Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2008, 07:20 AM

44 posts, read 156,242 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
My family and I are originally from the Meridian area, we moved to Poky about 4 1/2 years ago and from there we have lived in Nebraska for a little over 2 years. We are currently considering moving back home or to Texas. I would love to come home and be around old friends and family again, my concerns are this:
We left right at the start of the housing market jump. When I come home there are so many changes that have taken place (like new stores finally coming to the area etc.) All the changes seem to be great ones.
But... With the economy how it is right now, I am hearing rumors or Micron laying off more employees and how bad the economic crisis is in Idaho. In Nebraska we are mainly agriculture so we haven't necessarily felt the "crunch" quite yet, (besides of course our 401k!!) It scares me a little to come home, I am concerned about the economic status and am afraid that if we move, since we would have been the last hired, would we be the first fired type of thing. His job isn't in Technology but still dependent on people spending money
What would be your advice? I don't currently work outside the home and we depend entirely on my husband to provide so if he lost his job that would be devastating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 09:43 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,212,512 times
Personally I wouldn't come unless I had a job lined up. Typically, Idaho has consistently had one of the best economies in the nation until the recent economic downturn. I would wait until next year and re-evaluate the situation, it's only a few months away. It's not like it's going to stay like this forever.

If you do decide to come now, I think it's important to have the mindset that your husband might have to work in a different field should he get laid off. Gone are the days when you could work for the same company for your entire career. I think the more well rounded you are(meaning, being trained in other fields), the better chance you have to survive the misfortune of a job loss.

Maybe you can Google something that lists good jobs to have when the economy goes south....there might be something listed in a field that your husband can do. If you follow the Boise Job Market thread on this forum, we try and post potential jobs coming to this area. Boise is still growing and there will still be opportunities, but as stated before in several posts, it's very competitive.

That being said, I still have clients that are coming and they're getting jobs here. I just had one who picked up an accounting position for a new company last week.

So don't give up on your dream, just realize that it might take longer to get to the place you want to be and it might be more challenging than what you're typically use to.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:30 AM

I wouldn't move back unless we had a secure job, I am just afraid if the company moved us to Boise and then the market there continued to decline if he would be out of a job. I still keep in touch with friends in the area that try to keep me updated on the current status etc.
I used to live in Meridian, but like I said, it has been several years since I have lived there. I don't recognize any of the schools names from when we lived there. Where are the "better" elementary schools in Meridian/ Eagle?

Old 10-13-2008, 11:04 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,212,512 times
Meridian has just exploded as that's where a lot of the growth has been concentrated, hence all the new schools. I couldn't tell you which is better over another at this point, maybe someone else will chime in whose had their kids in the system over there....

Old 10-13-2008, 01:56 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meredithmyoung View Post
I wouldn't move back unless we had a secure job, I am just afraid if the company moved us to Boise and then the market there continued to decline if he would be out of a job. I still keep in touch with friends in the area that try to keep me updated on the current status etc.
I used to live in Meridian, but like I said, it has been several years since I have lived there. I don't recognize any of the schools names from when we lived there. Where are the "better" elementary schools in Meridian/ Eagle?
Honestly, in today's economy you could move anywhere WITH a job and it be cut once you got there. I don't know if it will be any better or worse in Boise. There are several companies looking to expand or move to Boise according to economic development groups. Obviously, if any of them announced this move even today you'd be looking at a year till they opened.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:06 PM

That is true. We just want to make the best decision possible. Our other option is looking at a job in Texas. We will see which one pans out better. I just keep thinking if he lost his job, where would I rather be??
Should I post a new thread about Meridian schools?
I grew up until high school in Nampa and then I finished high school in Boise and then settled down to have my family in Meridian. I moved from Nampa because of how long it took to see my family in Boise and because I was spending a lot of time going to Boise! I have been told that Nampa has improved ten fold since I was in junior high.
Are people still wanting out of Nampa or migrating towards it?
Thanks for all your help!
Meredith

Old 10-16-2008, 07:57 PM

130 posts, read 428,628 times
I hear a lot of people say don't come unless you have a job lined up.

Here's a fact: Even if you do have a job waiting for you, it doesn't guarantee you're going to get to keep it.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:13 PM

215 posts, read 789,290 times
try the website schoolmatters.com
they have comparisons of the schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: