Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 12:22 PM

779 posts, read 1,010,287 times

Advertisements

What's going to be the next "cool" neighborhood in Birmingham? We all know that Crestwood and Avondale are still catching on, but I think both neighborhoods have passed the point of only the "brave ones" moving in first. So, what do you guys think is the best place? All signs are pointing to Woodlawn because of the REV involvement, but there are so many neighborhoods with a lot of potential. Maybe we are too far away from this with all of the work that still needs to be done downtown but I see a lot of potential in Titusville, East Lake, College Hills, immediately west of I-65 in the downtown area (so many cool old buildings over there), and even Ensley if the crime situation is every fixed. Just wanted to know what you guys think about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 12:36 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Cahaba Heights. Vestavia is about to put some resources into redeveloping the commercial district. That and the parts of Homewood west of Greens Springs are the last OTM neighborhoods where you can get an affordable house and a good school system at the same time.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:47 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Cahaba Heights is going to "win" because real corporate dollars are going in to it. Daniel Corp has a vested interest and they are going to get help from Vestavia to make it happen. It is already a nice place to live, but it is going to get a whole lot nicer with new amenities real fast. The Patchwork Farms thing is a 100M deal.

As you said, I think Woodlawn and East Lake are next for the pioneers. It will be a lot easier for the East to get better because of sharing borders with MB and Southside and Irondale. It is going to be a lot tougher to push in to the West, but hey - violent crime is still dropping so who knows.

As far as suburbs go, I think Trussville/Clay/Argo will be coming up.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:51 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
I would offer up Leeds as well. Still an easier commute than Inverness.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:53 PM

Do you guys also think that Vestavia and Cahaba Heights will be popular for millenials? Hopefully their efforts will look something like the SOHO redevelopments for a more "urban" feel.

I do understand your point about the east being easier. I do assume that's the way it will go. I think Green Springs needs to be cleaned up before anything starts to move over that direction. The "bad" part of Green Springs is such a small little patch that has been neglected. It doesn't seem like it would take very much to fix that up a bit. Maybe even put a little lipstick on that old pig. (Nothing major.)

Old 01-09-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Cahaba Heights is going to "win" because real corporate dollars are going in to it. Daniel Corp has a vested interest and they are going to get help from Vestavia to make it happen. It is already a nice place to live, but it is going to get a whole lot nicer with new amenities real fast. The Patchwork Farms thing is a 100M deal.

As you said, I think Woodlawn and East Lake are next for the pioneers. It will be a lot easier for the East to get better because of sharing borders with MB and Southside and Irondale. It is going to be a lot tougher to push in to the West, but hey - violent crime is still dropping so who knows.

As far as suburbs go, I think Trussville/Clay/Argo will be coming up.
Btw, since I moved to Birmingham 3 years ago, I heard a lot about how people were buying up houses in East Lake and renovating. I kept hearing that it was in the middle of a revitalization. I've driven over there so many times over the past few years just to see what it was all about but I never find anything. It still looks very rough to me. Am I missing something? Is there like one block that I'm missing?

Old 01-09-2015, 02:42 PM

415 posts, read 802,343 times
Norwood? Or has it already reached this status?

Old 01-09-2015, 03:59 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
Btw, since I moved to Birmingham 3 years ago, I heard a lot about how people were buying up houses in East Lake and renovating. I kept hearing that it was in the middle of a revitalization. I've driven over there so many times over the past few years just to see what it was all about but I never find anything. It still looks very rough to me. Am I missing something? Is there like one block that I'm missing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrockills View Post
Norwood? Or has it already reached this status?
I don't think East Lake has quite made it yet, or at least isn't as far along as Norwood is, and certainly not has glamorized as Avondale.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:31 PM

Hmmm.... I forgot about Norwood. Although, I don't ever hear a whole lot about it. I've heard it's quite the charming neighborhood but in the three years I've been here, I've never been there.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:49 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
Continuing revitalization of the center city will drag Norwood, Woodlawn, and East Lake along. (I can remember when I thought Crestwood was a lost cause. I am so glad I am wrong now and then)

Avondale's turn around is directly related to the center city's growth.

On the west side I hope to see measurable activity along Bush Blvd. and College hills. The amount of traffic that is going to be taken off of Arkadelphia Road interchange will alow the city to develop a nice, appealing gateway to College Hills, without the truck route atmosphere. (about nine months to go)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area