Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 08:37 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,761,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
I agree with this, but I don't see where the growth would come from. Bessemer hates Birmingham so that will never happen, at least not anytime soon. What to those poor areas add, except more people?
I did not know that Bessemer hated Birmingham, how do you come to that conclusion?
And as far as what those poor areas add, that was what my whole post was about - if you aren't going to bother to read it don't bother responding. I just feel like sometimes people are contrary for the sake of being contrary and don't care about anything else. If that's what you are about I don't care to discuss it. It is all there in my prior post. They (except Lipscomb) all have valuable 20/59 frontage that could be developed for plenty of revenue and improve the overall impression the city as a whole has.

Quote:
Whoa now, give credit where it's supposed to be given. CHURCHES are gentrifying these areas, at least East Lake. Don't say the city is doing it, that's a lie.

The city. The community. The people are doing it. That includes the churches and the private initiative. I was not trying to mislead or fabricate or give credit where it wasn't deserved. But thanks though.

Quote:
Trying to create an urban core is not a patent Birmingham owns.
I didn't say it was. However Hoover is obviously taking a page and taking notice of what is going on in Birmingham. A lot of cities are. They want that too, but they aren't going to get it. The best I think they can do is find ways to complement Birmingham in ways that Birmingham can't and be supportive and symbiotic as opposed to butting heads and wasting resources in building competing and duplicate facilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 10:55 AM

904 posts, read 830,961 times
I lived in Bessemer for about 9 years before moving to Birmingham, and I know for a fact that Bessemer doesn't hate Birmingham.

@Tourian
I definitely want to see the city take in Fairfield. I wasn't a fan of taking in Brighton or Lipscomb, but I can see how the interstate frontage would benefit the city. I guess what I'm saying is that we should only take in cities that are already densely populated. I just don't want to see the city sprawl too far from the core. I could see Fairfield, Brighton, Midfield, Homewood, and Mountain Brook added to the city. And, before the usual suspects jump on me, I AM NOT SAYING THAT HOMEWOOD OR MOUNTAIN BROOK WOULD CHOOSE TO JOIN THE CITY OF BIRMINGHAM. This is just my idea of a perfect densely populated urban city.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:03 AM

Oh I getit , you are absolutely right. Homewood, Vestavia and M-B are most certainly part of Birmingham's urbanized area and are directly tied to its history and its successes. People like to carve them out and set them aside when they want to throw rocks at Birmingham, but they are not and should not be considered separate in the cultural fabric that is Birmingham, no matter what some arbitrary lines on a map may say.

I do think however if Birmingham were to clean up its image, reduce crime and reduce blight that there would be less of this harsh polarization going on and harsh pushback whenever this comes up. If 20/59 was a scenic and pleasant drive at least most of the way through, that would clean up the city's image for casual travelers because when they see a blighted Brighton/Lipscomb exit that they wouldn't dare stop at, they don't think "Wow, that Brighton sure does look rough". No, they think, "Wow Birmingham sure does look rough." and they perhaps keep pushing until they get to Irondale or Fultondale or Hoover before they look for a place to stop. Whenever I get caught up in traffic in Alabaster around the Promenade or in Trussville on 11 or going past Academy in Bessemer, I think about how much better the city could be with a cleaner doorstep/main drive. We all know what the city has to offer if you take the time to REALLY visit and actually get OFF the interstate, but it would be nice to capture that shallow, skin deep drive by impression that lots of people will judge you on when they only pass through to somewhere else. And as well as to make attractions like Alabama Adventures and the Crossplex have more support and supporting infrastructure.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:52 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,163,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Sure the opportunity is there, but I'd rather see it happen sooner rather than later and right now Tallapoosa and 79 aren't very inviting. Nor do they give traveler's warm and fuzzies about doing business or staying near the airport. It will and is already an important commercial corridor but that's it. Tarrant frontage on 79 isn't very nice.
Well everything takes time. Birmingham didn't all of a sudden get excited as it has today. It took time to get there. 99 neighborhhoods and they all are not going to be getting attention at the same time, especially the ones that really need it. That just how it goes. Hwy 79 isn't Hwy 78. Hwy 79 don't travel to a major city, but there are many, many industries on hwy 79 from tarrant to pinson off those side roads. Not to mention all the traffic coming from blount county residents. where it does see a ton of commerical trucks daily. The circle k gas station off the exit sees a lot of trucks on a daily. The opportunity is great there, just need someone to believe.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:57 AM

The first leg of 422 is being built at 79 to 75 and will eventually stretch further to serve that area better for commuters and there is a grocery store anchored shopping center in development for that area. If Birmingham lands what ever Sunrise is and with the recent expansion of Kamtech there is and will be more workers commuting on 79. So I think it will improve on its own as the businesses ramp up as well as bring up Pinson too. All I am saying is that the surrounding area immediately around the airport could use a facelift with some hotels and places to eat that are inviting to the general public since we dont have light rail to whisk them away to Uptown just yet.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:41 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,409,922 times
Are there any announced plans for development in northern JeffCo once I-22 is fully operational?

Old 05-14-2017, 08:45 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,409,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
Their new young mayor is only in the city for council meetings. He works and lives in the ATL. He is trying to run his almost dead city from a different state. Smh!

Some Brighton residents displeased with mayor over Atlanta condo, job
And he was allowed to run for mayor? Better yet, the citizens voted for him?

Old 05-14-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
Are there any announced plans for development in northern JeffCo once I-22 is fully operational?
22 is fully operational. Theres already some significant industrial development along it in Walker co and beyond. Development in jefferson still favors 65, but more is likely to come eventually.

Last edited by Tourian; 05-14-2017 at 09:25 AM..

Old 05-17-2017, 11:38 AM

904 posts, read 830,961 times
Downtown Bessemer revitalization gaining momentum. Mayor Gulley has been really good for that city!

WBRC : Bessemer's Lincoln Theatre restoration

Old 05-17-2017, 12:32 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,983,748 times
Quote:

The city. The community. The people are doing it. That includes the churches and the private initiative. I was not trying to mislead or fabricate or give credit where it wasn't deserved. But thanks though..
Churches ALWAYS start gentrification, then others get on board after the heavy lifting.

Quote:
I didn't say it was. However Hoover is obviously taking a page and taking notice of what is going on in Birmingham. A lot of cities are. They want that too, but they aren't going to get it. The best I think they can do is find ways to complement Birmingham in ways that Birmingham can't and be supportive and symbiotic as opposed to butting heads and wasting resources in building competing and duplicate facilities.
We agree there. At this point, all Hoover has done is hire a planner. They may have some ideas about a downtown, but I truly hope they don't try to do it. I think they should steer towards a more sidewalk/green space/fitness theme, rather than an urban downtown. Too many other areas have a headstart on that. And yes, they need to be complimentary, not adversarial, to Birmingham. But until that attitude is shared throughout, it's kind of hard to expect anyone to really do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area