Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 03:53 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,173,181 times

Advertisements

Most likely poor girl died in her sleep or if she ever woke up, she was too weak (due to heat exhaustion) to gain conscience.

Locking someone asleep in a car in a hot day it is the true criminal action....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 05:51 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,723,412 times
Isn't it amazing how it is always . . . SOMEONE ELSE'S FAULT?

Old 05-10-2014, 06:10 PM

4,626 posts, read 12,306,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
To some of the people who responded to the post, READ THE FREAKING ARTICLE!!!!!

If you bothered to use your brain and read the article, you would have read that if the car was locked from the outside, there was no way to unlock the car from the inside. Though this was clearly spelled out in the owners manual, this old BMW didn't have the owners manual so the teens didn't know about this anti theft feature.
Mr Disrespectful,
It is hard to believe in this day that we allow cars to be sold with this operation besides law enforcement. Not only this, but expect us to put full faith in the lawyer suing that this is in fact true. I question it based on my knowledge of building code where no key or special knowledge may be required for exiting. To me there would have been many more incidents in the country than this one since 1997? I mean if the driver accidentally locked the doors while driving and the car caught fire you couldn't escape? If it can be confirmed this is true then it may be taken more seriously. Also, if it is true, and she was a prisoner in the car BMW should go to jail.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:27 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,385,881 times
Seems like an example where German engineering led to German over-engineering.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:16 PM

13 posts, read 15,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Ive broken multiple car windows with my feet/legs AND my bare hands before..
What were you doing that necessitated breaking multiple car windows?

Old 05-10-2014, 09:10 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,502,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerwald View Post
What were you doing that necessitated breaking multiple car windows?
For safety. If you really feel the need to know try reading the thread where that was previously answered to avoid redundancy.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:53 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,949,552 times
Around these parts the adult is 100% responsible for their actions. If you leave a child or a pet in a parked car for 5 seconds, 5 minutes or 5 hours, you are given a non refusal invitation to a vacation in our penal system. Nobody has to die, just walk away from the car and if the police show up or someone calls the police, you get to wear chrome bracelets to your new home with no view but dandy cold steel bars you can cry on. This sorry excuse for a mother needs to go to jail for manslaughter of her own child. If you have no clue how your car works, you have no business driving it. As it says on all of our work trucks, "YOU are responsible for the safe operation of this vehicle". That's the law here.....but thank God this isn't Kalifornia.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
Sorry for the family;but I think perhaps those leaving her more to blame by not using common sense.As the article itself says this is very uncommon death for people that age.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:13 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,274,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Sorry for the family;but I think perhaps those leaving her more to blame by not using common sense.As the article itself says this is very uncommon death for people that age.
That's because practically every car can be unlocked from the inside, but not this one

Old 05-10-2014, 10:16 PM

17,638 posts, read 17,730,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Around these parts the adult is 100% responsible for their actions. If you leave a child or a pet in a parked car for 5 seconds, 5 minutes or 5 hours, you are given a non refusal invitation to a vacation in our penal system. Nobody has to die, just walk away from the car and if the police show up or someone calls the police, you get to wear chrome bracelets to your new home with no view but dandy cold steel bars you can cry on. This sorry excuse for a mother needs to go to jail for manslaughter of her own child. If you have no clue how your car works, you have no business driving it. As it says on all of our work trucks, "YOU are responsible for the safe operation of this vehicle". That's the law here.....but thank God this isn't Kalifornia.
Since you didn't bother to read the linked news story I'll paste below a copy of the article your post got so wrong. Next time read before responding.

<quote from linked article in OP>
According to the lawsuit filed this week in Madera County Superior Court, which seeks unspecified damages, Graciela Martinez was driven to school, on Sept. 11, 2013, in the family’s 1997 BMW 328i four-door sedan by her older brother, Oscar.

After arriving at the Madera High School in Madera, about 20 miles northwest of Fresno, and parking in the rear of the parking lot at about 6:40 a.m., Oscar and his twin sister, Patricia, exited the car, leaving Graciela inside so she could get some extra sleep before her first class at 7:40 a.m., it said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI