Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 07:37 AM

4 posts, read 87,623 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I will be venturing into the security side of a career and will be assigned to Dorchester, primarily housing projects. Blue Hill Ave, Washington St. area. What streets, areas, parks are the absolute worst? Where would be considered the most dangerous spots? I am new to the area and have heard Roxbury and Dorchester are the heart of gangs and shootings. Which is fine, I am just looking to familiarize myself with the worst projects and housing areas/alleys etc. Chime in when you can
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 11:45 AM

116 posts, read 319,882 times
The Beacon Hill Wasps are very dangerous. If you don't watch yourself you might get a LV purse to the head.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:15 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times
There all equally terrible. Hope you'll be armed, wouldn't do security in the projects if I wasn't. I used to do trespass towing in many projects there was unfortunately more than one time I had to draw on somebody. Stay safe.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:26 PM

Yes, definitely armed! What streets are the worst? What housing projects would be considered terrible? Is it mostly black and hispanic population?

Old 09-06-2012, 01:20 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
I believe there are only two public housing projects along Blue Hill Avenue. One is Franklin Hill, between the avenue and the American Legion Hwy; the other is Franklin Field which is next to (you guessed it) Franklin Field. Maybe Franklin Hill has been redeveloped under the HOPE 6 program? Not sure, but many of the more notorious BHA projects such as Columbia Point, Mission Hill, and Fidelis Way have been redeveloped and are no longer dangerous. Otherwise the area has privately owned multi-family buildings, mostly wood-frame. Although on Washington Street around Columbia Road there are brick apartment buildings, but not public housing. Franklin Field is a big athletic field across Blue Hill Ave from Franklin Park. The Blue Hill Ave corridor and side streets off it in general have a problem with shootings, although most, like the one very recently on Harlem Street that took the lives of three young women, are not random events but specific hits relating to drugs and gangs.
Not sure anyone on this forum is qualified to say how "terrible" these areas are. People will make sweeping prejudicial generalizations but I doubt any of us here really know these neighborhoods.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:21 PM

What about Grant Manor, New Academy Estates, United Housing and Cruz management?

Old 09-06-2012, 01:50 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
Quick web search... Grant Manor is, apparently, a luxury complex on Washington Street in the South End. Not the same street as Dorchester's Washington St. The South End is an increasingly affluent neighborhood right in town. New Academy is a major revamp of the Academy Homes, a low and moderate-income development in Roxbury on Columbus Ave or Washington St (that other Washington Street). United Housing is a management company with what looks like a varied portfolio although perhaps a lot of older brick buildings of the sort I mentioned along Washington St (Dorchester) near Columbia Road. All these buildings managed by United and the Academy complex in Roxbury and many others are low-moderate income, subsidized housing developments, as opposed to Boston housing authority "projects." As in most cities, the "projects" have the worst problems with violence, which is why so many of them in Boston, Chicago, Newark, and many other cities have been redeveloped into mixed-income complexes. The other buildings are just buildings, regular working people... Relax, be friendly, and you should be fine.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:14 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intothenothing View Post
What about Grant Manor, New Academy Estates, United Housing and Cruz management?
I can tell you from my towing days that Winn and Cruz buy terrible properties some of them actually ARE projects. Many issues in most of them. Always expect the worst. Keep in mind many punks will want to test you. Although you can arrest them, there's a terrible problem in MA with cops not backing up guards and not pushing charges through. This is what has led to people thinking security guards can't do anything unlike in most states where their fully backed by the police when they have to do their job. I've done security and although I liked the job a lot of times it's not worth the hassle. Assuming your LTC isn't restricted, why not do some higher end / private sector stuff?

Old 09-10-2012, 04:33 PM

PM Sent to you snatale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston