Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 01:21 PM

10 posts, read 14,125 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning to move to the Boise area in the next few months. I've been looking (mostly on Craigslist) for 3+ bedroom houses. Are there any known rental agencies that allow large breed dogs? They're well behaved and come with references, but I'm finding people can't seem to get past *large dogs.* Am I limited to private landlords only? We would also be willing to do a rent to own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 02:17 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
As a landlord in Boise/Meridian, I can say that we would not rent any of our properties to someone with 4 dogs of any size or breed. Most of our houses are in subdivisions with CCRs and the CCRs almost always limit the number of household pets to either 2 or 3 (for renters or owners, either one). We would be in violation of many subdivision's HOA rules if we rented to someone with 4 dogs.

So you are going to be limited first to houses in older subdivisions with non-active HOAs, and secondly by landlords who are reluctant to allow pets in the first place, and 4 dogs specifically, and 4 large dogs even more specifically (I hope none of them are aggressive breed dogs, like rotties or dobermans). I honestly don't remember ever having an applicant with 4 dogs before. We've turned quite a few people away who had 3 though.

All I can say is good luck. It'll be a tough search. I don't know any property managers in town that would allow 4 large dogs. That doesn't mean they don't exist. I just don't personally know of any. But as I said, if you find one in a subdivision less than 20 or so years old, you'll want to look at the CCRs to make sure you aren't going to be asked to move as soon as the neighbors see you walking your dogs.

Edit* I just pulled my own subdivision to see what it said, and it says "No more than 2 domestic cats and no more than 2 domestic dogs shall be allowed to inhabit any one lot. Chronic dog barking shall be considered a nuisance." So my subdivision would actually allow 4 total animals if 2 were cats and 2 were dogs. Most of the ones I have seen say words to the effect of "No more than 2 domestic cats and/or dogs" meaning 2 total animals, be they cats or dogs. Finally, I have seen some that say something like "No more than 2 domestic cats or 2 domestic dogs for a total of no more than 3 total domestic animals"

Last edited by Lacerta; 12-27-2012 at 02:26 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 10:47 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,516 times
In my experience, you're better off trying to get a private landlord (from Craigslist or another place) to rent to you. That's what we had the best luck with. (We made sure to leave the rental unit way better than when we found it when we left as a way of encouraging him to rent to other animal owners.) Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: