Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2015, 03:43 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,549,236 times

Advertisements

My husband has a final round interview with a company in Boise and they are flying us in to look at houses, etc.

We have 3 kids and a budget of anywhere from about $500k-$850k.

Can anyone tell me about the schools?

I have a current 5th grader who has been identified as "Gifted" by our current district and is grade accelerated in math (he takes 6th grade math--next year he'll take pre-algebra). He also is obsessed with both playing soccer and watching (barclay's premiere league).

I also have a 4th grader who is very high functioning but on the autism spectrum and has recently been identified as dyslexic. He receives SPIRE tutoring through our current school for the dyslexia along with other services.

I have a 2d grader who is happy go lucky and loves minecraft.

Any suggestions on what schools to focus our housing search on? Is there a lot of rezoning in Boise (our current district tends to rezone every couple years for growth as new schools are built).

Thanks for any feedback on neighborhoods, houses, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 07:52 AM

719 posts, read 1,568,162 times
Where will your husband be working? To me, a short commute is important so where I work has a lot to do with where I want to live. With your budget most parts of town will be within your wheelhouse, although what you get for the money may vary quite a bit.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaD View Post
Where will your husband be working? To me, a short commute is important so where I work has a lot to do with where I want to live. With your budget most parts of town will be within your wheelhouse, although what you get for the money may vary quite a bit.
It looks like he would be working on the northern side of Boise.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:37 AM

742 posts, read 1,129,705 times
North and Northeast Boise tends to have the best schools and nicest homes. A budget of $500k-$850k will buy pretty much anything you want anywhere you want; congrats on that.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:12 AM

719 posts, read 1,568,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
It looks like he would be working on the northern side of Boise.
Downtown or out toward Eagle?

If downtown, I'd personally look at some of the areas off of Parkcenter and Warm Springs, but the interior part not all the way out towards Harris Ranch. Maybe keep it west of Bown Crossing. Your budget won't get you into quite everything in those areas, but it'll get you into some very nice homes in a good location.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:27 PM

731 posts, read 958,994 times
I concur on the Park Center Blvd,/Warm Springs area...very nice homes, near gorgeous walking trails along the river.

My daughter and I stayed in that area during several of our visits, and fell in love. A bit pricier that we wanted, and we wanted more land, but it is quite lovely!

Old 12-10-2015, 05:42 PM

742 posts, read 1,129,705 times
Those are nice areas to be sure. A bit more quiet and secluded than the North End, and with newer and much nicer homes. You have a fair amount of condos and townhomes in the area, especially north of Parkcenter, and a bit more "modern" subdivisions, which is good or bad, depending on what you want.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:05 AM

Anyone know how the schools handle acceleration? One of the boys that was doing 6th grade math this year with my son moved out of state and the new school district refused to accelerate him even though he had already taken the 5th grade state math exam and got a 100 when he was in 4th grade.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:37 AM

524 posts, read 575,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Anyone know how the schools handle acceleration? One of the boys that was doing 6th grade math this year with my son moved out of state and the new school district refused to accelerate him even though he had already taken the 5th grade state math exam and got a 100 when he was in 4th grade.
We moved from out of state last year. DD is in Jr. High (East Jr) and they have several different levels of Math for each grade. For example, in 7th grade students can be in either Math 7, pre-algebre, algebra, or something even more advanced for accelerated math and science that travels to another school (I can't remember the name of that program).

Old 12-19-2015, 02:08 PM

820 posts, read 1,069,744 times
That price range gives you lots of options in the Boise area including building a very nice custom home if you have time. You will be able to select view properties looking down at the city lights, waterfront homes in Eagle, or even a small acreage.

As far as schools go, look into the local charter school options! My 3 boys went through school in the Meridian District (now called West Ada) and one of them with in the Gifted Program as well. In my humble opinion, public schools teach every kid the same way even though no two are alike. That is why I like Charter Schools. For example, check out the Galileo Stem (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math) based curriculum. I think you will like what you see.

As you look at homes in the area, sit down with an agent and review homes that sold in your price range if you don't see anything that is actively available. That will give you an idea what might be coming on the market, not just a glimpse of today's inventory. (this is good for people looking to relocate, but not great if you plan to look on your first trip and buy that same trip).

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: