Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 11:52 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,880,049 times

Advertisements

In light of yesterday's loss of the Amazon bid. It seems that Birmingham is content on only being known for its food scene and civil rights history. Our civil rights history has become more of a negative for most people it's seems than a positive. That era is used against us by other cities even though it doesn't represent what Birmingham is in 2018. It's like reminding someone how much they used to drink even though they haven't had a drink in almost 60 years. How many years, decades, generations must past before this city can finally break its ties to that dark period in history?

Our food scene, while awesome and is nationally recognized, doesn't do much when it comes to creating the high paying jobs this area desperately needs. Sure it's cool to have the variety of options we have for a city our size but what good is it when a significant portion of the population can't even afford to walk in the door, much less enjoy a meal?

Can Birmingham be known as a tech hub, or a media production hub, a major transportation hub? etc?

Old 01-19-2018, 12:50 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,419,380 times
Hills, Steel/Iron and etc. but for the most part I think we can consider that as having a culture and identity. To answer the question...

But I think Birmingham should stay proud about its Civil Rights History, because it’s just that...History. If we don’t keep our history alive, who will? The people who think it’s a negative are close minded, those are the kind of individuals who freeze up or get uncomfortable when a discussion about race gets brought up.

Birmingham will never be a “Tech Hub,” “Media Hub,” or “Transportation Hub.” But when it comes to anything related to this, if anything, I see Birmingham as diversifying its Job market more and more. That’s where Birmingham will shine imo...

Old 01-19-2018, 01:05 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,558,895 times
B'ham is also known for it's sports medicine too via UAB. But that's more of a bullet point when compared to civil rights and what not.

Given what Raleigh has become in the past 5 years for tech, I'd never say never about B'ham. You just never know.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Hills, Steel/Iron and etc. but for the most part I think we can consider that as having a culture and identity. To answer the question...

But I think Birmingham should stay proud about its Civil Rights History, because it’s just that...History. If we don’t keep our history alive, who will? The people who think it’s a negative are close minded, those are the kind of individuals who freeze up or get uncomfortable when a discussion about race gets brought up.

Birmingham will never be a “Tech Hub,” “Media Hub,” or “Transportation Hub.” But when it comes to anything related to this, if anything, I see Birmingham as diversifying its Job market more and more. That’s where Birmingham will shine imo...
I say it's a becoming a negative because cities probably use it against us when it comes to competing for economic development and a lot people from other parts of the region and country use it against us in a negative way as well when making comparisons between this city and Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Jacksonville, etc. This is coming from a 30 something black gay male who has lived here most of my life.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:36 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
In light of yesterday's loss of the Amazon bid. It seems that Birmingham is content on only being known for its food scene and civil rights history. Our civil rights history has become more of a negative for most people it's seems than a positive. That era is used against us by other cities even though it doesn't represent what Birmingham is in 2018. It's like reminding someone how much they used to drink even though they haven't had a drink in almost 60 years. How many years, decades, generations must past before this city can finally break its ties to that dark period in history?

Our food scene, while awesome and is nationally recognized, doesn't do much when it comes to creating the high paying jobs this area desperately needs. Sure it's cool to have the variety of options we have for a city our size but what good is it when a significant portion of the population can't even afford to walk in the door, much less enjoy a meal?

Can Birmingham be known as a tech hub, or a media production hub, a major transportation hub? etc?
Birmingham is a financial hub at this point of its history. A ton of banking talent around here. At minimum, it's the financial center of the state of Alabama. Healthcare too. But how far outside of this state does that reach?

Food and recreation/tourism (which includes civil rights)? Those are good for any place, and yes, Birmingham has plenty of that. But let's just say Alabama isn't Florida, which is an example of an economy based on tourism. Yeah Alabama has the beaches but they aren't comparable to Florida or California.

After that, not really sure what Birmingham is. Huntsville is the tech center of Alabama, that is not changing. Montgomery is the government.

Atlanta is the major transportation hub, 2 hours away.

With Alabama, you really have to look at things in a statewide perspective. You have the automotive manufacturing industry coming alive as a whole, then Airbus in Mobile.

You have to look at what is drawing people in from outside, rather than what going on within the state/city limit lines. There will always be SOME business. At this point, for Birmingham, it's banking and simply because it is a big metro area.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:59 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,603,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post

If the civil rights history is embraced, I don't see what's not to love about civil rights and food.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
If the civil rights history is embraced, I don't see what's not to love about civil rights and food.
Neither one brings the jobs that are desperately needed here, nor does it lower the poverty rate in the city. Birmingham is like the doughnut hole in the fastest growing region in the country, no growth in any category this decade. Furthermore this is the only metro with over a million that still gets labeled as the "old south" by many.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Birmingham is a financial hub at this point of its history. A ton of banking talent around here. At minimum, it's the financial center of the state of Alabama. Healthcare too. But how far outside of this state does that reach?

Food and recreation/tourism (which includes civil rights)? Those are good for any place, and yes, Birmingham has plenty of that. But let's just say Alabama isn't Florida, which is an example of an economy based on tourism. Yeah Alabama has the beaches but they aren't comparable to Florida or California.

After that, not really sure what Birmingham is. Huntsville is the tech center of Alabama, that is not changing. Montgomery is the government.

Atlanta is the major transportation hub, 2 hours away.

With Alabama, you really have to look at things in a statewide perspective. You have the automotive manufacturing industry coming alive as a whole, then Airbus in Mobile.

You have to look at what is drawing people in from outside, rather than what going on within the state/city limit lines. There will always be SOME business. At this point, for Birmingham, it's banking and simply because it is a big metro area.
Charlotte is the banking hub of the South. Healthcare? Maybe, but again Atlanta and the usual suspects can match or surpass what we have here.

I guess at this point Birmingham is the Detroit of the South. Maybe we can be a historic preservation hub😒😒😔.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:04 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,162,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
B'ham is also known for it's sports medicine too via UAB. But that's more of a bullet point when compared to civil rights and what not.

Given what Raleigh has become in the past 5 years for tech, I'd never say never about B'ham. You just never know.
Right,never say never. I think the Birmingham region has more going for it than what you guys are giving it credit for.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:41 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Incredibly hot women. There. I said it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area