Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2019, 10:53 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Finished the book yesterday, too and also liked it a lot.

Started Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods and will also start The Laughing Corpse by Laurell K. Hamilton this weekend.
Bill Bryson has the magic ability to write about things I care absolutely nothing about, and make me absolutely fascinated.

He could write a book about nails and I would read it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 10:31 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,782,572 times
picked up Vani Hari's new book "Feeding you lies: How to Unravel the food industry playbook and how to reclaim your health." Looking forward to reading this.

Last edited by Wintergirl80; 03-07-2019 at 10:40 PM..

Old 03-08-2019, 04:21 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,139,402 times
Brain Food: The Surprising Science of Eating for Cognitive Power, Lisa Mosconi (2018).

Old 03-08-2019, 08:45 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
My new audiobook is How to be A Tudor: A Dawn to Dusk Guide to Tudor Life, by Ruth Goodman, and it is fascinating.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-08-2019, 08:49 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My new audiobook is How to be A Tudor: A Dawn to Dusk Guide to Tudor Life, by Ruth Goodman, and it is fascinating.

Noted...

Old 03-08-2019, 06:52 PM

443 posts, read 437,458 times
Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan

Old 03-10-2019, 01:13 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Well I thought I had posted before, but since I last posted, I finished Less . It was ok.
Next I have been working on Gentleman in Moscow and while I definitely can appreciate the writing (it's outstanding), I could have done with a bit shorter. I really enjoyed parts of it, and parts of it I had to push along. So again, I think it's a worthwhile read but I am not in the super fan camp.
I am going to try Whiskey in a Teacup and hope it's a nice light easy read. (not sure what will be after that).

Old 03-10-2019, 04:07 PM

829 posts, read 411,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Well I thought I had posted before, but since I last posted, I finished Less . It was ok.
Next I have been working on Gentleman in Moscow and while I definitely can appreciate the writing (it's outstanding), I could have done with a bit shorter. I really enjoyed parts of it, and parts of it I had to push along. So again, I think it's a worthwhile read but I am not in the super fan camp.
I am going to try Whiskey in a Teacup and hope it's a nice light easy read. (not sure what will be after that).
Had to look up "Whiskey in a Teacup" I didn't know it was about Reese Witherspoon...but coincidentally, I saw that the REELZ Channel was airing her biography tonight at 9 PM entitled "Reese Witherspoon: The Price of Fame"

Just a head's up if anyone is interested...(I AM!)

Old 03-11-2019, 12:38 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Bill Bryson has the magic ability to write about things I care absolutely nothing about, and make me absolutely fascinated.

He could write a book about nails and I would read it.

Yes, he has a very fascinating style to weave in interesting details. I'm about halfway through and enjoy it very much. More often than not it's hilarious and I laugh out loud. I think I couldn't have his companion Katz around me all these days!

It's been nearly two months since I last bought used books. So I just made a trip to the online bookstore and ordered a few more

All Things Bright and Beautiful (James Herriot) - I really really loved the first book!

Ross Poldark (Winston Graham) - I just need to know what the hype is all about.
The Royal Physician's Visit (Per Olov Enquist) - Never read about the Danish Royalty before...
Heart-Shaped Box (Joe Hill) - Loved the Fireman
Slade House (David Mitchell) - Just found it on goodreads and it sounds very interesting.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:18 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Finished THE LADDER TO THE SKY.

Without giving anything away....what a diabolical character! Very interesting novel...
Thanks to Dawn...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books