Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 07:10 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,537 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to get my daughter to read them for the past 3 or 4 months. She refuses. How can you not like Little House books?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 11:01 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
I don't get that either - my dd wasn't into them. Although, I will say, she enjoyed them if I read them to her but not enough to pick them up herself. For me, it was worth reading them to her because I got to enjoy them again plus at least she got the benefit of the stories....I would read a chapter or two each night at bedtime....Neither one of my kids are big readers no matter what I did to encourage it(I love to read and could easily do nothing all day but sit in a comfy chair with a book and a cup of coffee/tea/wine whatever....). It was important to me to expose my kids to books I knew they would just never pick up on their own so I read to them each night through about 6th grade. It was very nice bonding time. How old is your dd? Maybe try reading them to her. Maybe she'll get interested enough to follow up with the other books later?!

Old 03-02-2009, 10:14 PM

323 posts, read 834,868 times
Anything by Richard Scarry.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:33 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,056,190 times
Little House On The Prarie series

Old 03-03-2009, 06:19 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
Does anyone remember a series written in the 50s about twins named Pam and Penny, by Rosamond Du Jardin? I really loved her books! She also wrote another series about the Heydon family (Tobey, and the then her younger sister, Midge), that started with "Practically Seventeen".

Then there was a series about Amy and Laura, who were also sisters living in The Bronx in the 40s, written by Marilyn Sachs. There were three of those - "Amy Moves In", "Laura's Luck", and "Amy and Laura".

I also loved the Patty Fairfield books by Carolyn Wells, which is a very old series written in the early 1900s. I used to read them when I was visiting my grandmother every summer and there wasn't much to do. They were published between 1901 and 1919, and there are seventeen books.

I loved "A Little Princess" and "A Secret Garden", of course - so much that any film adaptation falls short of my imagination.

I adored "Little Women", and the rest of the series as well - "Little Men" and "Jo's Boys". I also liked "An Old Fashioned Girl".

Anyone remember the Oz books by L. Frank Baum? I had at least a dozen of those; I think my favorite one was "The Lost Princess of Oz".

I used to get those Scholastic books that were for sale through my elementary school. Books like "Miss Osborne The Mop", "What the Witch Left", etc.

There's no way I could only have one favorite book from childhood!

Old 03-04-2009, 07:52 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I don't get that either - my dd wasn't into them. How old is your dd? Maybe try reading them to her. Maybe she'll get interested enough to follow up with the other books later?!
MM, she's 9. I went in her room yesterday and found her deep into Little House In The Big Woods! So now we're good to go.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:45 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,569 times
Somewhere late 50's, early 60's, I was in the library and was attracted by the cover of the book Kon-Tiki: Across the Pacific in a Raft: Thor Heyerdahl. I started reading it there and soon finished it at home. It is the story of Heyerdahl's expedition to validate his theory that ancient peoples from Peru used balsa rafts to sail westward and populate Pacific islands. Great stuff and adventure for this boy I found that he had written a followup book Aku-Aku: Thor Heyerdahl about the mystery of Easter Island and its enigmatic statues. Mysterious secret caves and a surprisingly successful demonstration project to carve a new statue with simple tools. These are the kind of books that transported this kid to other worlds

Old 03-06-2009, 10:31 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
I learned to read at an early age. I was fascinated with "PETER PAN" when I was about five. I was so convinced I could fly I jumped off the ledge of the haymow on Grandma's barn. Of course I wasn't a complete idiot, I jumped into the haystack on the ground. But in my dreams at night for at least two years I flew all over the place. Great book.

GL2

Old 03-06-2009, 10:44 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
"Cars and Trucks and Things That Go" by Richard Scarry

Old 03-07-2009, 08:59 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Favorite little kid books were Harold and the Purple Crayon, Amelia Bedelia, Where the Wild Things Are, and The Story of Ferdinand.
In second grade I read The Boxcar Children over and over, but only the first one. I loved the idea of children being self sufficient and being able to supply their needs thru their own ingenuity--a recurrent theme that I looked for in later reading also.
In third grade I was hooked on Pippi Longstocking.
In 4th grade it was Heidi and Little House on the Prairie series.
In 5th it was My Side of the Mountain and Little Britches by Ralph Moody.(anyone remember that one? It was wonderful and I still think so--I read it to my kids but had to have my husband read the last chapter b/c it was such a tearjerker.)
In 6th grade I found a fabulous little series of fairy tale books by Andrew Lang called The Blue Fairy Book, The Green Fairy Book, etc The pictures were really great too.
In 7th grade I discovered Narnia and
In 8th grade I read and reread Gone With the Wind and Jane Eyre I also discovered a book called Mountain Man that I just loved.
For several summers in a row I read Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn--always in that order and always on summer break. I wouldn't dream of reading them at any other time of the year.
Little Women on the other hand, only got read on X-mas break.
In high school my tastes went downhill and so I won't mention those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books