Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 04:18 PM

306 posts, read 1,247,818 times

Advertisements

What is worse in your opinion when it comes to Boise, ID weather:

Is it the WINTER cold and inversions OR the SUMMER heat?
Or are they both equally bad?

Which one do MOST people tend to complain / talk about the most?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 05:15 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyTD View Post
What is worse in your opinion when it comes to Boise, ID weather

Which one do MOST people tend to complain / talk about the most?
Too bad you weren't asking about SE Idaho. I could have answered that easy with "the wind"

Old 08-04-2007, 08:53 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
Bottom line, Boise's weather is usually not that bad, anytime of year. It is close enough to the Pacific Ocean that extreme cold is rare. Hot weather occurs during the summer for stretches, but usually lasts for just a few days.
Humidity is low, as the Arizona monsoon usually misses this area. But, don't get me wrong. It snows. It does get chilly. And it can get hot in the summer. But compared to most areas of the US, it is just about the perfect 4-season climate. Enjoy!

Old 08-04-2007, 09:23 PM

434 posts, read 3,177,952 times
I have found that other than the inversions in the winter and the extreme smoke during fire season, Boise's weather is very similar to Prescott Arizona. What someone told me when I first got here is that you get 4-5 weeks of really cold weather and 4-5 weeks of really hot weather and the rest of the year is great because you can enjoy 4 distinct seasons. Compared to the Midwest the winters are a breeze and the summers, though hot, are much better than Arizona and better than the hot humid summers in the Midwest and East Coast.

The only thing that has kind of thrown me off is spring in Boise. One day it is beautiful and in the upper 70's, the next day the high temp will be 40 and a week later it is in the 80's.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:44 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy View Post
The only thing that has kind of thrown me off is spring in Boise. One day it is beautiful and in the upper 70's, the next day the high temp will be 40 and a week later it is in the 80's.
Welcome to Idaho, if you're not happy with the weather simply wait five minutes

Old 08-06-2007, 03:20 PM

51 posts, read 225,829 times
Default Boise Summer or Winter Weather?

I guess it depends on what you can tolerate more, cold or heat. I hate the summer here. It is darn close to or over 100 degrees for at least one month straight - everyday. I guess last winter was mild and it didn't seem too bad at all.

If you enjoy really, really hot weather, then the summers in Boise are for you.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:11 PM

59 posts, read 92,624 times
Depends on the year. This year it's been terribly hot to me... to the point of not leaving the AC for three weeks straight! I dont tolerate heat well, so thats why I say that. It has been terrible this year, and I can recall a few others in the past as well. Winter is the same. Some years so cold you can't stand it and dont want to drive... some years no big deal and you're upset that the kids didnt get to make even one small snowman. Go figure. Add some inversion to each and you have the Treasure Valley.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:31 PM

9 posts, read 35,895 times
Idaho is the best as far as having all 4 seasons & something to do every season. I have lived here all my life & remember sometimes worse & sometimes better weather. But the most stable out of the other places in the NW & West that I have been.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:24 PM

110 posts, read 572,826 times
I think the winter is very long, but then again I am more of a summer person! Last year although winter was mild, it seemed so long to me! Like others said, it all depends on what you like the most - hot or cold!

Old 10-11-2007, 04:35 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
I like all the seasons, and if you look at the average winter lows and summer highs, they are almost pleasant. Either way, since the humidity stays fairly low, the temperature extremes aren't nearly as bad as they would be otherwise.

You get some summers (like this one) where it is scorching, but I remember several years last decade where it only broke 90 a couple of times the whole summer.

You get a trade off in the winter. If we have a stormy snowy winter, we tend to miss the worst of the inversions, so I much prefer that, even if it means having to navigate the crazy drivers who don't know how to drive in the snow. It can be chilly, but I seem to have a high tolerance for the cold, since I haven't broken out my winter coat in several years.

I would have to vote for the worst being the inversions. Not because of cold, but just because the air quality gets a bit ugly. On the upside, a short drive to Bogus Basin will get you above the clouds into beautiful blue sky.

Quote:
Welcome to Idaho, if you're not happy with the weather simply wait five minutes
Isn't that the unofficial state motto?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: