Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2015, 06:02 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,407,373 times

Advertisements

Started making travel plans today for a March trip, I know now it is a real bad idea to contact rental agencies at the airport, but dang so far averaging $500 for a mid size for a week, that's more than the hotel rooms run. Plus I want to stop dealing with the "press 3 for English" firms I have encountered so far today, I want to move to Idaho to get AWAY from that. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 10:20 PM

122 posts, read 229,818 times
I'll PM you some thoughts.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:32 PM

818 posts, read 1,067,649 times
If you are a member of Costco, use their CostcoTravel website for rental cars. I use it almost exclusively since it compares all makes and models for up to three major companies at a time (Budget, Avis, National, Enterprise, etc.). Their rates start with about a 30% discount and if there any specials going on, they are applied automatically. I have ended up getting SUV's for cheaper than standard some time if they have excess vehicles in that category and I would have never asked for it assuming it would have been more.

I just checked for a weekly rental on the site for the week starting March 14th and they had a full size car via Enterprise for only $193.84 including taxes and fees. If you are not a member, you might be able to justify becoming one for this reason alone.

Hope that helps!

Old 12-23-2015, 12:07 PM

122 posts, read 229,818 times
That's much more in-line with what I would expect. Expedia shows 185/week for mid-size, 204 for "standard" (up a size). Costco is great too.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:57 PM

26 posts, read 27,351 times
Try Priceline. I use them for hotels and car rentals all the time and find you can get some great rates depending on the type of car you need.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:55 PM

818 posts, read 1,067,649 times
Evidently CostcoTravel prices fluctuate quite a bit. Today, I looked up the same as I did above on 12/19 and the price dropped to $172.15.

However, I booked a car today for a trip to Florida next month and yesterday the rate was $217 for a full size at Budget but today it was nearly $100 higher so I ended up booking it via CostcoTravel and got a small SUV at Alamo for only $182. I was shocked. The good thing I like about using Costco is their cancellation policy and the second driver drives free if everyone is over $25.

I do agree with gojurick about Priceline. That is how I booked my hotel for the trip. With them, sometimes it worth doing the Express Deals since you be sure you get free wifi, parking and breakfast etc. if they are important. I have bid for rooms on Priceline asking for 2.5 stars so I could get these ammenities when I have my family traveling and sometimes got "upgraded" and had to pay for each instead which ended up costing me more per night.

Best of luck!
Jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: