Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 09:38 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,087,914 times

Advertisements

I am thinking that so much is being announced lately that it can be missed. And some things are small and seem irrelevant , but not on this thread as you will see by my post. I have seen a number of things not mentioned here; so I will mention two of those.

First, I would like to point out how nice it is that accelerated growth in the City Center has made many of us question what is important enough to post. This is the place. Nothing is too small.

Mooyah Burger. A great operation out of Dallas Texas that has been at the Colonnade for a little over a year is opening this year on Seventh Ave. South. This is meaningful because this area has only in the past few years attracted strong businesses on a regional and national level. Finally acknowledging what an economic driver the medical district is on a local level as well as regionally.

Wendy's, (I mentioned on another post) has opened a new concept across from the new VA CLINIC site. (also on Seventh South)
The exterior is very modern and more urban but the interior tells the story. From drink machines like you haven't seen to an electronic fireplace with soft seating areas. (fast food has never been like this and Wendy's isn't even on my radar)

These two operations portend what is coming between Twentieth and the VA. A lot of new businesses to serve many people. The VA parking facility will handle two thousand cars. Most of which will be employees being shuttled off site. That just begs for convenience businesses to serve these people.
These will be transitional businesses taking vacant and unused/underused lots and bringing people and life into the area. But in twenty years much of this type of business will give way to higher density development as Lakeview grows westward.

We are now starting to see something that was predicted decades ago. The medical district crossing Twentieth South and spreading. It started with KIRKLIN CLINIC and now the VA and all that is coming with it.

These are dynamic times. I hope people will speak out when the change is not good. (like Pepsi on top of TWO NORTH TWENTIETH) But, it is exciting and we are witnessing an important time.

Please come back and post any of the smaller 'stuff'.

My last is; BOTTLES AND BONES. The last lease signed at Westin Uptown by the former owner of Freshfully Market from Avondale.
Even this shows how quickly business can evolve. Let us wish her well and drop by when she is open with this very unique concept. Freshfully was great, so I am expecting great things.

Thanks,
Raj Kapoor

Last edited by raj kapoor; 05-09-2014 at 09:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 07:24 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
This is a good idea for a thread. I'm not in commercial real estate, so I don't know how meaningful my contributions are going to be, however.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:16 AM

[quote=cpg35223;34738663]This is a good idea for a thread. I'm not in commercial real estate, so I don't know how meaningful my contributions are going to be, however.[/quote

You are kidding. I know you support local, so this is a good place to bring light to those businesses/projects that are flying low.

Thanks,
Raj

Old 05-10-2014, 08:26 AM

[quote=raj kapoor;34739129]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
This is a good idea for a thread. I'm not in commercial real estate, so I don't know how meaningful my contributions are going to be, however.[/quote

You are kidding. I know you support local, so this is a good place to bring light to those businesses/projects that are flying low.

Thanks,
Raj
True enough.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:49 AM

522 posts, read 847,316 times
I saw where something was being built in front of Eastwood Village, and I found that it was a new Pep Boys. I was hoping for something a little nicer, but I guess any new development in that area is good. I see the main focus in Eastwood is along Montclair Road.

That's all I have for now.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamguy View Post
I saw where something was being built in front of Eastwood Village, and I found that it was a new Pep Boys. I was hoping for something a little nicer, but I guess any new development in that area is good. I see the main focus in Eastwood is along Montclair Road.

Well, Pep Boy's entry into the market shows that they like the overall footprint. They're coming in with several locations.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:58 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,780,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
This is a good idea for a thread.
I agree. We tend to skip the small stuff as we are all hungry for big announcements. But every penny counts.

I am glad Vestavia finally tore that old ratty hotel down. I know they desperately want to improve their doorway. But the used car lots, and Serra has abandoned their Independence lot after the last flood, and the Mish mash of old buildings aren't very pretty. I know they had grand plans for a walkable arcade like retail row but it will take a lot more razing. Plus there's still the matter of the empty Pizza Hut and Ruby Tuesday's. I am shocked that a restaurant or two haven't jumped on those locations. But I pass through there regularly so I will keep an eye on changes.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:00 AM

In the spirit of the thread, the Innovation Depot is just a subject in and of itself. They keep churning out viable tech businesses into the market, one after another. It's really a great deal if you have any kind of startup in the tech or healthcare sectors. The rent is cheap, you get all kinds of support in terms of equipment, and they have all kinds of free networking and seminars. If I had a startup, I'd go there like a shot.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I agree. We tend to skip the small stuff as we are all hungry for big announcements. But every penny counts.

I am glad Vestavia finally tore that old ratty hotel down. I know they desperately want to improve their doorway. But the used car lots, and Serra has abandoned their Independence lot after the last flood, and the Mish mash of old buildings aren't very pretty. I know they had grand plans for a walkable arcade like retail row but it will take a lot more razing. Plus there's still the matter of the empty Pizza Hut and Ruby Tuesday's. I am shocked that a restaurant or two haven't jumped on those locations. But I pass through there regularly so I will keep an eye on changes.
I think HWY280 and I-65 left Vestavia Hills in a bubble. It seems so hard for anything to go over well and for a long period of time.
I did read not long ago that The Egg and I would be opening in the former NONA ROSE location. (sure miss that place, as well as La Paz which followed it) Of course MugShots does really well up there. Very well if you consider they are opening at Westin Uptown this Summer.

The problem up there is that there will never be any good east-west connectors. It is really a long drive down Shades Crest from either Columbiana or HWY280, and then there is nothing that you could not have gotten to closer in Hoover or Homewood.

I don't know if there are plans for the old Motel site? I do know the new city hall complex is going to give VH some focus and add some architecture that isn't commercial.

Raj

PS It was just announced that the paving and improvements of Montgomery Hwy is commencing from the Cahaba River to the top of Shades Mtn., so be prepared for some delays through there for the coming year, Tourian.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamguy View Post

Yes, the Eastwood/Five Points East/Irondale area can only be glad to take what they can get right now.
But with Avondale/North and South Crestwood on one side and a booming Leeds/Moody on the other, it is a matter of time before the infill will start. If Gate City could be cleaned up a lot would change. But that is another thread.

Raj
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area