Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 07:32 AM

276 posts, read 644,325 times

Advertisements

We're now three days removed from the snowstorm
and they haven't even plowed Fairview yet.
Or at least if they have, they did a very poor job of it.
Fairview is kind of a main thoroughfare, ya know?
Way to be on top of things, Boise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 08:43 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,683,050 times
Unique situation. They really didn't plow anything for this storm, and then everything iced over.

Usually they're pretty good about it.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:56 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAngleDoesn'tSuck View Post
In other words, snow removal in Boise is nothing like Kurt Angle, correct?

Old 11-16-2014, 12:09 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,365,147 times
The city of Boise is not in charge of plowing, that is taken care of ACHD, Ada County Highway District and I have seen their trucks around town the past few days.

The big issue is that the temperatures remained frigid after the snow fell which turned it into ice. If the temps were warmer the snow on the roads would be melting off already. A true Idahoan can handle it.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:52 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,939,339 times
Well I just got my answer about how well then maintain the roads during these storms. Not good!
You two are so funny going at one another!!

Old 11-16-2014, 04:09 PM

285 posts, read 541,211 times
Quote:
It isn't just Boise. Meridian also sucks. Not a sign of a truck plowing anywhere. The only road plowed pretty good has been Chinden and I suspect because that is done by ID DOT as HWY 20/26.

Even State Street was left as it fell.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:20 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,484,462 times
Quote:
Since I was born in Idaho, I'm as true an Idahoan as one can be.
As a 3rd generation Idahoan, I disagree with this assessment (Not really, just stirring the pot)

Really though, this is how it is in Boise. I didn't think Ada County even owned any plows, and I haven't seen any ACHD plows this week, every plow I've seen looked like a privately owned one.

Because the snow typically melts off fairly quickly here, ACHD focuses on sanding and salting and I have seen many ACHD trucks out sanding and salting.

The roads are terrible today, I agree, but it is very uncommon here, and maintaining plowing equipment for the rare occasion when this happens is not financially feasible.

This isn't a new phenomenon, either. I remember one day when I was in high school (around 20 years ago), driving to work one day and having to pull over because the washboard roads popped my hood release open on my car. The roads today are possible the worst I've seen since then.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:08 AM

285 posts, read 541,211 times
Anyone know the cities' requirements (if any) for businesses to plow their sidewalks? It seems in Meridian at least, no one, even the major shopping centers have plowed the adjacent sidewalks. And we are at least 4 days out from the last snow.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:12 AM

671 posts, read 890,977 times
Quote:
Pray for global warming.....it's a long shot.but ,,,,what the hay.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:01 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,484,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyee3 View Post
Anyone know the cities' requirements (if any) for businesses to plow their sidewalks? It seems in Meridian at least, no one, even the major shopping centers have plowed the adjacent sidewalks. And we are at least 4 days out from the last snow.
Boise city code:
Quote:
Section 9-08-07 REMOVING SNOW FROM SIDEWALKS
Every owner of any building or vacant lot, and every person having the charge of any church, jail or public building in this City shall during the time snow shall be on the ground by 9:00 A.M. every morning, when necessary, clear the sidewalks and gutters in front of his property from snow, and keep conveniently free therefrom during the day, so as to allow citizens to use the sidewalks in an easy, safe and commodious manner, and every person neglecting or refusing to comply with the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor. (1922 Code, Sec. 643; 1936 Code, Sec. 9-109; 1952 Code, Sec. 19-1309)

Copy/paste didn't work very well there, so we'll see how bad that gets messed up.

Anyway, that is the law in Boise for both homeowners and business owners. However, I've never heard of the city enforcing it.

I actually couldn't find Meridian city code, so not sure what, if anything, they have to say.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area