Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 11:11 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times

Advertisements

I have been a long time buyer and more recent seller of books on Amazon and recently discovered something that might save money when making a purchase. I always assumed that books (and other items) were always listed from least expensive to most expensive. This is not always true. I recently found that Amazon's system has built in logic that is programmed that if a seller has 2 listings for an item on the same product detail page, one offer will display on a later page down the list of offers. This is done to discourage sellers from creating several listings on the same product detail page. This means you may find a lower price copy of a book on later pages depending on how many different conditions a seller has listed. I had usually only looked at the first page unless I didn't see a book in the condition I wanted. This applies to all resellers regardless if the book is new or used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 08:46 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I have been a long time buyer and more recent seller of books on Amazon and recently discovered something that might save money when making a purchase. I always assumed that books (and other items) were always listed from least expensive to most expensive. This is not always true. I recently found that Amazon's system has built in logic that is programmed that if a seller has 2 listings for an item on the same product detail page, one offer will display on a later page down the list of offers. This is done to discourage sellers from creating several listings on the same product detail page. This means you may find a lower price copy of a book on later pages depending on how many different conditions a seller has listed. I had usually only looked at the first page unless I didn't see a book in the condition I wanted. This applies to all resellers regardless if the book is new or used.
Thank you for the info. I'll put it to good use.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:44 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,578,834 times
OP -- most shopping sites, Amazon included, allow you to sort items according to different criteria. Look on the upper right-hand side of the page. There's a "Sort by _______" drop-down menu. Amazon's defaults to "relevance". You can pick "Price: Low to High".

Hope this helps!

Old 03-20-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
OP -- most shopping sites, Amazon included, allow you to sort items according to different criteria. Look on the upper right-hand side of the page. There's a "Sort by _______" drop-down menu. Amazon's defaults to "relevance". You can pick "Price: Low to High".

Hope this helps!
No, you missed my point. First of all, what you are referring to is when you are searching for an item. I'm not talking about searching for an item, I'm pointing when you are searching for the offered prices of a certain item. For example, go to Amazon.com: Buying Choices: McDougal Littell World History: Patterns of Interaction National: Student Edition Grades 9-12 2007

This is a high school world history textbook. The page above displays all the new and used prices including Amazon's price. The sort box gives you the option of "Item Price Only" or "Price+Shipping." Everything is sorted correctly though page 4. The last book on page 4 is priced at $100.99. Now go to page 5, there is a listing for $43.25. The remainder of page 5 appears sorted correctly with the last item at $223.31. Go to the next page, which is page 6. The entire page ranges from $48.75 to $96.01.

All of the Sellers who have a lower priced item listed on page 5 or 6 also have an item listed in a different condition earlier in the listings. This is Amazon's policy for a reseller listing multiple items in different conditions. It appears the first item listed will appear highest in the listings.

My surprise was I would have never looked beyond the 1st or 2nd page, since I assumed all items were listed in order of price. Hope this makes sense.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:50 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
No, you missed my point. First of all, what you are referring to is when you are searching for an item. I'm not talking about searching for an item, I'm pointing when you are searching for the offered prices of a certain item. For example, go to Amazon.com: Buying Choices: McDougal Littell World History: Patterns of Interaction National: Student Edition Grades 9-12 2007

This is a high school world history textbook. The page above displays all the new and used prices including Amazon's price. The sort box gives you the option of "Item Price Only" or "Price+Shipping." Everything is sorted correctly though page 4. The last book on page 4 is priced at $100.99. Now go to page 5, there is a listing for $43.25. The remainder of page 5 appears sorted correctly with the last item at $223.31. Go to the next page, which is page 6. The entire page ranges from $48.75 to $96.01.

All of the Sellers who have a lower priced item listed on page 5 or 6 also have an item listed in a different condition earlier in the listings. This is Amazon's policy for a reseller listing multiple items in different conditions. It appears the first item listed will appear highest in the listings.

My surprise was I would have never looked beyond the 1st or 2nd page, since I assumed all items were listed in order of price. Hope this makes sense.
Amazon's sorting selection has always frustrated me. It's not just with books -- it's with everything. Also, when you change the sort criteria, other items "magically appear" in the list, even though they're not part of the item description that you entered. It's clever on their part and very frustrating on ours, especially in terms of the price issue that you mentioned.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:56 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,578,834 times
Quote:
Ohhh, now I get it. And you're right, it's totally weird! I wouldn't have looked at all of the pages either, since the cheapest books should be on page 1.

I just googled "amazon price sort doesn't work" and there are MANY disgruntled customers out there, but no real explanation for the problem.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Ohhh, now I get it. And you're right, it's totally weird! I wouldn't have looked at all of the pages either, since the cheapest books should be on page 1.

I just googled "amazon price sort doesn't work" and there are MANY disgruntled customers out there, but no real explanation for the problem.
I complained to Amazon about this and the response I received was the following:

"the system has built in logic which states that if a Seller has 2 listings for an item on the same product detail page, one offer will display a little farther down the list of offers. This is done to discourage Sellers from creating several listings on the same product detail page."

Old 07-30-2013, 06:04 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,140,435 times
in addition to amazon, i will recommend abebooks, abebooks.com/.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:23 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,150 times
Yes, I'd agree as well on abebooks.com as well. Good site for hunting.

On another note generally I have had positive experiences with Amazon sellers. I did have an issue with one though regarding the description of the book. When I was asked what does 'new' mean to me well I kind of knew where that was going to lead. But Amazon helped on that score. So may I ask is have you found sellers to be generally on the up and up? Thank you.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:22 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,064,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Yes, I'd agree as well on abebooks.com as well. Good site for hunting.

On another note generally I have had positive experiences with Amazon sellers. I did have an issue with one though regarding the description of the book. When I was asked what does 'new' mean to me well I kind of knew where that was going to lead. But Amazon helped on that score. So may I ask is have you found sellers to be generally on the up and up? Thank you.
I've bought hundreds of used books from amazon over the past 10 years or so, and have very rarely had a problem. Once a book was listed as a hardcover but they sent the paperback -- they blamed the way it was listed but I got my money back (it was a pain in the butt having to make a special trip to the post office to return it, but I didn't have to pay for that either since wasn't listed correctly). I checked a few days later still looking for the same book in hardcover, and found the same sellers listing the book STILL as a hardcover.

A couple of other times books have been listed as "like new" and I get them and they are full of highlighting, underlining, etc. I definitely complain about those, since I HATE to see other people's highlighting especially.

Still, I'd say I've had a problem less than 1% of the books I've bought, so I can't complain too much! I do find amazon's customer service to be fantastic -- they have ALWAYS solved problems to my satisfaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books