Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2017, 05:34 AM

11 posts, read 27,597 times

Advertisements

Asking for my sister and her husband who are thinking about making an offer on a condo right on Dorchester Ave. She is pregnant and wondering about safety in that area for herself and baby-to-be. The property is pretty much at Dorchester Ave and Bellflower. She would need to walk home from work from the T after dark, it seems like walking from JFK is better than from Andrew. Any insight from others who have frequented the area? Safety in terms of walking at night, break-ins to houses and cars, etc?
She also wonders if living right on Dorchester Ave might be better than one of the side streets for walking at night. Thanks to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 11:30 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,463,801 times
The only spot in Boston where there is any kind of Polish presence at all, but disappointing if you're expecting anything like they have in Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, Pittsburgh. But that's just for the record, sounds like you don't really care about the ethnic aspect.

I kinda like going down to the area for some of the Polish events. I looked at an apartment on Boston St but opted to stay in Brighton. I will say, there are a lot of druggies around. They wander around the few blocks from Andrew Station. I don't know if they're violent or anything (probably aren't) but it can be uncomfortable. I think it would seem pretty shady after sundown.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:10 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,325,212 times
Default Re

This area seems to be getting a lot of hype and the prices have gone way up but it feels like lipstick on a pig to me. The only thing that seems good about it is it's close proximity to boston proper, the red line is right there and it's very close to 93. My guess is those 3 things will bring in the professionals and drive out the riff raff as time goes on...but as of now there is still plenty of riff raff there.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
This area seems to be getting a lot of hype and the prices have gone way up but it feels like lipstick on a pig to me. The only thing that seems good about it is it's close proximity to boston proper, the red line is right there and it's very close to 93. My guess is those 3 things will bring in the professionals and drive out the riff raff as time goes on...but as of now there is still plenty of riff raff there.
I agree. I'm guessing the people that have moved in have done so to be close to other things (work, Southie), not to be in that neighborhood per se. And for the price it's not worth it. I can live in Brighton for considerably less and not have random meth heads yell at me for no reason going to work in the morning.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:20 AM

2,948 posts, read 5,196,643 times
Driving a cab (now Lyft) at night thru there occasionally over the years, it seems stable and relatively safe, at least from afar, especially when nobody is around at 2 a.m.

Isn't the 224 Boston restaurant a foodie haven? It's been there for over ten years, I think. They would have moved by now if any major issues?

Picked up a young gay male a couple of years ago there who had bought a condo, and lives there, in a multi-family who seemed excited to live there. Picked up two gay males at night there this month who requested a ride. Gays populating neighhoods is usually a good thing according to most posters on C-D, correct?

But for many (and myself?), it's still much too close to Edward Everett Square and the Massachusetts Avenue dividing line into the shady parts of Dorchester up around and off Columbia Rd to Uphams Corner and beyond, though Pleasant Street and Jones Hill are very desirable Dorchester pockets close to those shady areas -- yet people still yearn to live in those parts of Dorchester.

But if I could afford a 1BR condo there, sure I'd consider living there.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:13 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,325,212 times
Default Re

Yes 224 has been there for a long time and it is a good restaurant. I guess a good restaurant doesn't necessarily make a place completely safe still. Also when I think of the Polish triangle i think of that strip that has cafe polonia, some baltic grocery store, stitch house, then the banchee bar isnt too far away. 224 isnt on this strip.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Yes 224 has been there for a long time and it is a good restaurant. I guess a good restaurant doesn't necessarily make a place completely safe still. Also when I think of the Polish triangle i think of that strip that has cafe polonia, some baltic grocery store, stitch house, then the banchee bar isnt too far away. 224 isnt on this strip.
Right, the Polish part of the Polish triangle is pretty much only north of 93.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston