Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 14,464 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am new here, although am a MA resident for over a year now. Have been using the T, and have managed to get by without a car. Now I am looking to explore the state (as well as neighbourhood states) and feel the need for a car - for the coming three months.

I dont want to make a buy decision right now, and I know that I cant transfer a lease if there are less than 6 months left on the lease. How can I rent a car for 3 months? Is the neighbourhood Enterprise the best option? Does any body know of anyone (owner / dealer) with a car who will lease it for three months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 08:23 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
If you don't need a car every day and plan to explore MA on your days off, then just rent a car when you need it from a standard car rental company. Or look into a Zipcar membership.

What sort of car do you want to drive? What is your budget for a car for the three months?

Old 04-08-2011, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 14,464 times
Hi Miu,
Thanxx for the reply
I am looking for a car - any car really I think I will be comfortable paying about $1500 for three months, insurance extra... is this a good figure or am i looking at the scrap end?

Old 04-09-2011, 12:46 PM

40 posts, read 114,694 times
Yeah I say try zip car, does rent-a-wreck still exist? If so I bet you could strike a deal that way.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:55 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
How old are you? Where in MA do you live? Do you have access to an off street parking space? If you live in an urban area, honestly you should just stick with a Zipcar membership or hunt for weekend car rental specials for your trips around New England. Between car insurance premiums, registration fees, and likely parking violations if you aren't savvy to all the ins and outs of city street parking, it's not worth buying a car for three months for your occasional weekend jaunts. Plus gas prices are on the rise.

And you don't sound like you have much automotive tech knowledge to handle buying and owning a used car in your budget range. But if you were mechanically savvy, then you could get away with buying a used Honda or Toyota for $1500 and then just sell it when you are done with it. I drive a $500 Civic that I bought six years ago, but I know these cars inside and out... I can diagnose any problem and I have my boyfriend to wrench on them. We buy used car parts when needed and also I get 20% off new parts from a dealership I used to work for 18 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston