Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 02:22 AM

9 posts, read 43,366 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for info on the maternity departments at St Al's and St Luke's. I've heard good things about St Al's in regards to awards and such but I don't know anyone who has delivered there. Also, the pictures of the labor & delivery and recovery rooms look nicer at Al's. But, I know a lot of people have had good experiences at St Luke's too. So I'm looking for comparisons in C-section rates, anesthesia rates, pitocin usage (don't want to be forced if it's not required), average length of stay for new moms and babies, any personal experiences, etc. I will be paying cash so insurance is not a factor. St Al's seems to have fewer associated doctors than St Luke's. Is there a reason for that? I'm looking for comfort, patience (don't expect the labor to be over fast and rush me), willingness to follow my birthing plan, and allowing plenty of time with the baby. If you have any suggestions on doctors you think fit that, feel free to share those too. I really appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 10:05 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times
If money is a factor, my understanding is that St. Al's is a bit less expensive. I have heard this from a couple of people who were pricing out the delivery and comparing it to their insurance deductible.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:12 AM
CSG

201 posts, read 383,128 times
St. Lukes is a corporate machine. St. Al's is a charitable hospital that won't come after your home should you have trouble settling your bill. St. Lukes has pretty much ruined healthcare in Twin Falls IMO. Biggest mistake we ever made getting in bed with those people.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:17 PM

51 posts, read 299,204 times
St. Al's Maternity Unit is newer than St. Lukes. Lukes has been delivering longer. Basically, our family goes to St. Al's for trauma stuff (stitches, etc.) and Lukes for everything else. On reputation alone, Lukes.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:34 PM

I appreciate the responses. Money isn't really an issue (not something I ever expected to say). Stacie, have you been to either of these maternity wards? Why do you choose St Al's for trauma stuff? Newer technology? Closer to your home? Do you have any idea why the reputation is better? Safer? Nicer staff? Thanks everyone!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:07 PM

51 posts, read 299,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlywed28 View Post
I appreciate the responses. Money isn't really an issue (not something I ever expected to say). Stacie, have you been to either of these maternity wards? Why do you choose St Al's for trauma stuff? Newer technology? Closer to your home? Do you have any idea why the reputation is better? Safer? Nicer staff? Thanks everyone!
I had 2 of my 3 kids at St. Lukes, and would choose them for future births. They are farther away from my house, but they have the best rep in town for maternity and illness care. I am a native Idahoan and don't know anyone who has had their baby at St. Als. I do work in a health-care related field, and overwhelmingly see people choose Lukes for all of their non-trauma care.

St. Als has the best trauma surgeons/staff in the valley. The police direct most of the traumas in the area there. It is "the" trauma hospital in the valley.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:17 PM

Ok, thanks so much! That provides a lot of clarity.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:40 PM

43 posts, read 107,457 times
St Al's is the only Level 2 trauma center in Idaho, Eastern Oregon & Northern Nevada. Most states have three levels and a few have four with level one being the highest. If I am injured enough to need trauma care I am going to St Al's.

Now...having said that. If I am a woman having a baby I am going to St Luke's. They have the best Neonatal intensive care unit around! Not that things will go wrong...Just in case.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:50 AM

85 posts, read 294,487 times
If you were an older person, would either be a better "senior friendly" hospital....with better "bedside manner" so to speak???

Old 01-06-2010, 08:48 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG View Post
St. Lukes is a corporate machine. St. Al's is a charitable hospital that won't come after your home should you have trouble settling your bill. St. Lukes has pretty much ruined healthcare in Twin Falls IMO. Biggest mistake we ever made getting in bed with those people.
ummmmmm St Lukes is a not for profit hospital!

They will all come after you if you dont make arrangements unless it is a county hospital. St Lukes is better in many ways than St Als but St Als has the trauma
St Lukes use to have the only new-natal unit dont know if that has changed or not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: