Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 04:02 PM

13 posts, read 30,267 times

Advertisements

.....to be fair, I must comment on the way Idaho people evaluate crime. There is not one area of Caldwell or Nampa that I would not walk in....even in the middle of the night. I would walk any area, any street.....at any time of night. Now, I originally come from St.Louis, MO and then lived in Reno, NV after that before moving here to Nampa. So, in my opinion, to say there is crime here is a little ridiculous.......compared to where I am from, lol. Do things sometimes happen? Yes. But compared to any metropolis of similar size you would be very hard pressed to find safer communities, including Nampa and Caldwell. However, that being said....I would not let my wife or daughter walk around just anywhere at any time of night (days - yes).......but I myself would and I think most men would.

I remember while working at a call center (HP) and someone talking about crime in Treasure Valley. The guy next to me was from Sacramento and he and I just looked at each other and shook our heads and we started laughing. I guess the point is that it is all relative to how one classifies what a "dangerous" area is. To me, Treasure Valley is safer than Mayberry RFD.

and just to clarify.....I live at Greenhurst and 12th, very close to the Walmart on the far south side of town......and the stench from the beet factory is practically overwhelming even that far south. If it is damp at all it seems to be magnified and the winter months are fairly damp. It is really a terrible odor. The air was better when I rented near Greenhurst and Happy Valley which is further east (about 3-5 miles) headed towards Meridian.

Kuna is southeast of Nampa and like benchfan stated.....probably more bang for the buck, no crime, more farm/agricultural with some subdivisions spread out here-n-there.

One thing I feel is for sure though. Regardless of what area of the Treasure Valley one would decide to live in....I cannot imagine anywhere having nicer and friendly people overall. I seriously doubt if there is a better place for people to raise a family at. And, here in Idaho is some of the most spectacular nature that anyone could possibly imagine. Bottom line.....not many people, safe and family friendly, lots of wide open space, beautiful nature with lots to do......and Nampa smells. That's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 05:10 PM

84 posts, read 265,954 times
Thank you all for sharing your opinions, that is why I like this forum.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:11 PM

15 posts, read 39,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontay View Post
Be sure you get a whif of the beet factory before living here.
Amen to that.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:47 PM

439 posts, read 958,145 times
Default Boise Recent Visitor..

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseville lover View Post
What do you think of this area? Nampa, ID (Maddens) found within zip codes: 83687, 83605
Hello...as a recent visitor to the Boise area I can state that I was not impressed with Nampa or Caldwell. Yes I was able to view a small nicely built sub division placed in a central location. The price of the home I visited was not cheap as one would think but the surrounding homes were nicely designed. The problem is the drive in and out of area...old, sorta run down and upon getting on the freeway the smell! This was not a windy day and I assume that smell of the beet factory spreads when the weather dictates. My agent whom is a poster on this site took me to many wonderful areas that were towards Boise, more appealing to our tastes. I found the back stretch to Star going into Eagle very charming. Do not remember if I made it to Kuna. I loved the downtown vibe...everyone I met there was warm and friendly...what a wonderful place...everyone is happy. Must be the water..

Old 12-16-2012, 04:33 PM

84 posts, read 265,954 times
I just found a website that compares crime statistics between two cities. I used to live in Roseville, CA and loved it. It was a wonderful place to raise kids and they had many activities to keep the kids busy. But anyway here are the statistics from Roseville, CA to Nampa, ID and shown below is the link to the website.

Crime Rates Nampa Alameda

Violent Crime 5 5
Property Crime 5 4

The crime indices range 1-10. A higher number corresponds with more crime. Our crime rates are based on FBI data.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: correcting spelling

Old 12-17-2012, 02:05 AM

13 posts, read 30,267 times
[quote=roseville lover;27369482]I just found a website that compares crime statistics between two cities. I used to live in Roseville, CA and loved it. It was a wonderful place to raise kids and they had many activities to keep the kids busy. But anyway here are the statistics from Roseville, CA to Nampa, ID and shown below is the link to the website.

Crime Rates Nampa Alameda

Violent Crime 5 5
Property Crime 5 4

The crime indices range 1-10. A higher number corresponds with more crime. Our crime rates are based on FBI data.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

I would have to SERIOUSLY disagree with this particular data chart. Nampa rated as a 5 on a 1-10 scale?? That is completely inaccurate. I also compared data using this scale (using the website you included, thanks.) and I entered in some of the more notoriously bad communities that I KNOW FOR A FACT are dangerous in/around the St.Louis, MO area and a couple of them came up as a lesser or equal to the rating given to Nampa. WHAT??? I'm talking bad areas that you would not walk around in during the daytime or anytime. Areas that I lived next to for 35 years and know them well. Watched them turn from good areas into bad areas.

My point is that as much as I bash some of the things in Nampa, the topic of crime in Nampa is not an issue to decide on whether to live in Nampa or not.

Maybe some other folks can do some comparisons using the chart that is supplied (click on the website and enter your own info). Some of the places I entered I would probably agree with however, to say Nampa is 4-5 on a 1-10 scale...........I completely disagree with.

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 04:31 AM..

Old 02-22-2013, 11:54 AM

89 posts, read 225,676 times
Since moving here to Nampa ,,the wife and I both think the beet Factory smells somewhat like "PEANUTBUTTER" we live South of the factory and hardly ever get a whiff of it where we live.. curious though if any others think the same as the wife and I..

We like Nampa and feel it has all to offer as for shopping for being retired.. we do not use old town for anything yet ,,as we are new here ,,but we plan on touring it this summer as it has some interesting places to see and visit ,,not at all worried about the crime ,,as it seems to be only in one area ,,..all cities have some bad areas don't they?

Old 07-12-2013, 03:21 PM

229 posts, read 565,207 times
Oregon Trail, now that you've been in Nampa a few months, how are you liking it? What sort of crime is typical there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area