'd say Avondale, which is popular among residents. It's affordable and a five minute drive to the hospital down Fifth Avenue.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:03 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,609,475 times
The areas you are looking at all are safe with the best schools in the area. I wouldn't worry to much about the quality difference between them. Is there anything specific you look for in a school or area, besides it being decently rated?

Mtn Brook and Homewood are closer than Vestavia. I think it would be hard to buy with your price range. Perhaps in parts of Vestavia. West Homewood is also in that range, but the houses might be small for you.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:09 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,293,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Cahaba Heights. A straight shot down 280 into downtown. If your kids were younger I'd say Avondale, which is popular among residents. It's affordable and a five minute drive to the hospital down Fifth Avenue.
^^^This. This is what I would have typed if cpg hadn't beaten me to it. Avondale and Crestwood and the Birmingham sections of Crestline are good, affordable options and are often the choice of UAB Residents, but you'll be looking at private schools for the kiddos. Cahaba Heights gets you Vestavia Hills schools. You could check out Homewood, too, but I think you'll get more bang (size) for your buck (but maybe a little less charm) in Cahaba Heights.

But do the math on what a private school tuition would cost for the one child for a year or so (two years from now) and weigh that against the housing options and prices in the good school vs. the not-so-good school locations.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:10 PM

We have a two year old and one on the way...so they are pretty young. We'd be done with residency by the time the oldest will just be entering 1st or 2nd grade. But we do plan to have more, so if finding the housing I want would be an issue, then I'll skip Avondale--or is it the schools?

Old 09-12-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Mtn Brook and Homewood are closer than Vestavia. I think it would be hard to buy with your price range. Perhaps in parts of Vestavia. West Homewood is also in that range, but the houses might be small for you.
I saw a few rentals in Vestavia hills along and just south of I-459 that looked nice. What is that area like? MIL was told the commute would be too far.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
I saw a few rentals in Vestavia hills along and just south of I-459 that looked nice. What is that area like? MIL was told the commute would be too far.
There's not much in Vestavia that's south of 459 except Liberty Park, and I don't think Liberty Park is in your budget. So you're probably talking about that bit of area around Blue Lake Drive, or the Altadena area around Acton Rd./Caldwell Mill. Both of those areas are fairly quick to get to 280, and on into town.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:00 PM

Is this rental in the Avondale area? Besides the schools, what would be the drawback? Not looking at this particular one right now, but would something similar be conceivable to find? I gather the schools wouldn't be great--is the area safe? I'm not opposed to living in the city--we did it in Dallas for awhile, but were priced out of a rental big enough. I also know things can be sketchy on a block by block basis, though...

(Sorry, I cant find a realtor.com link)
4232 4th Ave S Birmingham, AL 35222

Old 09-12-2013, 04:16 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,804,805 times
Yes that is Avondale. It is an area that is being revitalized into a very pleasant place to live. It still needs to be scouted out because it can get very sketchy just a few blocks in the wrong direction. But from the looks of a map that seems to be in the good part.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:36 PM

Agreed to scout it out personally. Conventional wisdom on Avondale is to stay south of 5th Avenue. Check out Restwood. It's just a few blocks away, but a safer bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area