Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2010, 02:19 PM

11 posts, read 36,221 times

Advertisements

Hi -

A coworker is moving up from Atlanta to Boston. She's sending me out to look at places - I am looking at one twm. in South Boston - Andrews Sq. area (Vinton st.)

Can anyone give me any information on this area?

I have no idea on South Boston - the good, the bad, the ugly...

Is it safe for a single woman? Would you recommend living there? how far is she from good bars/fun places, etc.

I am trying to help her - and I've done searches thru city-data - but it's hard when I don't know where the other streets are that people are referring to (and I can only google search so much ) and I am confusing myself.

thank you all in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 11:49 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,481,105 times
[quote=kaytees;16959925]Hi -

A coworker is moving up from Atlanta to Boston. She's sending me out to look at places - I am looking at one twm. in South Boston - Andrews Sq. area (Vinton st.)

Can anyone give me any information on this area?

I have no idea on South Boston - the good, the bad, the ugly...

Andrew Sq is mostly ugly. Not good, not bad. But definitely ugly. I don't know if ATl has anyplace as ugly as Andrew Sq.

Is it safe for a single woman? Would you recommend living there? how far is she from good bars/fun places, etc.

Safe? Yes. I have girl cousins who lived there for several years. Brother too. I've been thru it many times, no issues. There's a Dunkin Donuts there so there's always cops around. You see some homeless occasionally. You'll see a LOT of trash. It is a TRASHY neighborhood.

Andrew Sq is a little isolated by big highways from downtown, but it is just a few quick stops on the Red Line to the heart of the city and everything. It's about a 3/4 mile walk up Dorchester St to the heart of Southie which is also nice. And it's within sight of the ocean - Carson Beach is right across the park. Carson Beach is not Miami Beach, but I love it. It's a gorgeous walk out to Castle Island. You'll see lots of joggers, skaters, dog walkers, etc. There are also some projects nearby, but pretty docile really.

You would save some money living there cuz you'll put up with living in a fairly skanky looking area. In return for a nice girl living on a scuzzy st, she gets a beach blocks away, Broadway in Southie, and all the vast amenities of fabulous downtown Boston just a few T stops away.

My advice? If yer paying more that 1K, you could do better. You could find a smaller place in Back Bay or City Pointe or many of the other nearby neighborhoods. Andrew Sq is great for people who
must live cheap. Just a few blocks away there are much nicer neighborhoods. Andrew Sq is just situated in the filthiest part of BOS. I would dare say Southampton St from BMC and Dorchester Ave/Old Colony up to Gillette is the filthiest part of BOS and really as filthy as filthy gets. And it's been like that for at least 17 years - I'll bet 50.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:23 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Andrew sq is ugly because it is a residential area with one of the busiest crossroads in the city, right next to the expressway, and too close to the industrial areas of South Bay.
That being said, Vinton St is a fairly quiet sidestreet closer to the beach and recreational parks.
South Boston is actually pretty safe for being so close to downtown. I also have female cousins who currently reside in this area and they apparently like it as one of them just purchased a home on the west side.
I'd say go for it.
For disclosure's sake myself and my cousins are middle class whites from suburbia and I bought a home in the Ashmont section of Dorchester.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:44 AM

158 posts, read 545,983 times
Agreed with above posters. I like Southie. But basically, the further east you go the better. The closer to Andrew and Old Colony, the worse.

I was a rental agent for years. Depends how old she is and how much she wants to spend. And how much she is used to walking.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the replies ! I went and looked at it last week and solicited more advice and I think the general concensus was no. It seems fine durning the day though - my bigger concern was at night, parking her car somewhere and walking back to the house.

Basics about her (i've only met her a couple times) - 30ish years old, single girl. just graduated architectal school /artsy - likes to go out a lot - dinner, drinks, etc. Likes the city - not a suburban girl. Also - she's from Atlanta, she keeps telling me she can handle a tough neighborhood. She is looking to spend $1300ish (and that is flexible depending on what it includes) - one bedroom and the biggest hurdle - she has a boxer (older pup - but still, people hear boxer and it's not good response.)

SO - i really appreciate the responses and will keep trying to help her and probably have more questions. And if anyone has ANY advice (location, lead, etc.) it would be appreciated. I love to go into town - but i know nothing about the neighborhoods, living there - etc.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:05 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
Where will she be working? Will she have a car?

Old 12-17-2010, 02:08 PM

Hi -

She will be working in Canton and yes, will have a car -

Old 12-18-2010, 04:27 AM

158 posts, read 545,983 times
30+ - she is the right side of town. Boston is hopping, but 75% of that is college stuff. I think you shoud check C-Town. Just like Southie, but the crap is on back end, where in Southie the back end is beautiful and the city border is tough. The Town itself is quiet, but its only a 10-15 minute walk to Boston Garden and North Station bars, North End and a 20 minutes to the waterfront bars and Faneiul Hall.

Nice safe pretty walk over the Charles, literally on the Freedom Trail. Look Navy Yard and Gas Light District. Really Gas light district where Olives, and the Ironside and Tangierino.

Last edited by lukec; 12-18-2010 at 04:39 AM..

Old 12-18-2010, 11:44 AM

3 posts, read 13,234 times
I moved to Southie just a few months ago from Brighton. I am truly loving it. Originally I was also looking for a place close to Andrews Square, but decided against it because it seemed a little dirty.
We settled on the Perkins Square area (right in between East/West South Boston) I it is really safe, clean, and some nice restaurants nearby. Broadway T station is about a 10 minute walk, but there are buses #9 which come quite often and take you right into the city.
I feel South Boston is really the best of Boston, you have younger 30's professionals and a lot of new construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston