Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 08:50 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,780,723 times

Advertisements

If we are going to include suburbs, you have to include all of them - again, for the sake of discussion. Most desirable suburbs are another matter. But there are several mostly black Birmingham suburbs:

Bessemer- 72%
Fairfield - 90%
Midfield - 59%
Centerpoint - 63%
Brighton - 89%
Lipscomb - 65%

There are a few mostly white suburbs which aren't necessarily where "everyone wants to live"
Tarrant - 79%
Pleasant Grove - 84%
Hueytown - 83%
Pinson - 89%

Forestdale is a push at about 50/50 - depending on which side of it you are on...heh.
Irondale is a nice place to live and has pretty even distribution.

So in the interest of full disclosure, we should talk about ALL of Birmingham's suburbs - not just cherry pick the best ones where all the MONEY is and not just necessarily where all the white people are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 08:58 AM

779 posts, read 1,011,109 times
What is the point of all this discussion about % of race in an area? America is still over 60% white. That means white are the majority. It stands to reason that there are whole town or regions where white is the majority. Even if that wasn't true, I'm still wondering what the point is... Are we saying that Birmingham should do something about the fact that it's majority black? Omg, are they being racist to white people? What kind of bill do you guys propose to the city council to help poor pitiful outnumbered white people?

Old 07-29-2015, 11:56 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,773,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
If we are going to include suburbs, you have to include all of them - again, for the sake of discussion. Most desirable suburbs are another matter. But there are several mostly black Birmingham suburbs:

Bessemer- 72%
Fairfield - 90%
Midfield - 59%
Centerpoint - 63%
Brighton - 89%
Lipscomb - 65%

There are a few mostly white suburbs which aren't necessarily where "everyone wants to live"
Tarrant - 79%
Pleasant Grove - 84%
Hueytown - 83%
Pinson - 89%

Forestdale is a push at about 50/50 - depending on which side of it you are on...heh.
Irondale is a nice place to live and has pretty even distribution.

So in the interest of full disclosure, we should talk about ALL of Birmingham's suburbs - not just cherry pick the best ones where all the MONEY is and not just necessarily where all the white people are.
Don't know where you got your data, but I got Pleasant Grove as 51% white (not 84%) Hueytown 71% (not 83%), Pinson 78% (not 89%), and Tarrant 37% (not 79%).

...So none of those are over 80% white.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Don't know where you got your data, but I got Pleasant Grove as 51% white (not 84%) Hueytown 71% (not 83%), Pinson 78% (not 89%), and Tarrant 37% (not 79%).

...So none of those are over 80% white.
I wasn't claiming any of them were over 80% white, that's just what wiki says, and now that I look back I see that's probably 2000 data. As if that matters at all, just that there are other suburbs with other ranging demographics. And not all of the majority white ones are the places most people want to live as you claimed.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:49 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,773,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I wasn't claiming any of them were over 80% white, that's just what wiki says, and now that I look back I see that's probably 2000 data. As if that matters at all, just that there are other suburbs with other ranging demographics. And not all of the majority white ones are the places most people want to live as you claimed.
STRAWMAN. I said by and large. Tourian twisting words. What's new?

I'm also going to venture that Tarrant and Pleasant Grove's demographics have not changed that drastically between 2000 and 2010.

Furthermore, my reply was simply correcting the misnomer that only a very few number of suburbs were >80% white when there are actually quite a few.

This entire topic branch is idiotic because a city could be 50/50 and the most segregated place in the world. Hoover may be like 75% white, but go take a look at Greystone and then an apartment complex back behind the Galleria and tell me those numbers mean anything.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:08 PM

I set all that up to look at the suburbs as a whole. Not just cherry pick the good ones. It isn't "by and large." Just the richest southern rim suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area