Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2011, 01:14 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times

Advertisements

I've been alternating reading Kill Bin Laden with One Second After and after labouring through 276 pages of the latter, I give up. I won't finish it. I absolutely hate the book. I don't buy any of the characters or their actions. The quality of the writing makes me want to tear my hair out.

So back to the former book, which I would be farther along on, if I had stopped 100 pages ago when it should have been clear to me that One Second After was not for me.

Ketabcha, it is a few pages back I think, where you commented on my post on black helicopters. I didn't know that the Soviets had their black helicopters referred to as Black Tulips. We have a Russian immigrant friend who took part in that invasion, actually.

But what I meant, which might not have been clear, is that "black helicopters" are often referred to by civilian conspiracy theorists. And the Delta Force, which isn't officially acknowledged by the US government, by virtue of their 'secret' existence, would sort of be at the top of the list of potential suspects for 'black helicopters.' (I would think, anyway) Black Helicopters - Crystalinks

What got me interested in a book by a Delta Force operative was this story of some years ago, when Delta Force supposedly took over a Texas town. Fear and loathing in Kingsville, Texas

And then to read that the premier black helicopter suspects themselves have paranoiac (?) ideas about black helicopters just about had me spitting my coffee across the book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 02:35 AM

13 posts, read 25,115 times
Now reading Achilles in Vietnam: Combat Trauma and the Undoing of Character, by Jonathon Shay. Trying to get a glimpse into what veterans have gone through.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:39 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,458,289 times
Im reading "Darius Jones" by Mary B. Morrison

Old 01-28-2011, 07:03 AM

29,447 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
still plugging away at "Atlas Shrugged". Have been reading other books in between this one. In the paperback I have it is over 1000pages with the tiniest print! glad to report only 200 pages to go! It is really a good book and some parts really do apply to society today.
Excellent book, have read it several times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I've been alternating reading Kill Bin Laden with One Second After and after labouring through 276 pages of the latter, I give up. I won't finish it. I absolutely hate the book. I don't buy any of the characters or their actions. The quality of the writing makes me want to tear my hair out.

So back to the former book, which I would be farther along on, if I had stopped 100 pages ago when it should have been clear to me that One Second After was not for me.

Sorry to hear you didn't like "one second after" , I read it last month and thought it was a great book , maybe not the best writing but totally believe the premise and believe the book should be an eye opener to all of us.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:47 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,203,678 times
Just finished Book I of "Lebensraum!" by Ingrid Rimland.

Interesting historical account of Mennonites in Russia (Ukraine). Books are basically a history of Ukrainian Mennonites focused on their early history as immigrants from Germany, their lives in the Ukraine and the lives of some who immigrated to Kansas in the 19th century, their persecution after the Bolshevik Revolution placed the Communists in power and how they survived the ethnic cleansing imposed by Stalin. These books have been banned in Canada and Germany because they are considered "anti-Semitic" and "pro-Hitler".

Old 01-28-2011, 07:57 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,118,398 times
Reading "The Working Poor" By David Shipler. It gives me great insight to why those who work in minimum wage jobs sometimes fall into the circumstances that they do.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:44 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pyat View Post
Now reading Achilles in Vietnam: Combat Trauma and the Undoing of Character, by Jonathon Shay. Trying to get a glimpse into what veterans have gone through.
Thank you so much for sharing this! I will be adding this to my list. My father is a Vietnam vet (US Navy). He suffers from moderate emotional trauma because of it. My cousin who was in the Marines suffers from severe emotional and mental trauma. The human impact of war is immeasurable. It's so important that we understand this as soldiers return from the latest wars. Books like this help. Thanks again.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:07 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

Ketabcha, it is a few pages back I think, where you commented on my post on black helicopters. I didn't know that the Soviets had their black helicopters referred to as Black Tulips. We have a Russian immigrant friend who took part in that invasion, actually.

But what I meant, which might not have been clear, is that "black helicopters" are often referred to by civilian conspiracy theorists. And the Delta Force, which isn't officially acknowledged by the US government, by virtue of their 'secret' existence, would sort of be at the top of the list of potential suspects for 'black helicopters.' (I would think, anyway) Black Helicopters - Crystalinks

What got me interested in a book by a Delta Force operative was this story of some years ago, when Delta Force supposedly took over a Texas town. Fear and loathing in Kingsville, Texas

And then to read that the premier black helicopter suspects themselves have paranoiac (?) ideas about black helicopters just about had me spitting my coffee across the book.
Have you read "The Black Tulip" by Milt Bearden? Bearden knows his stuff because he helped plan the US arming of Afghans against the Soviets.

I have several Afghan friends who were barely high school age when the Soviets invaded. One of them was playing soccer in a school yard when the Soviets came rumbling in. He remembers one black helicopter hovering over the players and the kids threw rocks at it. It still freaks him out when he sees a black helicopter, a black tulip. A few months later the Soviet black tulips were used to take the bodies of the Soviets back to the USSR.

I did not know that about Kingsville, TX. That is the home of the King Ranch. Thanks for mentioning it. I'll do some reading....it's a "fer piece" down the road from me but I've been there several times on the road to Mexico.

"Fear and Loathing in Kingsville, TX", I wonder if Hunter S. Thompson was involved.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:17 AM

28 posts, read 28,391 times
Default Re-reading

I just finished re-reading Parrot In The Oven, by Victor Martinez. He lives here in SF, and I met him a couple of years ago.

Now I am re-reading Woven Stone, by Simon J. Ortiz, a collection of his poetry, and a couple of essays. I love Ortiz.

Book before that, was a re-read of Macbeth. Prob fourth time I read this drama. Get in the mood for Shakespeare now and then.

Before that I read Richard Brautigan's An Unfortunate Woman, published posthumously. Some day in future, I will re-read this also.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:58 AM

414 posts, read 1,009,657 times
I finished The Help two weeks ago, then read Safe Haven and just finished Water for Elephants today. All three were great! I like a variety in my reading and I feel like they were all so different, and so quick to read! Now, I have to search for something new!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books