Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 02:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,463 times

Advertisements

I have congenital anosmia, which means I was born without a sense of smell. Many people I meet are very curious about what it's like to live without use of all of my five senses, and I wished they would just understand that anosmia is a real disability and can really put a roadblock in people's lives!
So, since I LOVE writing, I thought to myself, "hmm. why not write a book about myself, and how my disability has made an impact on my life, and what it's like to live this way?"
So I wrote the story, and I'm just wondering if that kind of thing sounds interesting to you. Be brutally honest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 02:57 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSun1 View Post
I have congenital anosmia, which means I was born without a sense of smell. Many people I meet are very curious about what it's like to live without use of all of my five senses, and I wished they would just understand that anosmia is a real disability and can really put a roadblock in people's lives!
So, since I LOVE writing, I thought to myself, "hmm. why not write a book about myself, and how my disability has made an impact on my life, and what it's like to live this way?"
So I wrote the story, and I'm just wondering if that kind of thing sounds interesting to you. Be brutally honest

Old 08-24-2011, 03:47 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,766 times
I agree

Old 08-24-2011, 05:05 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Yes, it would be very interesting.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:11 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,766 times
I'm interested because my BIL had surgery for a ???? tumor that then resulted in him losing sense of smell and taste.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:15 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
If it is a well written story I might read it. I can see how losing taste and smell could affect daily life. I enjoy good food so loss of taste would be big to me but a benefit might be losing a few pounds. Not being able to smell certain things would lessen enjoyment. I can see how loss of smell could be dangerous also. I don't think I have ever read astory with that as the main theme. Go for it.

GL2

Old 08-24-2011, 10:04 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
I would read an article about it, but not an entire book.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:48 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
Yes, I would read it. I know someone who couldn't taste anything, and it was unbelievable! Of course she didn't care at all about eating, and would have to make herself eat. I cant imagine not being able to taste chocolate! On second thought, that would probably be a good thing for me.

I have thought many times that I wish my sense of smell wasn't so strong because smells make me ill. From perfumes (headaches too) to restaurants. I've walked into restaurants where I was gagging and had to leave immediately, and I am just dumfounded that all the people in there aren't smelling what I'm smelling, apparantley. Neither do the people I am there with. So, I would be really interested in your book where you have never had a sense of smell.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:37 PM

169 posts, read 526,456 times
I like well written memoir.

I started reading Season to Taste: How I lost by Sense of Smell and Found My Way by Molly Birnbaum. She was going to go to culinary school, and then lost her sense of smell/taste after a a car accident. I haven't finished yet so can't tell you if it's any good. But maybe it's something you should check it out too?

Old 08-25-2011, 06:40 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Thumbs up Follow That Dream!

Absolutely!

Let us know when and where we can get a (signed?) copy!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books