Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 04:53 PM

3 posts, read 4,245 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I would like honest opinions on the quality of life for a Black family with young children (2 under 5). We are considering Nashville and Birmingham as places to move. There are a lot of things to love about New Orleans but a lot of everyday issues that are too much (i.e. schools, general dysfunction).

We have visited Birmingham and like the Homewood area. I wonder about real diversity in the area and diversity of the schools. What is the day to day like for transplants to the City? Is this an 'if you aren't from here town, you can't really get ahead'

We have lived and worked in MD/DC and although we love it there, the pace is just too much. We want to have access to amenities, great quality of life, and cultural/social diverse experiences.

Any thoughts, experiences appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 05:05 PM

10,505 posts, read 7,074,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquil9 View Post
Hi,

I would like honest opinions on the quality of life for a Black family with young children (2 under 5). We are considering Nashville and Birmingham as places to move. There are a lot of things to love about New Orleans but a lot of everyday issues that are too much (i.e. schools, general dysfunction).

We have visited Birmingham and like the Homewood area. I wonder about real diversity in the area and diversity of the schools. What is the day to day like for transplants to the City? Is this an 'if you aren't from here town, you can't really get ahead'

We have lived and worked in MD/DC and although we love it there, the pace is just too much. We want to have access to amenities, great quality of life, and cultural/social diverse experiences.

From the people I know, Homewood, Hoover, and Spain Park are school systems that have worked hard to support a culture of diversity. Vestavia as well. As someone who lives in Mountain Brook (And can't wait to move downtown), I would like to say we're making headway, but it remains almost exclusively white. In the professional sphere, a lot of the ossified social structure has broken down over town. For example, UAB, BCBS, and the banks such as Regions and Compass have really worked at breaking the Old Boy network. With that in mind, what kind of industry are you in?

So I guess what I'm saying is that Birmingham has made a lot of progress in a lot of ways, but I can't tell you whether or not we've made enough. To me, I think there's no substitute for actually visiting and touring around.

Hope that wasn't too vague.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:09 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,492,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquil9 View Post
Hi,

This thread will assist you with your relocation interest:

Moving Here? Need Advice? Help Us Help You.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:11 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,611,232 times
I was a transplant to Bham and really enjoyed Bham and Homewood, after I settled in. By the time I moved to Homewood I had an interracial family, although neither of us are black. While Homewood can be insular and provincial in some ways, I think in general people like diversity. Young families that want a convenient, walkable, and pretty diverse high-performing school system often choose there.

I know many black families seeking a good suburban school in a nice community also choose Bluff Park in Hoover. I like a little tighter development pattern, and you can't beat the proximity of Homewood if you work in Bham proper, but I think that's a good choice... and you avoid what in the area what is considered a very high price/sq ft in Homewood.

I can't speak to specific neighborhoods, but Nashville is definitely going to be a more dynamic, larger metro. What you choose there depends on what you are looking for.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:14 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,611,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
From the people I know, Homewood, Hoover, and Spain Park are school systems that have worked hard to support a culture of diversity. Vestavia as well. As someone who lives in Mountain Brook (And can't wait to move downtown), I would like to say we're making headway, but it remains almost exclusively white. In the professional sphere, a lot of the ossified social structure has broken down over town. For example, UAB, BCBS, and the banks such as Regions and Compass have really worked at breaking the Old Boy network. With that in mind, what kind of industry are you in?

So I guess what I'm saying is that Birmingham has made a lot of progress in a lot of ways, but I can't tell you whether or not we've made enough. To me, I think there's no substitute for actually visiting and touring around.

Hope that wasn't too vague.
I agree that I consider Homewood, Hoover, and Spain Park high schools to generally be the most diverse in the region.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:00 AM

270 posts, read 532,569 times
Homewood high school is 35% black. Birmingham is plenty big enough that there is definitely no "If you aren't from here, you can't get ahead" vibe. Come to Birmingham, and you will be pleasantly surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area