Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2015, 09:26 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Tony View Post
Pretty is subjective . . . until it's obvious. Unless you think Tehran can be more attractive that Savannah, GA, let's have some honesty. Take that mouse of yours and find the Zagat article I linked. I can provide more if need be. All sans Memphis. BBQ? We do it better. As does KC, as does Texas.

Ha ha, and Beale? The same street you have to walk through metal detectors to access on the weekends? The same street the city council was (maybe still are) planning to enforce a $10 entrance fee for, to keep the criminals away? Uh, nah, nothing like that around here. Thank goodness. Otherwise, Memphis may edge our nightlife. May. If so, only marginally.
Tehran vs Savanah is equal to Memphis vs Birmingham? I stopped reading after that poor analogy. I'm not a Memphis homer, but I definitely don't see anything that makes Birmingham special or better than a similar sized peer southern city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 09:34 AM

401 posts, read 536,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Tehran vs Savanah is equal to Memphis vs Birmingham? I stopped reading after that poor analogy. I'm not a Memphis homer, but I definitely don't see anything that makes Birmingham special or better than a similar sized peer southern city.
The analogy wasn't drawing full stop comparisons to those four places, rather underscoring the fact that subjectivity gets checked at some point. Aesthetic superiority can be quite obvious, you know. You won't find many people that think the Memphis metro is prettier than Birmingham's. If you don't believe me, go start a poll on city v. city. It's geography, shug. Just like greater Los Angeles is far prettier than Birmingham.

Flat swamplands that meet a polluted river vs. ubiquitous green canopy covering mountains and ridgelines. It's not really close. Methinks you haven't been to Birmingham . . . it's kinda sorta what newcomers remark on the most. Our geography is unique. Memphis, ummmmmm. Our architecture is also superior.

Last edited by 280Tony; 07-02-2015 at 09:50 AM..

Old 07-02-2015, 10:59 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,537 times
I think B'ham may very well become a foodie destination, if it isn't already. It's certainly getting a lot of attention, and rightfully so. There are lots of places I'd love to drive down & try. HSV is nice & all and there are some bright spots here & there but the dining scene leaves a lot to be desired.

Food doesn't draw everyone, however. It makes for a nice quality of life for those who live in the area (if you can afford to eat at the nice places), as do parks and the beautiful geography of the B'ham area. But that doesn't constitute a general tourist draw.

Pittsburgh is in a lovely setting that reminds me a lot of Chattanooga (on a larger scale of course). The city is on the rivers, surrounded by green hills & "mountains". They have a very urban core, and nice restaurants, parks, major league sports, etc. But I certainly don't think of Pittsburgh as a destination city.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:14 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
Therefore it doesn't just seem to be a state 'put down', but would be taken as a put down by many who do not realize they are part of Birmingham.
It would be very important for the ad campaign going forward to be inclusive of the many areas of Birmingham as in Greater Birmingham. We all know there are those that will balk and complain if they showed images of the Galleria (never mind its Hyatt Regency of Birmingham), Talladega Speedway, Shoal Creek or Ross Bridge, etc. The many kingdoms of the metro would all have to be onboard with the branding and the all inclusive name of just Birmingham before it could gain any real traction.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:10 AM

109 posts, read 144,668 times
I went to the Galleria in May for the first time in many years and in my opinion was very disappointed. It could be me being away for a long time and going to shopping areas and malls in another country but it seemed to have really gone seriously downhill since I was there last (again many years ago).

We only drove through the Summit so didn't go shopping there so perhaps it has taken over? But having said that it didn't seen t be so large but perhaps this is just my impression.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:20 AM

33 posts, read 52,678 times
You have to be kidding me ? The galleria is an awesome mall . People from all over shop in Bham .

Old 07-03-2015, 09:03 AM

They just spent over 100 million on the big G in interior improvements. They've also done a good job of filling some empty spaces brought on by retailers restructuring on a national scale.

I don't know how big the Summit is supposed to be to be enough, but it is still the upscale premier destination in the city and it does have a leg up over the Galleria in upscale shopping and unique to the state retailers, but the G still has it in size and volume of shoppers and overall square footage. The Winfrey just got rebranded as a Hyatt Regency, the only one in the state.

With the new Whole Foods coming in across the street (from the Galleria) as well as a new face being put on that center and whatever surprise new to the area retailers that the developer has hinted at and along with the adjacent Patton Creek, the 150/31 shopping area will be that much more formidable as a destination for the metro area for shoppers with the RG as the crown jewel.

The Summit has the benefit of being near the new hospital, its supporting Collonade shopping center, the office complex and the professional health service buildings and the fully loaded 459/280 intersection. The hospital is an engine for major development which will bring a captive local audience of professional people, workers and residents because of the nearby apartments, Hilton hotel and the gangload of vehicles that pass through there every day. They are always looking to add more new to the area retailers...like Trader Joe's for instance.

So...no - I'm not too concerned with Birmingham's premier shopping destinations not being nice enough or big enough to draw people from all over the state and beyond. And yes, I am well aware that there's nicer things out there.

Last edited by Tourian; 07-03-2015 at 09:11 AM..

Old 07-03-2015, 03:37 PM

As I said for me the Galleria was a disappointment, will look forward to checking out the Summit when we move there.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJSim View Post
As I said for me the Galleria was a disappointment, will look forward to checking out the Summit when we move there.
Hey, that's cool. I was just giving a more indepth description and why I think they're both nice. My guess is you'll be disappointed with the Summit too.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:02 PM

Tourian, I should have thanked you for your response and information, my post was in response to Urbanvibes.

I only spent a few hours at the Galleria with my husband and father one Saturday afternoon and it seemed a bit dead to us. Husband needed a few specific things he couldn't find and then had as it turned out a very bad haircut. We just had a bad impression overall but this impression was after just one visit so perhaps unfair.

Perhaps for me it has been so long since I had been there I couldn't see the improvements you mentioned. In all fairness the last mall I have shopped regularly was in a very large city so again very unfair to compare this experience to the Galleria. Will no doubt be using it once we are living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area