Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 6,177 times

Advertisements

I live and grew up in a Hispanic community in South Florida. Here, whether you are meeting someone new for the first time, or already know them, you kiss them on the cheek. Not like, lip to cheek, but we put our cheeks together and make a kissing noise.

I hate it, but I do it unconsciously. It's like "proper" to do that here. If not, you are rude and unfriendly. I've even had teachers do it, leaving the school year, or seeing them at a school event,

I'm going to college (Simmons College) as a freshman in the fall, and I don't want to be going up to people, and having them be like 'wtf". How do I greet people? Do I just say hi? Is there a hug involved? Handshake for men? Obviously, I know how to act for professors, but what about just random people?

I'm a girl, by the way, if that makes things easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 01:31 PM

11,062 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Meeting someone for the first time, regardless of gender, you will say "I'm ________, nice to meet you," give them a firm handshake (no dead fish). 2 pumps of the arm and then release.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:37 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
I'm from Montreal where the French adaptation of a kiss on each cheek is common. But not when you're meeting someone new, for the first time. God, no, that's waaaaay too much!

And that doesn't fly here anyway, the double-cheek thing. Not even the single-cheek thing, really, for most people. Certainly not for people you're just meeting the first time. Yikes.

"Hi" is good. That's it. Just "hi." No hug. I wouldn't shake someone's hand unless they put their hand out to shake mine -- it just seems so... formal, I guess.

I'm a girl, too, by the way. (Well, a woman. I'm old -- I'm just guessing that you'd consider 47 old. )

Anyway, just say "hi" and smile. It's friendly enough and totally gets your point across. As you make FRIENDS, this will change. You might kiss a friend on the cheek or give them a hug, but a random person? "Hi" and smile.

Hi!

Old 02-26-2013, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,177 times
DandJ you are far from being old! And thank you, that was helpful. Now I don't have to worry about being a freak.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:16 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlavail View Post
DandJ you are far from being old! And thank you, that was helpful. Now I don't have to worry about being a freak.
I don't think that giving someone who you know casually (someone you've met before) a kiss on the cheek is being a freak, really. I err on the side of being "too warm" rather than "too cold" -- y'know what I mean?

But since you're asking about random strangers, I stand by my "hi and smile" routine, for sure!

You're going to be FINE! I promise you that!

Old 02-26-2013, 02:19 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,115,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlavail View Post
How do I greet people? Do I just say hi? Is there a hug involved? Handshake for men? Obviously, I know how to act for professors, but what about just random people?
Casual setting: "Hey, how are ya?"

More formal: "Hi, nice to meet you. I'm ___."

I'm with DandJ on the handshake. Lay off unless, it's offered to you. No matter the setting.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:31 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
If you ever go to Europe, you'll see that they play it much closer to what you're accustomed to in Fla - with familiar people - and it's completely gender neutral too. But here I'd stick with "Hi" and no physical touching without cues. Ya gotta figure that most new dorm-mates and classmates are going to have their handshake hand clutching their phone anyway! The better to immediately tweet and text about who they just met, and take pictures. LOL

Old 02-26-2013, 07:50 PM

546 posts, read 1,377,507 times
charlavail

Welcome to Boston, you are a stranger here but once and dam glad to meet you

Bob

Old 02-26-2013, 08:11 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times
If you want to appear mature shake hands. If you are meeting a bunch of young students in a casual environment just say hello, nice to meet you, how are ya in a friendly tone.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:58 PM

21 posts, read 35,600 times
Hey how are you, I'm______, nice to meet you! Agree with handshake comments, save the formality until you are interviewing for a job. Good luck with with your first winter....I'm sure it will be a shock!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: