Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 06:30 AM

112 posts, read 296,610 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any thoughts on how I could get to Logan, without using my car, from Waltham (near Brandeis)? My flight's at 6am, boarding is at 5:20, probably need to be there at the latest by 4:30, but I know the T to the airport doesn't run that early. Sounds like it may be a pricey cab ride for me, huh? If I can score one at 4am in the snow anyway.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 06:52 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,232,899 times
Can you find someone to give you a ride?

If not, why not take the last T to Logan and stay the night in the airport? Or get a hotel, but that might be too much money.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:30 AM

131 posts, read 320,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalType View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on how I could get to Logan, without using my car, from Waltham (near Brandeis)? My flight's at 6am, boarding is at 5:20, probably need to be there at the latest by 4:30, but I know the T to the airport doesn't run that early. Sounds like it may be a pricey cab ride for me, huh? If I can score one at 4am in the snow anyway.

Thanks!

The terminals at Logan are open 24 hours, so you could just sleep there overnight. If the price of a cab is expensive for you, then a hotel stay would be unreasonable I assume... unless you got a cheap deal on Hotwire.

Take a MBTA bus to Alewife (might involve transfers), and then jump on the Red Line all the way to South Station, and take the Silver Line to Logan the previous evening. That would be my "on a budget" solution for you.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:28 AM

420 posts, read 1,368,627 times
If the flights at 6 am, I think the only option is, drive, cab, or get a ride...

This is the main reason I make sure my flights never leave before 8

Old 12-21-2010, 10:36 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,035,584 times
You could check to see if a car service is any cheaper than a regular cab but yeah, as everyone else said, public transportation is not an option that early in the morning.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:59 PM

41 posts, read 127,418 times
Try taskrabbit.com. No, I have no association with the website - and I've never used them personally so I can't vouch for it - but I saw a coupon for it on BuyWithMe today.

The gist of it is that you "bid" how much you're willing to pay for a service - ranging from putting together an IKEA bookshelf to grocery shopping to picking up your cat at the vet - and people take the jobs. They're advertising something along the lines of "need a ride to the airport?" Basically you might be able to get someone to drive you for less than what a taxi would cost -- if a cab would run you $60-$70 (I don't know if that's accurate, I'm just guessing), maybe you could pay someone $35? Just an idea.

Also you might try (I've never used any of these, so user beware!):
-https://ultimateshuttle.hudsonltd.net/res
-http://www.zebrashuttle.com/

Old 12-21-2010, 03:51 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalType View Post
My flight's at 6am, boarding is at 5:20, probably need to be there at the latest by 4:30
I had a flight that early once (out of Terminal B with US Airways) and arrived before 5 am (at least 1 hr prior to flight time). Well, I felt like I was the only one at the airport. The people who work there (gate agents, flight attendants, etc.) don't even get there until 5:20 or so.

Just a suggestion: You'd be safe arriving at the airport at 5 am, any earlier doesn't do you much good. There won't be lines at the security checkpoint, check-in, etc.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:54 AM

112 posts, read 296,610 times
You guys are great. I hadn't even thought of getting to the airport and crashing there overnight. That really would have worked. Now that I've been to Logan I can see there are several good spots where one could sneak off and get a semi-decent rest if one had to.

Luckily someone offered me a ride in the very 11th hour possible, and I was saved.

I was happy and bummed because even as I was saving myself the taxi fare, I was kinda looking forward to the mini-adventure of slumming it home for Christmas. Oh well, maybe next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston