Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2008, 01:18 PM

10 posts, read 21,138 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to relocate to Boise around June. She's a registered nurse and I'm a school counselor and we both feel that Vegas is NOT the place to raise our baby son. We have relatives up there and absolutely loved the area when we visited. Clean, small, easy to navigate, and above all safe and family friendly. I'm curious about job opportunities for nurses and school counselors or teachers. The economy being what it is, we realize that jobs may not be as plentiful as, say, a year ago; but we really want to leave Vegas. Any information you can share would be helpful, especially regarding nursing. My wife's been to the website of both St. Al's and St. Lukes, but hasn't been able to find info about job availability and whatnot. She's worked on an Intermediate Care floor for two and half years now.
We would appreciate any info you can send our way. Also, if you have opinions/facts about schools or school districts, I would be beyond grateful. Based on all our research (and our visit to your wonderful city) I think we're going to be very happy up there.
Thanking you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 02:20 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,213,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhbyevegas View Post
My wife and I are planning to relocate to Boise around June. She's a registered nurse and I'm a school counselor and we both feel that Vegas is NOT the place to raise our baby son. We have relatives up there and absolutely loved the area when we visited. Clean, small, easy to navigate, and above all safe and family friendly. I'm curious about job opportunities for nurses and school counselors or teachers. The economy being what it is, we realize that jobs may not be as plentiful as, say, a year ago; but we really want to leave Vegas. Any information you can share would be helpful, especially regarding nursing. My wife's been to the website of both St. Al's and St. Lukes, but hasn't been able to find info about job availability and whatnot. She's worked on an Intermediate Care floor for two and half years now.
We would appreciate any info you can send our way. Also, if you have opinions/facts about schools or school districts, I would be beyond grateful. Based on all our research (and our visit to your wonderful city) I think we're going to be very happy up there.
Thanking you in advance.

I might be able to help you out with the education field. I have some job leads coming up here shortly that I'll share with you. I also have several friends in the medical industry that could offer insight. She should have no problem finding a job in the nursing field. My neighbors sister got an offer from all 6 places she applied to. I'll send you a dm with more info.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:48 PM

Thanks, Torrie. You're a wealth of information on Boise and your help is much appreciated!

Old 11-14-2008, 10:51 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,976 times
You'll be a shoe-in. My main problem when I had to leave Boise was the fact that I was in IT and not Healthcare. I even looked into getting some training for that reason and realized it'd be cheaper to move and get a guaranteed job. If you've got someone who's already in the health profession with one certification or another (an RN will certainly do), then Boise Metro will work for you, bar none. There are two Regional Medical Centers and beyond that the myriad of private practices they breed (which pay even better if you've got the resume, as your wife knows). Man, with what I've seen, I wouldn't do nursing, but that is a mighty flexible job for those who are willing!

And yeah... my parents just moved to Vegas. Found plenty of fun around there (and gr-r-r-r-reat housing prices)... but one doesn't have to wonder for long... too much great fun, if you will. Idaho is a great place to escape the daunting madness. Really... movies lie when they glamorize Vegas... ugh.

And yeah... if Idaho isn't looking for full-time teachers, it's looking to offer ambitious subsitutes a full-time schedule if you stay ambitious.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:26 PM

Thanks, Stingraynm. The beauty of what my wife and I do is there is always a need for both teachers and nurses no matter where you go, it seems. But with the economy doing what it is, you hear horror stories, you know? Even in schools and hospitals. But we're gonna keep plugging away. Thanks for the response. Positivity such as yours is a real morale boost!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area