Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 12:08 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,123,803 times

Advertisements

Good Day All.

I turned 40 in October, so to celebrate being officially middle aged, I bought a copy of the story literature's greatest mid-life crisis: Don Quixote.

Despite that fact that Cervantes explicitly writes the novel to be a satirical/comical send-up of the absurd knightly romances written in his era, in the modern era, Quixote has become something of a romantic figure in and of himself, re-interpreted as The Man of LA Mancha, and somehow admirable in his delusions. The very word "Quixotic" does not mean someone acting foolishly or delusionally, but with an admirable and pleasant joie de vivre.

Alternatively, Quixote is sometimes interpreted as a tragic figure.

Over the past two days I got through the first 110 pages, and am a bit perplexed. My gripe is that whereas I have had a few good laughs, Quixote seems to me to be for a most part a dangerous bully who goes around trying to harm and even kill people who don't deserve it. So apart from the comical/satirical, admirable and tragic interpretations, I see a fourth interpretation which is rarely discussed- Quixote's behavior is downright ugly at times.

Did anyone else see the novel this way? Make no mistake about it, I am picking up of the comedy, but I see very little that is admirable in this man's behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 05:47 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,522,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Good Day All.

I turned 40 in October, so to celebrate being officially middle aged, I bought a copy of the story literature's greatest mid-life crisis: Don Quixote.

Despite that fact that Cervantes explicitly writes the novel to be a satirical/comical send-up of the absurd knightly romances written in his era, in the modern era, Quixote has become something of a romantic figure in and of himself, re-interpreted as The Man of LA Mancha, and somehow admirable in his delusions. The very word "Quixotic" does not mean someone acting foolishly or delusionally, but with an admirable and pleasant joie de vivre.

Alternatively, Quixote is sometimes interpreted as a tragic figure.

Over the past two days I got through the first 110 pages, and am a bit perplexed. My gripe is that whereas I have had a few good laughs, Quixote seems to me to be for a most part a dangerous bully who goes around trying to harm and even kill people who don't deserve it. So apart from the comical/satirical, admirable and tragic interpretations, I see a fourth interpretation which is rarely discussed- Quixote's behavior is downright ugly at times.

Did anyone else see the novel this way? Make no mistake about it, I am picking up of the comedy, but I see very little that is admirable in this man's behavior.
I think most critics treat Don Quixote as at least partly tragic and at least partly comic. I think that using the term quixotic as "admirable and pleasant joie de vivre" is simply a misuse.

I certainly think that Quixote's adventures regularly result in various harms for him, his companions, and others. I'm not so sure, though, that the reader is meant to look upon Quixote as an example for behavior. I tend to think that the characters of Quixote and Panza are used to invite the reader to look at chivalry, idealism, practicality, madness, companionship, romance, perspective, and storytelling.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:27 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
According to a lecture I listened to (by English Literature Professor Elliot Engel, whom I highly recommend*) the significance of Don Quixote is that it was the first western 'novel' (1605). Nothing like it had been seen before, so it was considered 'novel' (adjective) by the public, hence the name.

It was also pointed out that Cervantes set the 'tone' for all future novels, which usually represent a 'journey' by the main character towards some type of self-discovery or personal growth. A 'novel' was also considered such if it were at least a certain length (shorter novels came to be known as 'novellas').

* if any are interested in his lectures, here is Professor Engel's website:
Literature, humor, and enlightening entertainment - Authors Ink Store
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books