Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:37 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,752 times

Advertisements

I really love reading about historical events in all kinds of eras. Most of all I'm drawn to the 17th and 18th century, medieval times or the times of the pharaos.

Anyway, I don't like dry essays about political or historical facts but prefer novels and sometimes even fiction is okay.

So are there any books you can recommend?

Thanks!
Diana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 04:34 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,534 times
If you like a bit of mystery in your reading, Elizabeth Peters is a good choice with her Amelia Peabody series. It's fiction with a bit of adventure and mystery and all set in Egypt. The series has Indiana Jones feel to it, except the lead is female.

The books are also filled with fantastic historical details and accuracy and it's no wonder since the author, Elizabeth Peters, has a Ph.D. in Egyptology. Here's a link to the author's website: The Amelia Peabody Series, by Elizabeth Peters, bestselling author of the new Children of the Storm

Old 08-15-2008, 04:47 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
If you like a bit of mystery in your reading, Elizabeth Peters is a good choice with her Amelia Peabody series. It's fiction with a bit of adventure and mystery and all set in Egypt. The series has Indiana Jones feel to it, except the lead is female.

The books are also filled with fantastic historical details and accuracy and it's no wonder since the author, Elizabeth Peters, has a Ph.D. in Egyptology. Here's a link to the author's website: The Amelia Peabody Series, by Elizabeth Peters, bestselling author of the new Children of the Storm
Thanks a lot. Will check this out.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:52 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
I would really recommend CJ Sansom's books set during the Dissolution of the monasteries ( "Dissolution", "Dark Fire", "Sovereign"). I find his prose extremely mellifluous and he really does bring history to life.

I also love Steven Saylor's "Sub-Rosa" series, an incredibly vivid account of Imperial Rome taking you through decades of important historical events and characters. His style is quite addictive to read and I started with the first one to see what it was like, within 2 days I had bought all his books !

Steven Saylor Web Site

Lindsey Davis is another one of my favourites and if you like Ancient Ireland I would also recommend Peter Tremayne's "Sister Fidelma" series. Set in the Dark Ages during a crucial turning point of Christianity ( the fight between Celtic Christianity and Rome) and with a backdrop of the fascinating Ancient Irish Legal system.

I have also enjoyed Katherine Mac Mahon's "The Alchemist's daughter", "The Last Mughal" by William Dalrymple.

I have just bought Alexandre Dumas' "latest novel" ( only re-discovered 4 years ago I think - unfinished- a Dumas expert finished it) "The last Cavalier" and that should be a good read hopefully.

If you love accessible factual history books the best in my opinion by Michael Wood and Simon Schama .

Michael Wood :
* In Search of the Dark Ages (1981)
* In Search of the Trojan War (1985)
* Domesday: A Search for the Roots of England (1988)
* Legacy: A Search for the Origins of Civilization (1992)
* The Smile of Murugan: A South Indian Journey (1995)
* In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great (1997)
* In Search of England: Journeys Into the English Past (1999)
* Conquistadors (2000)
* Shakespeare (2003)
* In Search of Myths and Heroes (2005)
* India: An Epic Journey Across the Subcontinent (2007)

Simon Schama :

* Patriots and Liberators: Revolution in the Netherlands 1780–1813 (1977)
* Two Rothschilds and the Land of Israel (1978)
* The Embarrassment of Riches: An Interpretation of Dutch Culture in the Golden Age (1987)
* Citizens: A Chronicle of the French Revolution
* Dead Certainties: Unwarranted Speculations (1991)
* Landscape and Memory (1995)
* Rembrandt's Eyes (1999)
* A History of Britain Vol. I (2000)
* A History of Britain Vol. II (2001)
* A History of Britain Vol. III (2002)
* Hang Ups: Essays on Art (2005)
* Rough Crossings (2005)
* The Power of Art (2006)

Both are my favourite historians by far and having met both I have been so incredibly impressed with the range of their knowledge and their passion for history. If you can ever catch their TV series too, I think you would love it.
Both make the past come to life like nobody else . They are truly giants of history.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:56 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,647,326 times
I really like John Jakes for historical fiction. However, his books are not the time frame that you are after. he is european, emmigrating to America. A lot of great choices! Also, some other american historical fiction is the Wagons West series, a lot of books and good story line.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:45 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
I really love reading about historical events in all kinds of eras. Most of all I'm drawn to the 17th and 18th century, medieval times or the times of the pharaos.

Anyway, I don't like dry essays about political or historical facts but prefer novels and sometimes even fiction is okay.

Thanks!
Diana
He seems to draw vastly differing reviews but I've enjoyed reading many of James A Michener's books where he views a specific from very early days 'til the present.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:31 PM

193 posts, read 812,739 times
I have two historical novels that I haven't yet read, but both look pretty good.

"The Devil in White City" by Erik Larson, has to do with the 1893 World's Fair, an architect, and a serial killer. I've heard good things about this one, and it was a bestseller. It's not actually fiction, but I've heard that it reads like fiction rather than typical straight history.

"The Road to Damietta" by Scott O'Dell. Takes place in 13th century Italy, about a noble woman that falls in love with Francis of Assisi. Looks interesting, I've enjoyed his other books. It's categorized as juvenile fiction, but his books can be enjoyed by anyone.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:39 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,791 times
"Guns Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond. Guns, Germs, and Steel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-15-2008, 05:20 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post

Thanks!
Diana
I enjoyed the 'Outlander' series by Diana Gabaldon. Historical fiction, time travel and essentially the story of 18C Scotland and how/why the Scots emigrated to the US. She includes many of the themes you mentioned.

Claire Randall, WW2 nurse/time traveler was reared by Uncle Lamb--an arhaeologist and there is much discussion of 'The Past'/ancient cultures and beliefs. Claire went on a second honeymoon in the Highlands of Scotland with Frank, the historian, after WW2. She was picking wildflowers around a stone circle and fell through time. There she met James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser, 18C Highlander. Their story spans 6 books--Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, Fiery Cross and A Breath of Snow and Ashes.

I started a Social Group for those who enjoy these books. I felt that I had a good review of sociological/anthropological issues after reading the series. Great escape reading, too. Jamie and Claire are passionate people.

Diana Gabaldon is the author. PhD in environmental science and has a fine, dry wit.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:41 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
Toberta Gellis has written quite a bit about medieval England, there's a whole series called The Roselynde Chronicles. She also wrote quite a few about the emerging middle class in pretty much the same time period. There are also a few by Andre Norton of very much earlier times of the Mongol Hordes and the time surrounding them, including The White Jade Fox and another one about a lost battalian of Romans - something about the lost eagle, I think.

Last edited by karibear; 08-15-2008 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books