Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 01:12 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Oh, come on. Plastic is plastic!

There are also different grades of cardboard, but it's still cardboard.
...Yeah but some is ****ty cardboard that'll fall to pieces if you so much as think of water, where as some is high quality and durable.

....How is material quality, or even feel, a hard thing to understand?

If plastic is plastic, I guess car is car too, and we'll all save money by buying Tata Nanos or whatever they're called.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 01:31 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
The interior: The difference is vast but for $30,000 you can't expect the same degree of refinement.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:37 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
The interior: The difference is vast but for $30,000 you can't expect the same degree of refinement.
That is a definite truth, the Mustang interior looks all right for what it costs (starting in the mid twenty thousands). I'm just pointing out differences in case someone here deludes themselves into thinking they are getting anything close to the quality you get with a $60k BMW (or even a $40k 3 series) with a $40k Mustang.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Absolutely not, and for the price, I'd say this newest generation Mustang is very competitive, impressively so. If they hold up quality wise too, they're a steal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
That is a definite truth, the Mustang interior looks all right for what it costs (starting in the mid twenty thousands). I'm just pointing out differences in case someone here deludes themselves into thinking they are getting anything close to the quality you get with a $60k BMW (or even a $40k 3 series) with a $40k Mustang.
Exactly.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:02 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
Quote:
I could basically go on all day because besides the obvious differences in quality, the devil is in the details. For anyone complaining that some members are digging deep to find the difference you have to realize that some of the most significant differences at first appear subtle. The way the individual knobs are shaped, how each one clicks when turned, how much or how little tactile feed back is given, etc all add up to separate a cheap interior from a more expensive one. The interior really is the sum of its parts and you can look at cars costing $100k+ to see just how much effort is spend on making sure the little things feel and look perfect. That's where the money is spent.
I understand small details quite well, I work with devices that are on the scale of nanometers and micrometers every single day, clean rooms that do not exceed 1000 particles per cubic foot, etc. However your argument is assuming that in all of the comparisons mentioned the differences are vast... something that I wager is not true.

If it weren't a total waste of my time I would really like to do a "pepsi challenge" with all of the details mentioned. I'll have bins of plastic pieces for people to fondle, tables of knobs and buttons for playing with, shifters and levers to be moved, etc. Everything will have a serial number and each person will get a spreadsheet and a pencil then they can rate which feels the best. I think it would prove that most things that people perceive to be "quaility" is purely in their imagination.

30 years ago this may have been a valid discussion when everything was analog/mechanical and when you pushed a button or turned a knob it actually moved something something behind the panel. With everything digital/electronic these days, buttons and knobs only have to make a microscopic switch contact and the signal is relayed or even better the buttons use capacitive sensing. With no need to focus on how well the button accuates all of the time and money can be spent on making sure the buttons and knobs feel good. Back then this was an expensive endeavor since you had more than one thing to worry about.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I understand small details quite well, I work with devices that are on the scale of nanometers and micrometers every single day, clean rooms that do not exceed 1000 particles per cubic foot, etc. However your argument is assuming that in all of the comparisons mentioned the differences are vast... something that I wager is not true.

If it weren't a total waste of my time I would really like to do a "pepsi challenge" with all of the details mentioned. I'll have bins of plastic pieces for people to fondle, tables of knobs and buttons for playing with, shifters and levers to be moved, etc. Everything will have a serial number and each person will get a spreadsheet and a pencil then they can rate which feels the best. I think it would prove that most things that people perceive to be "quaility" is purely in their imagination.

30 years ago this may have been a valid discussion when everything was analog/mechanical and when you pushed a button or turned a knob it actually moved something something behind the panel. With everything digital/electronic these days, buttons and knobs only have to make a microscopic switch contact and the signal is relayed or even better the buttons use capacitive sensing. With no need to focus on how well the button accuates all of the time and money can be spent on making sure the buttons and knobs feel good. Back then this was an expensive endeavor since you had more than one thing to worry about.
Well we could go into lengthy discussions about whether or not the perceived quality isn't as important as the actual quality. (If a placebo works, why change it)

But I think it'd just be easier for all parties to accept that we disagree. The only reason I've actually rebutted in ...10 posts or so at this point, is that I've only been stating my personal opinion all along, not claimed things as absolute facts.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:28 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
If a placebo works, why change it
That's the smartest thing you have said yet! You're right, and it is quite obvious BMW has taken advantage of that philosophy, along with most of the other luxury brands.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:31 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
...Yeah but some is ****ty cardboard that'll fall to pieces if you so much as think of water, where as some is high quality and durable.

....How is material quality, or even feel, a hard thing to understand?

If plastic is plastic, I guess car is car too, and we'll all save money by buying Tata Nanos or whatever they're called.
No matter how high the "quality" of plastic, it's still plastic! Understand now?

Old 08-26-2010, 02:55 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
I got a 2007 Z06 new for 61,000....and the M3's interior is quite honestly better. <shrug>

Old 08-26-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
That's the smartest thing you have said yet! You're right, and it is quite obvious BMW has taken advantage of that philosophy, along with most of the other luxury brands.
Well I disagree with that, but I don't think we'll get any closer to an understanding than we already have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
No matter how high the "quality" of plastic, it's still plastic! Understand now?
I understand, but I have nothing against plastic as a material, as long as the quality is high. Lots of great things are made in plastic. What else should they put in there, that dreadful wood that old people love so much? I want a car, not a dining room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI