Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 12:06 PM

101 posts, read 116,224 times

Advertisements

I am considering purchasing a home in Hyde Park. I know this isn't the most desired neighborhood in boston, but heck it's still Boston and my money will go quite far here. It seems that real estate values have increased here and I only imagine they will go up as people get priced out of other areas (particular Roslindale and parts of dorchester which are close by)

Does anyone have any experience with this section of Boston? I realize there is no redline, but there is a commuter rail which is zone1a (same price as redline) so I'm good with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 03:44 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,702,273 times
I would compare it to Dorchester. Maybe it's a little nicer/safer.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:48 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,113,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
I would compare it to Dorchester. Maybe it's a little nicer/safer.
But many parts of Dorchester are very desirable...like Lower Mills, Savin Hill, Adams Village, Neponset etc, and all of these neighborhoods outshine Hyde Park.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:27 PM

Yes there are some very nice neighborhoods in Dorchester with nice homes but considering they are so close to areas that are bad im just not sure i want to risk investing there...and honestly the places i really like in (lower mills) are basically out of my price range. Id really like a house and there are nice houses in HP i can afford. The crime in HP is not as bad as in Dorchester (ive done my research. It looks like id want to steer clear of the HP section closest to mattapan though...however that section is sort of near milton which is a very nice place. I also cant stand dot ave, it's unavoidable it seems if you live there and dirty.

I think hyde park has a lot of potential. Many people are priced out of JP, Roslindale and w. Roxbury so HP is a place people are looking too.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:21 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,113,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elysium78 View Post
Yes there are some very nice neighborhoods in Dorchester with nice homes but considering they are so close to areas that are bad im just not sure i want to risk investing there...and honestly the places i really like in (lower mills) are basically out of my price range. Id really like a house and there are nice houses in HP i can afford. The crime in HP is not as bad as in Dorchester (ive done my research. It looks like id want to steer clear of the HP section closest to mattapan though...however that section is sort of near milton which is a very nice place. I also cant stand dot ave, it's unavoidable it seems if you live there and dirty.

I think hyde park has a lot of potential. Many people are priced out of JP, Roslindale and w. Roxbury so HP is a place people are looking too.
You are right about hp as having potential. The gamble is whether it will reach that potential and when. Most important is how you feel about your house and where you live. If you like hp, then it's a good and safe buy.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:02 PM

Yeah it's hard to tell what will happen. The prices there just seem so low though that it only seems like they could go up.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:59 AM

2,948 posts, read 5,197,882 times
Maybe go to the library in Hyde Park and speak to a librarian or two; perhaps they live there and have insight.

There's a weekly newspaper for HP. I hope it's still in business. Check out back issues at the library. They've sold the papers at Tedeschi store.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:36 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,326,816 times
I think hyde park a forgotten section of boston. I guess it's just unremarkable for some reason but it doesn't seem all that different from roslindale which is much more expensive than hyde park. I want to say that hyde park does seem like a good place to invest in given the lower prices...people do want lower prices. But if people havent figured it out or discovered it by now then maybe it will just stay how it is...not that there's anything wrong with it.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:24 AM

546 posts, read 1,378,031 times
Elysium,

Good choice in my thinking. Hyde Park is starting to make a comeback in the way of a desirable place to live. I grew up there and will always love it. I visit there often and can see the improvements over the last few recent years. A good investment. Hope we are good to you

Bob

Old 07-01-2016, 12:53 PM

288 posts, read 635,465 times
I would look more closely at the location and the public transportation connections. The benefit of Roslindale is that it's an easy connection to Jamaica Way if you drive by car. The Needham line stops at Ruggles (Longwood Medical), Back Bay, and South Station (Downtown/Financial District). If you miss the commuter train, you then take a bus connection to Forest Hills on the Orange Line. On the other hand, the Hyde Park/Fairmont line only has one major stop at South Station, so if you work at Back Bay you have to backtrack. So that might contribute to the desirability of the neighborhood in the long run--there are just more workers that want a train connection to Ruggles and Back Bay.

Also, what interesting businesses are in Hyde Park? What are neighborhood events to draw people in? I hear about parades in Dorchester, Porch Fests in Jamaica Plain, and Farmer's Markets and Open Artist Studios in Roslindale. What's happening in Hyde Park?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston