Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you get most of your books?
Barnes & Noble (STORE) 21 14.79%
Borders (STORE) 17 11.97%
Barnes & Noble (OnLine) 4 2.82%
Amazon.com 47 33.10%
Ebay or Half.com 9 6.34%
Target, Wal-Mart or other major retailer 4 2.82%
Independent Book Store 15 10.56%
Garage Sales/Thrift Shops 28 19.72%
Library 56 39.44%
Other 27 19.01%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 01:39 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Why and are you happy there?
Barnes and Noble.

I get 10% off in the store, and I love their coffee cake!

When I order online, it's usually B&N.com -- I get my 10% off, and if I go through Mr.Rebates first, I get an additional 4 or 5% kickback to my PayPal account (the amount varies according to the current promotion). Amazon is listed on the Mr Rebates site, but it doesn't give a kickback at all.

But when I sell my used books and DVDs, I sell them on Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 01:41 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Interesting. Amazon is wonderful for finding pretty much anything. But I love half.com. Since finding that I try really hard never to pay full price. Garage sales can be great - but obviously it's hit and miss.

Mike - I understand. I have taken to bringing a set $ amount in my pocket into book stores. All credit cards and checks are left IN the car and parked a fair distance from the store. This way, if I go overboard I have time to reconsider. LOL
I spend so much in B&N they sent me a $100 gift card before Christmas.... I've saved it to use with their buy two, get one free DVD sale.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:46 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Amazon rules for short people with bad knees and bad eyesight:

1. I don't have to squat down or bend over for books on the bottom shelf.
2. I don't have to climb up, jump up or knock down books on the top shelf.
3. I can read the titles (unlike those way up there/way down there) when browsing.
4. There is no bookstore bias (displays) or librarian bias (books ordered for the library).
5. All types of the book (hardcover, paperback, audio, kindle) can be found in the same place (on the same page under other versions). I just have to click on them.
6. I don't have to stand in line with a lot of books and wait to check out.
7. I can read customer reviews of books that seem interesting. I can only do that in a library or bookstore if I know in advance the specific book I'll be picking up.
8. I don't have to get on a waiting list for some hot new book or wait for a book from some other store location.
9. I don't have to worry about not finding books that are shelved/reshelved wrong.
10. I don't need help to find the books I want or guess or look up under which category the bookstore or library thinks they belong.
11. They're delivered.
12. Amazon looks at my past purchases and recommends books to me (Note to Amazon: You should only do that with books delivered to the purchaser not books or other products purchased by me but delivered to someone else.)
13. I can buy books for other people and Amazon packages and mails them.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:06 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Amazon rules for short people with bad knees and bad eyesight:
Also if you're somewhat allergic to flickering fluro lights, and the bookstore you haunt has this problem permanently.

Amazon has many books that are unavailable to us in the Antipodes such as books on U.S history, and books pertaining to New Orleans/Louisiana. I'd need another 2 suitcases to be carting those back here.

Otherwise Borders, Dymocks (national retail chain) and indie bookstores. Preferably with good lighting.
It's funny..I can be all day in a bookstore, and never feel tired. But supermarkets and clothing stores....forget it! (in Australia at least).

Old 01-20-2010, 11:54 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Also if you're somewhat allergic to flickering fluro lights, and the bookstore you haunt has this problem permanently.

Amazon has many books that are unavailable to us in the Antipodes such as books on U.S history, and books pertaining to New Orleans/Louisiana. I'd need another 2 suitcases to be carting those back here.

Otherwise Borders, Dymocks (national retail chain) and indie bookstores. Preferably with good lighting.
It's funny..I can be all day in a bookstore, and never feel tired. But supermarkets and clothing stores....forget it! (in Australia at least).
Well, there is one thing I don't understand about Amazon - Why isn't History under nonfiction? Why is it a separate category?

Old 01-20-2010, 12:28 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
I get a lot of books through Bookmooch.com and Paperbackswap.com. I also buy from a local library that has a used book store and amazon.com. I rarely ever shop at Borders, Barnes and Noble, or any other book store besides maybe a used book store.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:27 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
Default From everywhere I can. . .

There was no response for any/all of these.

I even manage to get books for free from people who just no longer want them, which is rather nice, too.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:33 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Most often I get my books from Amazon.com, they always have what I'm looking for and you can find good deals on used books as well. I also shop Barnes & Noble but not often. I like browsing for hidden treasures at the library in their for sale section. Found some good reads for under a buck.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:42 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Edward Hamilton (Falls Village, CT) is an overstock bookseller. The same book you'd pay $16.95 at a bookstore goes for about $5.95 in his catalog. And he charges a flat rate for shipping, no matter how many books you order. An absolutely phenomenal source for books...but frighteningly addictive!

Old 01-26-2010, 08:15 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
I buy most of my books at Half-Price books. I like to shop there because you never know what you'll find. We also go to the library. Online, I've been shopping at Better World Books. They have "free" shipping, which means it's factored into the price, but at least you know how much it's going to cost up front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books