Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 09:57 PM

349 posts, read 320,815 times

Advertisements

I visited a friend in Boise, and I loved the natural environment. Nothing in the New England area offers the same. My role just converted to permanent remote. I'm seriously considering relocating to Boise.

Community feel, ease of biking, access to nature, and an educated blue leaning area are priorities for me. It would be fantastic to avoid driving most days. Indoor parking for 1 car, at least 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2400 sqft or less. Thankfully, Boise seems far more spacious and affordable than Boston. My budget is $1.5 million, but of course happy if my wants can be met at a lower price point. Getting a great location is a priority if I need to compromise. Downtown Boise seems to fit my preference, but I've also heard about Meridian and Eagle.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2021, 10:24 AM

18 posts, read 17,463 times
North end is what come to my mind. Liberal, educated, bike-friendly, and foothill trails right out your door. The only issue would be finding off-street parking.

Eagle is more conservative, can't say much about Meridian. As a cyclist I can say, even though Boise boasts about being "bike-friendly", it's one of those cities where they think the only people that ride are lycra-clad racers. North end and the general downtown area are as friendly as you're going to get; the further you get from those areas, the more stressful it will be.

Old 09-26-2021, 10:48 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,323 times
In addition to the Northend, look into the Foothills neighborhoods, the historic Eastend which is anchored by Warm Springs Boulevard, the Central Rim, Depot Bench, and Harris Ranch which is easily connected to downtown via the greenbelt.

Almost all of Boise is blue and liberal and turns more purple as you head into Meridian and definitely more conservative towards Canyon County, Kuna, etc.

Your budget should allow you to buy near downtown and there are also several condo buildings in the downtown area if you are ok without a backyard.

The Northend is my neighborhood and it's beautiful, historic and is like an extension of downtown. Most homes have garages and parking in the alleys as well as on street parking.

Old 09-26-2021, 04:49 PM

Thanks, that really clarifies that I should focus on downtown or north end. And drop Meridian and Eagle.

How would you describe the advantages of downtown compared to north end? I should be able to get an indoor or underground garage, right? I definitely don't want to shovel my car in the winter. Done that for too long.

Old 09-27-2021, 12:41 PM

209 posts, read 316,534 times
In your price range you’re likely to be able to afford a home with a garage in the Northend and Eastend or sheltered parking downtown. Although most years the amount of snow we get doesn’t usually require much shoveling.

Old 09-27-2021, 12:46 PM

209 posts, read 316,534 times
Advantages of downtown is easy walkability to nearby restaurants and downtown activities. It really depends how big of a space you want and if you want a yard or not. Yards in downtown are rare and small. Yards in NE are generally small, but your budget would probably get you a larger lot. Most locations in the NE are two miles or less to downtown. Somewhat walkable and easily bikeable.

Old 09-27-2021, 06:28 PM

435 posts, read 453,682 times
Stay in Boston.

Old 09-29-2021, 04:36 PM

144 posts, read 158,761 times
Move to Boise!

Old 09-29-2021, 08:08 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,510,276 times
If you do move to Boise just hope and pray that Boise never turns into a Portland. Otherwise I say go for it since it would appear you can afford Boise.

Old 09-29-2021, 11:23 PM

Sorry I have only lived in San Francisco west of the Mississippi River. What happened to Portland that is undesirable?

I'm seeing some homes in the north end meeting my needs for about $800k. Are homes selling well above list? 10-20%?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area