Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2023, 05:36 PM

136 posts, read 116,898 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I’m considering moving to the Bham area to work remotely, as it’s closer to my family and in-laws while still having good amenities and cost of living.

I’m married with a young kid, probably more kids in the future. Our budget is probably $400kish, and we need enough space to have a home office and family living space. The closer to B’ham we are, the better, just because I don’t want to be a 30 min drive from everything. But for the space we need, we’re probably priced out of Homewood and most of Vestavia. We’d also like a neighborhood that’s good for young families, not mostly older folks or retirees (nothing against them! Just want our kids to have neighborhood friends if possible).

Where are places you’d look based on that criteria? Or places to avoid?

I’m somewhat familiar with B’ham but I’d love advice from true locals. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2023, 10:36 PM

542 posts, read 557,983 times
In terms of good school systems, Irondale, Hoover (more western side, less Greystone side), Trussville, Helena, and Pelham are probably the best bets, though Helena and Pelham are pushing it somewhat in terms of distance from the city center. If not caring about schools districts, McCalla/southern Bessemer, Gardendale, parts of Fultondale, would have good accessibility with the stereotypical suburban homes. Though the northern Dales don't have as much local things to do (anything big beyond Five Mile Creek stuff?), and northern Bessemer isn't in the best of shape (Though it does have some good local things to do).

One thing to note on that. Suburbs in Birmingham tend to have more things to do than suburbs typically do in other cities. There's more reason to visit Mountain Brook, Homewood, Montevallo, Irondale, Leeds or Pelham for a day than a lot of the Nashville suburbs, for example. Even "bad" areas like Bessemer, Fairfield or Ensley have stuff that's worth seeing. (Also the city center has good things, too. Though, I would look things up first. Birmingham doesn't have a singular "tourist trap district" where everything is concentrated. It's spread out across the city just like the suburbs. Part of the reason Birmingham's been getting bigger on trails and the like is partially to connect all the sites together.)

So there's very few places in the Birmingham area that's "30 minutes from everything." This is especially true if you take the work commute out of the picture. Unless, of course, you mean specific chain stores like Costco. If that's the case, make a general search for grocery stores in google maps. The areas with higher concentrations of normal looking grocery stores tend to be more in line with that.

Old 04-03-2023, 06:24 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemean View Post
In terms of good school systems, Irondale, Hoover (more western side, less Greystone side), Trussville, Helena, and Pelham are probably the best bets, though Helena and Pelham are pushing it somewhat in terms of distance from the city center. If not caring about schools districts, McCalla/southern Bessemer, Gardendale, parts of Fultondale, would have good accessibility with the stereotypical suburban homes. Though the northern Dales don't have as much local things to do (anything big beyond Five Mile Creek stuff?), and northern Bessemer isn't in the best of shape (Though it does have some good local things to do).

One thing to note on that. Suburbs in Birmingham tend to have more things to do than suburbs typically do in other cities. There's more reason to visit Mountain Brook, Homewood, Montevallo, Irondale, Leeds or Pelham for a day than a lot of the Nashville suburbs, for example. Even "bad" areas like Bessemer, Fairfield or Ensley have stuff that's worth seeing. (Also the city center has good things, too. Though, I would look things up first. Birmingham doesn't have a singular "tourist trap district" where everything is concentrated. It's spread out across the city just like the suburbs. Part of the reason Birmingham's been getting bigger on trails and the like is partially to connect all the sites together.)

So there's very few places in the Birmingham area that's "30 minutes from everything." This is especially true if you take the work commute out of the picture. Unless, of course, you mean specific chain stores like Costco. If that's the case, make a general search for grocery stores in google maps. The areas with higher concentrations of normal looking grocery stores tend to be more in line with that.

If the poster bargain hunts, Vestavia isn't out of the question, especially the area around Greens Springs Highway. I was going to suggest Cahaba Heights, which has been traditionally affordable, but people have finally caught on to what great potential that area has.

