Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 08:39 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,993,889 times

Advertisements

Do any of you read the "Joe Pickett" series authored by C.J. Box? I just LOVE these books, and wonder if anybody else feels the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 07:04 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
I love C.J. Box! Joe Pickett is awesome. BLUE HEAVEN was really good, too. I haven't read the new one yet.

If you like his stuff, check out William Kent Krueger. Start with IRON LAKE. Good stuff!

Old 02-03-2009, 10:57 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,993,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I love C.J. Box! Joe Pickett is awesome. BLUE HEAVEN was really good, too. I haven't read the new one yet.

If you like his stuff, check out William Kent Krueger. Start with IRON LAKE. Good stuff!
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely check it out!

Old 02-06-2009, 03:17 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
I though his first few were pretty good to ok. I've read them all I think up to this last one. I read them not because they were great per se but just for the setting. I

His last one - was awful. Sloppy stupid, contrived and over the top with the ax to grind. I rarely don't finish a book but this I put down a little over 1/3 of the way through.

If you like outdoors, nature, cop series try

Joseph Heywood's Woods Cop mysteries - really really good.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:22 PM

All the Pickett books tend to center around an issue of some sorts --- hunting, endangered species, animals rightgs, etc. But Box is really good at presenting a balanced view. He never has one side be a complete villain in a black hat. Reading between the lines, I think it's usually pretty clear where Box's own views lie, but he gives the opposing view its due respect.

New Pickett book some time this summer, I hear. I think it's called BELOW ZERO if I remember right.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:35 AM

Mark - I might have agree with some reserverations on the balanced view thing till this last one. Not only was it bad, he seems to have lost his balance - male menopause?

Old 02-10-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Mark - I might have agree with some reserverations on the balanced view thing till this last one. Not only was it bad, he seems to have lost his balance - male menopause?
I only read it once, and that was months and months ago. Which one was it? Was it the one where the killer was hunting hunters?

What was it you found so imbalanced? Refresh my memory.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:21 PM

Yes it was the last one. I think he lost me with the older super leftist environmental guy that went into his daughters class - that speech was so over the top gross creepy scary in your face aggressive - I can't imagine anyone, no matter how left - going into a school and doing that. People are way protective of kids and even if someone really felt like saying it, no one would say it. Not and remain the head of anything but a tiny wacko group totally on the fringe and this guy's group was known nationally.
And there's no teacher in the world who's going to allow it. Especially not in Wyoming. Sounded like a fantasy to me.

Then there was the super uber tracker hunter brought in to track the killer hunter who didn't realize he was tracking two somewhat normal guys (the guardsman) and then this super world reknown uber tracker who has been in all sorts of amazing life threatening situations all over the world and must have some sort of common sense does this totally out of character stuuupid beyond belief jump out hollering shooting thing and gets himself killed. Now I realize the guys were soldiers in Iraq but my impression of the uber tracker is that he should have picked up on two solider types no problem. Tracking 1 guy vs. 2? and then getting himself shot? Really unbelievable. Just lazy or sloppy to move the story along some plot line.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Yes it was the last one. I think he lost me with the older super leftist environmental guy that went into his daughters class - that speech was so over the top gross creepy scary in your face aggressive - I can't imagine anyone, no matter how left - going into a school and doing that. People are way protective of kids and even if someone really felt like saying it, no one would say it. Not and remain the head of anything but a tiny wacko group totally on the fringe and this guy's group was known nationally.
And there's no teacher in the world who's going to allow it. Especially not in Wyoming. Sounded like a fantasy to me.
I dunno. I remember having some pretty wacko speakers back when I was in school. In fact, I had one teacher who was pretty far out, and I went to school in a VERY conservative (even a little redneck) part of the country.

But as I remember the book, even the lefty teacher who brought the wacko in to speak was very scandalized by his behavior and rushed him out of the class once he got going.

Quote:
Then there was the super uber tracker hunter brought in to track the killer hunter who didn't realize he was tracking two somewhat normal guys (the guardsman) and then this super world reknown uber tracker who has been in all sorts of amazing life threatening situations all over the world and must have some sort of common sense does this totally out of character stuuupid beyond belief jump out hollering shooting thing and gets himself killed. Now I realize the guys were soldiers in Iraq but my impression of the uber tracker is that he should have picked up on two solider types no problem. Tracking 1 guy vs. 2? and then getting himself shot? Really unbelievable. Just lazy or sloppy to move the story along some plot line.
You may be right on that score. I can't remember. I need to reread it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books