Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:18 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,805,729 times

Advertisements

Made ya look, lol!

But seriously, I've thought about this a lot and it's true. We like what we get when we read; we like the story, or the information we get, or obtaining the news, but just to read for reading's sake? Not really. If I give you a college textbook on a subject that you have no interest in, how likely are you to read it? I'm betting that you'll go find something else to do. Has anyone else ever thought of it this way or am I just weird?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 08:33 AM

7 posts, read 9,989 times
You're just weird. ;o) Just kidding.

What I enjoy is when I find a book I don't think I'll like, give it a try, and am pleasantly surprised. I mean, yes, there are standard authors that I pick up when I want to read something I think will have a high success rate of enjoyment, but those ones I picked up on a lark or which were suggested to me by a friend which I couldn't put down? Priceless.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:39 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
I think the same could be said about anything one enjoys. We enjoy what we get out of it. Think about a person who loves to walk. They love the physicality of it, the calories buring, the fresh air etc...Ask them to walk on a treadmill, inside a stuffy room with no windows or tv or anything to look at, loaded down with clothes heavy enough to impede the cardiovascular aspect of it etc. Will they still like walking, just for the sake of walking?

Old 06-03-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I think the same could be said about anything one enjoys. We enjoy what we get out of it. Think about a person who loves to walk. They love the physicality of it, the calories buring, the fresh air etc...Ask them to walk on a treadmill, inside a stuffy room with no windows or tv or anything to look at, loaded down with clothes heavy enough to impede the cardiovascular aspect of it etc. Will they still like walking, just for the sake of walking?
Well I must admit that I do like walking on a treadmill, but that's b/c I can read my book while I do.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:41 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,327,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Made ya look, lol!

But seriously, I've thought about this a lot and it's true. We like what we get when we read; we like the story, or the information we get, or obtaining the news, but just to read for reading's sake? Not really. If I give you a college textbook on a subject that you have no interest in, how likely are you to read it? I'm betting that you'll go find something else to do. Has anyone else ever thought of it this way or am I just weird?
Many times in the past I've picked things off a library shelf just because they didn't interest me - usually, with the notable exception of higher mathematics, I did find them interesting, once I gave them a fair trial, and that includes a lot of textbooks. That's how I finally read The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire and Durant's Story of Civilization (all of the voumes).

But then, I was one of those kids who would read the list of ingredients on the cereal box if nothing else was available.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:55 PM

313 posts, read 1,053,546 times
I guess you're saying that we're driven by interest in the topic or genre, as opposed to the act of reading. I think that's true to a point. But I do think reading and a sense of curiosity go hand in hand- I think it's hard to otherwise satisfy that curiosity. There are documentaries, etc. but I don't know if they provide the kind of nuance and detail you can get from a book.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:12 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,118,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Made ya look, lol!

I'm addicted. It's kind of an OCD thing . If I don't have something I enjoy reading on hand, I'll read cereal boxes or instruction manuals; even the Public Notices in the newspaper.

I've read the owner's manual from my car from cover to cover. I just bought a new washer and plan to do the same with that. Sometimes I even take a swing at languages other than English (French, Italian, Spanish....).

Great topic for a thread though! Rep points for you.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:10 PM

OK plaidmom and karibear--stepka throws up hands--there really are people who just like to read, no matter what. I used to read cereal boxes, but I moved on to beer cans.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:51 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,844,587 times
I'm SO glad I'm not the only one that reads cereal packets if there's nothing else (heck I've even been reduced to reading the labels on bathroom products)

Old 06-05-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I'm SO glad I'm not the only one that reads cereal packets if there's nothing else (heck I've even been reduced to reading the labels on bathroom products)
Of course one could attribute it to boredom and the kind of restless mind that sucks up any kind of information.

Here's the thing though--I hate sports with a passion. Probably b/c I was an awkward kid and always chosen last for teams, which was hurtful. But, if I was faced with several hours of nothing to do but play sports or read something of absolutely no interest to me, I'd probably play the sport. I"d be more likely to play the sport than to read the sports pages. Fortunately for me, I'm never exposed to choices like that--I can always go take a walk if I want exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books