Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 11:28 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,362 times

Advertisements

Had to chuckle when I read this article as it's so true. It's huckleberry season in Idaho and the crop has been terrific this year. If you move to Boise you will hear people talking about huckleberries, but you might not be lucky enough to find out where all the spots are to pick them- it's a guarded secret as their season is short and they're not always plentiful, but this year takes the cake as they seem to be everywhere! We were on a recent camping trip and just like the article states, we quickly changed our plans when we came across a patch of huckleberries as far as the eye could see.

Though I enjoy helping people on the forum, the one thing I won't give away is my huckleberry patch! No sir-ee, not gonna do it, my lips are sealed!

Zimo: It's huckleberry season and here's where to pick them | Idaho Outdoors | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/outdoors/story/473131.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 11:50 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,439,909 times
Thats awesome Torrie!! Im really looking forward to some Huckleberry lemonade, and preserves when we get moved up to NID. It looks like we have a good bunch growing right on the property!;-)

Old 08-20-2008, 12:09 PM

Nice! Lucky you! Better not tell anyone where you live, ha, ha!!

Old 08-20-2008, 03:05 PM

Torrie, I paid $6 a pound for some frozen Huckleberries up there once. I'll share the wealth, but wont give up my patch;-)

Old 08-20-2008, 10:37 PM

Wow! $6, that's a steal! I haven't seen the rates down hear this year, but have heard somewhere around $9. I remember one year, seeing them for a wopping $16 a pound

Old 08-21-2008, 12:54 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,947 times
Impressive if you found huckleberries in S. Idaho. I've heard they're out there, but never found a patch in that region myself.

As for CdA, they are plentiful in that area, and in a lot of the Clearwater range. Every summer I lived in Moscow, we'd go out picking and didn't have to go far... or search much at all, for that matter. Some friends who still live up there have mentioned that they're becoming scarce, though. Awesome to have them in your yard, Trace. Of all the reasons to fit a stereotype and sit on your porch with a loaded/cocked gun and a stern suspicion in your eye, that's probably one of the better ones I've heard.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
Impressive if you found huckleberries in S. Idaho. I've heard they're out there, but never found a patch in that region myself.

As for CdA, they are plentiful in that area, and in a lot of the Clearwater range. Every summer I lived in Moscow, we'd go out picking and didn't have to go far... or search much at all, for that matter. Some friends who still live up there have mentioned that they're becoming scarce, though. Awesome to have them in your yard, Trace. Of all the reasons to fit a stereotype and sit on your porch with a loaded/cocked gun and a stern suspicion in your eye, that's probably one of the better ones I've heard.

Ray, I think I would leave that up to my 150 Lb K9 unit to guard, but who knows! I may take up chewin tabacci, and sittin on the porch with Ole Bessy yellin "stay off my property" at anyone who comes along..HA!!If they gets in my patch, Im gunna give em both barrels too!! Nah seriously I would share with my neighbors anything over what we needed. All they would have to do is ask.

ZOWIE!! $16 a pound Torrie?? Heck I might need to start thinking about electrified fences, motion dectecting flood lights, machine gun nests etc
I thought I was gettin the "Calif. Tourist" rate or something @ $6 a lb..
I had no idea they were that expensive.
Its kinda of cool they havent been domesticated, and cant be farmed. I guess that adds a bit to the value, and mystique.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post

Nope haven't found any in S. Idaho, at least not yet. I go up in the mountains to get mine.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trace_rinaldi View Post
ray, i think i would leave that up to my 150 lb k9 unit to guard, but who knows! I may take up chewin tabacci, and sittin on the porch with ole bessy yellin "stay off my property" at anyone who comes along..ha!!if they gets in my patch, im gunna give em both barrels too!! nah seriously i would share with my neighbors anything over what we needed. All they would have to do is ask.

Zowie!! $16 a pound torrie?? Heck i might need to start thinking about electrified fences, motion dectecting flood lights, machine gun nests etc
i thought i was gettin the "calif. Tourist" rate or something @ $6 a lb..
I had no idea they were that expensive.
Its kinda of cool they havent been domesticated, and cant be farmed. I guess that adds a bit to the value, and mystique.
lol!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:35 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Rinaldi View Post
Nah seriously I would share with my neighbors anything over what we needed. All they would have to do is ask.
Now that I think about it, I suppose anyone in the CdA area who needs to steal huckleberries is pretty darn lazy or impulsive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Rinaldi View Post
When I was filling some elective credits at the U of I, I took an intro to horticulture class. The semester project was to select a plant to cultivate from the wild. The winner (whoever could actually cultivate the plant and argue why it belongs among the campus landscaping) would get to present their methods and appeal to the College of Ag Sci for actual implementation.

Well, guess what plant yours truly looked into, with initial zeal and immediate disappointment. I was sad, 'cause I would've planted those at a friends' house up near CdA whether or not the college liked my idea. That's going to be a VERY rewarding venture, both personally and economically, for whoever can succeed at cultivating that plant.

But I agree... so long as it doesn't start going extinct (the horror...), the mystique and novelty are pretty nifty.

COOL TRIVIA BONUS: The staff at that same Ag Sci college at U of I have been looking into it for quite some time, along with several experts in Montana. Just google "huckleberry" and "Dan Barney" to learn about a hopeful on the forefront of that venture. Since I was an intro student majoring outside the college, I never got to interview him, but it'd be pretty cool to be able to peruse his notes and have enough qualification/knowledge to elaborate on or alter some of his experiments.

Of course, in the event huckleberry bushes are "tamed", Paul McCartney's strawberry fields fantasy will be forever trumped. Really, it already is in the mind of anyone who's stood munching in a huckleberry patch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area