Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 12:17 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,768,347 times

Advertisements

Howdy!

I am looking into a position at Boise State. If offered, we would be moving from a nice little neighborhood in Ashland, Oregon. A school and park are down the block, nice places to play with the dogs, and good hiking nearby.

We are slightly liberal, bookish, outdoorsy family of three. Don't have a lot of cash, and the U will not pay a huge amount, so looking for a nice, safe, affordable 4/2 cottage style home, neighborhood with walkable, tree-lined streets near the bike path for under $200k, if possible.

Any tips? Is this doable? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 03:21 AM

438 posts, read 1,797,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Howdy!

I am looking into a position at Boise State. If offered, we would be moving from a nice little neighborhood in Ashland, Oregon. A school and park are down the block, nice places to play with the dogs, and good hiking nearby.

We are slightly liberal, bookish, outdoorsy family of three. Don't have a lot of cash, and the U will not pay a huge amount, so looking for a nice, safe, affordable 4/2 cottage style home, neighborhood with walkable, tree-lined streets near the bike path for under $200k, if possible.

Any tips? Is this doable? Thanks
Totally! We were there about a month ago and drove all over looking at neighborhoods and housing. With all of the short sales and bank owned properties it's definately a buyers market. We didn't go much further west then 5-mile(north and south). There were some lovely neighborhoods, old and new. Lots of trees and most had sidewalks(although we found it strange that they put their mailboxes in the middle of them). Houses in 'The Bench' area were cute, maybe a little small. They get a little swankier and more expensive going into the foothills. You shouldn't have any problems finding something suitable around $200K, especially if you can have a little time to be able to work with a distressed property--many $70-85 a square foot, or less. Although I will say that it does seem that the majority of those are in the Meridian and Eagle areas. :~) D
Good Luck!

Old 12-08-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deena160 View Post
Totally! We were there about a month ago and drove all over looking at neighborhoods and housing. With all of the short sales and bank owned properties it's definately a buyers market. We didn't go much further west then 5-mile(north and south). There were some lovely neighborhoods, old and new. Lots of trees and most had sidewalks(although we found it strange that they put their mailboxes in the middle of them). Houses in 'The Bench' area were cute, maybe a little small. They get a little swankier and more expensive going into the foothills. You shouldn't have any problems finding something suitable around $200K, especially if you can have a little time to be able to work with a distressed property--many $70-85 a square foot, or less. Although I will say that it does seem that the majority of those are in the Meridian and Eagle areas. :~) D
Good Luck!
Great info. Thanks Deena! I think we prefer the feel of the older neighborhoods, but might consider a newer one at the right price,location,etc. What are the best parts of town for access to hiking and outdoor stuff?

Old 12-08-2009, 03:41 PM

438 posts, read 1,797,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Great info. Thanks Deena! I think we prefer the feel of the older neighborhoods, but might consider a newer one at the right price,location,etc. What are the best parts of town for access to hiking and outdoor stuff?
I like older homes, too, but we've renovated four of them in the last 20 years and a newer home is looking very tempting. Still, the older ones have that feel about them and quality of construction.
Hiking? Well, I haven't really looked into that(having a child in a wheelchair we tend to stick to the pavement), but the Boise National Forest is about an hour's drive east/northeast from Boise proper I think. I've heard there's good skiing to be had not far away, too. People on the forum have said good things about the outdoor activities available in Boise. There's also a lovely set of parks that runs through the city.
:~) D

Old 12-08-2009, 04:13 PM

38 posts, read 105,304 times
For access to the Greenbelt, think about southeast Boise and east Boise. This is where I would buy if I wasn't so broke because these areas will the first to recover when Boise's housing market turns around. The North End is nice, but it's quite a distance away from the Greenbelt and you get less for your money in that area. There are some nice parts of town near BSU (considered east Boise) and right off downtown, as well. If you do your homework, there are some steals to be had.

gcflyfish

Old 12-08-2009, 06:45 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,683,457 times
You're probably not going to find a 4/2 in the Northend or East Boise for under 200k.

You might find it in some pockets of SE Boise,especially directly south of the University.

There are a lot of 4/2's on the Bench and further west.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:55 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,365,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deena160 View Post
I like older homes, too, but we've renovated four of them in the last 20 years and a newer home is looking very tempting. Still, the older ones have that feel about them and quality of construction.
Hiking? Well, I haven't really looked into that(having a child in a wheelchair we tend to stick to the pavement), but the Boise National Forest is about an hour's drive east/northeast from Boise proper I think. I've heard there's good skiing to be had not far away, too. People on the forum have said good things about the outdoor activities available in Boise. There's also a lovely set of parks that runs through the city.
:~) D

Old historic homes are interesting. I own a 1930's Tudor in the Northend and love the home and the neighborhood.
The Boise National Forest is more like a 20 minute drive up Bogus Basin Road from the Northend or a half hour up Highway 21 from Boise city limits. You're correct about the outdoors because our outdoors, and the diverse things to do in the great outdoors in and near Boise are among some of the best in the states.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:57 PM

9 posts, read 34,048 times
The Northend is similar to Ashland, however I am partial to North East Boise. It's walking distance to downtown, near BSU, and the Greenbelt. There is a dog park, a couple of neighborhood markets and beautiful tree lined streets. And hey, you can count on your nieghbors to take in your rogue pet, if your loved pet just so happens to take the opportunity of an opened gate.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorts_ale View Post
The Northend is similar to Ashland, however I am partial to North East Boise. It's walking distance to downtown, near BSU, and the Greenbelt. There is a dog park, a couple of neighborhood markets and beautiful tree lined streets. And hey, you can count on your nieghbors to take in your rogue pet, if your loved pet just so happens to take the opportunity of an opened gate.
That is great news. We have a border collie who heads for the hills during thunderstorms. We always get a call a few hours later and go and pick him up. My heeler is crazy about chasing deer in the woods, but yawns through thunderstorms and stays on the back porch if he gets out...

I would love to live in a nice neighborhood, but not at Ashland prices! A couple years ago, the mean home price passed $500k, while mean wages were $40k! Insane!!! Now the mean is closer to $350, but still...We bought a 900sf home in 2003, hoping to eventually trade up, but up never came...And thank goodness for that! Just looking for a fair deal on a 3-4 Br 1500-2000sf home we would like to pay off. Not easy to come by here, and jobs are even scarcer.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:25 PM

66 posts, read 274,190 times
An area you might consider in Boise is Columbia Village and Oregon Trail Heights in south-east. Both are between Highway 21 and East Amity Road, no more than 10 minutes from BSU. There are several grocery stores and a number of restaurants etc nearby, it's close to the freeway for access to the rest of town, and you'd be on the eastern edge of the city with easy foothills access and access to the greenbelt pathway at nearby Barber Park. The home sizes are in the ballpark you're looking for, as are (I'm guesstimating) the prices in the current market. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: