Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2017, 07:54 PM

117 posts, read 93,154 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a place like a local farmer, anywhere in downtown area, or nearby ( I live just outside downtown boise, but very close to it ), where I can get a small quantity of reasonable-priced grass feed beef, ..

.. and if I can't buy in small quantity, heck.. I'd just dump everything in my freezer currently and fill it up with beef.

I realize i could google, but I figured I'd see if anyone has direct good experience from anyone here.
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 07:56 PM

169 posts, read 198,747 times
PM I have the email of a family farm.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:07 PM

117 posts, read 93,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKatie3 View Post
PM I have the email of a family farm.
Thank you! I got your PM and may check with them on their shipping details, etc..

Old 12-14-2017, 07:49 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
Check out the Saturday Market downtown this weekend as there are local farmers selling their meat.

The Boise Co-op is a great resource too.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:56 AM

347 posts, read 402,422 times
lots of beef for sale on craigslist too

Old 12-15-2017, 11:44 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Cash and Carry sells three types of beef. They sell USDA choice certified black angus. They sell a standard beef that is probably what you are buying in most supermarkets, and they sell a certified all natural beef. The all natural is about the same price as the certified black angus, which is pretty reasonable.

I have not read the label on their all natural beef to see what is being guaranteed, but it might be worth stopping in and taking a look. It's primal cuts, so they are large chunks but nothing like trying to find freezer space for half a cow from a farmer.

All the meat I've bought from Cash And Carry has been good, with the exception that I don't like the ground beef in a tube, which is still probably better than the hamburger in a tube from the supermarket.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:56 AM

131 posts, read 144,102 times
facebook groups like treasure valley foodies have folks who provide grass fed beef I have bought from sweet valley beef out of sweet idaho and they make deliveries to boise

Old 12-17-2017, 06:46 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,139,849 times
The title of this thread caught my eye, having dabbled in raising grass fed beef for a while.
A couple points:

Grass fed (finished, ie- not fed grain in a feed lot before slaughter) can be shown in the lab to have certain chemical differences than "industrial" feed-lot type beef, but those differences are small and don't translate into actual health differences or benefits.

"Organic" beef is supposed to be raised without chemical growth promoters. But the promoters like antibiotics or beta-agonists are discontinued a few weeks before slaughter and cannot be found in the end product meat. The estrogen used as a growth hormone found in a 6oz serving of beef is only 1/16th the level of natural estrogen found in a serving of potatoes (!).

A study from Sweden 5 or 6 yrs ago (sorry, I lost the reference) showed that cattle taken off feed lots and fed only grass for just 2 weeks prior to slaughter produced meat with the same chemical profile as grass-only beef (!).

Feed lots didn't come into general use until the mid-60s. All beef was "grass fed" prior to that. Grass fed beef tastes a little different than feed lot beef-- less fat (which is what gives beef its flavor). You gotta get used to it; once used to it, store bought meat tastes funny to you.

For reference--One steer yields ~450 lb of freezer beef and can be fit into a full size upright freezer. Your freezer compartment in a typical full size refrigerator holds ~ 1/4 cow ~100lb (but nothing else).

Check at your local meat processor/meat locker. Tell them what you're looking for and they can probably find it for you or refer you to a farmer/rancher. He'll raise it and deliver it to the processor. Technically speaking, you'll be buying a live cow (or portion thereof) and then dealing with the processor about how to cut it up and package it. He'll lead you thru it. Remember there's a difference between a front and a hind qtr-- the front has the prime rib, the hind all the other good steaks & roasts..

You'll spoil yourself doing this. The stuff you buy at the Piggly-Wiggly is junk- usually the cull dairy cattle and & other runts. The restaurant trade gets all the good stuff.

Buon appetito!

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 12-17-2017 at 07:00 AM..

Old 12-17-2017, 07:09 AM

424 posts, read 580,796 times
We use Omaha Steak and usually get free shipping. Just make sure you have a freezer. If you prefer purchasing small amounts I highly recommend Choice Cuts on Franklin.
If you want real good meat I suggest buffalo, but be prepared to spend considerably more for the meat. When I want it I go to an outlet on Happy Valley road.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:32 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
Support and buy Idaho products

https://idahopreferred.com/

Grassfed Organic Beef - Wild Mountain Pastures and Exceptional Taste

Idaho Grass-fed beef

Eat Wild

There's much more out there via an internet search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area