That being said, the OP might be better off renting for a year and then buying. Right now, home prices are still on the sugar high of low interest rates from last year.

Old 04-03-2023, 08:35 AM

Thanks for all the feedback!

I’m not sure if we’ll put our kid(s) in public school, private (probably Christian) school, or homeschool. But all options are on the table so I don’t want to live in a poor school district, at a minimum.

Renting for a year is also an option. I’m just not very confident the housing market is going to get much lower in the near future and I’ve been renting for a long time. So hopefully I can buy, but we’ll see.

How is Chelsea? It’s a bit far from B’ham and I’ve heard 280 sucks, but I wouldn’t have a commute so there’s that benefit.

Old 04-03-2023, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama211 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback!

I’m not sure if we’ll put our kid(s) in public school, private (probably Christian) school, or homeschool. But all options are on the table so I don’t want to live in a poor school district, at a minimum.

Renting for a year is also an option. I’m just not very confident the housing market is going to get much lower in the near future and I’ve been renting for a long time. So hopefully I can buy, but we’ll see.

How is Chelsea? It’s a bit far from B’ham and I’ve heard 280 sucks, but I wouldn’t have a commute so there’s that benefit.

Chelsea is certainly affordable. At the same time, it will be a slog if you want to head into town for anything, including grabbing a bite to eat at a nicer restaurant, seeing a concert, and a host of other things. And while you work from home, the traffic might be an issue if your spouse needs to work.

That might be my injecting bias into the equation, because we enjoy dining out, going to concerts, and other cultural amenities. But if you move to Chelsea, you put yourself out there on the periphery.

Old 04-03-2023, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Chelsea is certainly affordable. At the same time, it will be a slog if you want to head into town for anything, including grabbing a bite to eat at a nicer restaurant, seeing a concert, and a host of other things. And while you work from home, the traffic might be an issue if your spouse needs to work.

That might be my injecting bias into the equation, because we enjoy dining out, going to concerts, and other cultural amenities. But if you move to Chelsea, you put yourself out there on the periphery.
That makes sense, and that’s my concern with the places a little more far flung.

The frustrating part is that we could afford a house in Vestsvia or the nicer neighborhoods in B’ham, which is what I’d like. But we probably can’t afford a place that’s not just large enough to live in, but large enough for me to have a relatively quiet, dedicated space for work.

From what I’ve seen so far, certain areas around Hoover and Pelham/Helena seem to offer the best mix of things we’re looking for.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:00 AM

666 posts, read 516,467 times
Eagle Point in Hoover! For whatever reason, homes are priced low in that area and I have no idea why. At least when I looked, I was surprised at what you can get for the $.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:17 AM

13,615 posts, read 7,932,752 times
You'll get a lot of bang for your buck (relatively speaking) in Irondale (35210 zip code). It's much more racially mixed than Mountain Brook, though.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:20 AM

13,615 posts, read 7,932,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama211 View Post
Chelsea has a lot of newer construction, and it has a highly rated school district.

It is very far from the interesting parts of Birmingham though. With Oak Mountain in between Chelsea and Birmingham, 280 is the only way in and out unless you want to go allllllll the way around to I-65.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Chelsea has a lot of newer construction, and it has a highly rated school district.

It is very far from the interesting parts of Birmingham though. With Oak Mountain in between Chelsea and Birmingham, 280 is the only way in and out unless you want to go allllllll the way around to I-65.

Yep. It really boils down to a lifestyle choice. My wife has a bunch of friends who live out in Greystone and love it there. But they might as well be out on in the middle of nowhere in terms of going to really good restaurants, concerts, and other events. Mind you, there are a few good places to eat that are not chains out there, but not nearly the number and variety you get closer in. The restaurant community is just a terrific asset to the metro area.

Plus if there's a major wreck anywhere on 280, you might as well not leave home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area