Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2019, 12:39 PM

24 posts, read 20,351 times

Advertisements

OK,his might be a bit of a weird question, but hopefully you will be able to help me out.

Today I was standing, with my 10 lb dog, under a tree, in the shade, close to a school. I didn't even know it was a school, I was just waiting for my husband to get lunch from the near by restaurant. My dog was sitting next to me.

A lady walk past me 2 times, looking me up and down every time, and on the third occasion she said I shouldn't be standing there. I said, ok, why not. And she said because it's school property and the dog might pee on the fence. She also pointed to the playground near by, with no dogs allowed sign. I was like ok, sure, but we are on the sidewalk, waiting, standing, we are not on the playground. As far as I know I'm on public property? And she repeated, just make sure your dog doesn't urinate here, because it's school, there are kids,... I moved to the other half of the sidewalk, so that I wasn't too close to the fence, and I asked her if that's ok, but she just left and returned with a security guard! They didn't talk to me or anything, they were just standing there, staring at me. I was showing them my back, but I did glance, while I was talking to my dog, giving him treats.

So, I am wondering, is there a law or something that prohibits the dog and me standing too close to the fence, god forbid peeing on it - him, not me. Can we stand on the sidewalk in front of the school? I don't want to break any laws, but I also don't want to be treated like a criminal for merely standing next to the fence, because the dog might pee. We were just looking for some shade. Oh, and there are no signs on the fence, nothing to alert me, or other people who might get the same idea - to stand under the tree in the shade - with a dog. Not just this property, maybe in general?

I would be grateful for your help I do apologize again if this is silly. We are kinda new in Boston and I want to make sure I am not doing anything wrong.

P.S. Attached is the photo where we were standing, the tree is hidden by the bus, but that's kinda where we were.
Attached Thumbnails
Standing on the sidewalk with a dog-sidewalk.jpg  

Last edited by Teych22; 05-21-2019 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 12:56 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,608,027 times
She is just trying to help you out, because.......

The dog pees on the fence. The acid in the dog's urine weakens the metal in the fence until it falls over. The children no longer have a protective fence and a child will run out into the street by accident. The ambulance rushing past at that exact moment in time will hit the child and the ensuring investigation by two thirds of the Boston PD will force the closure of streets in the immediate area pushing traffic congestion into business areas of the city. The resulting traffic confusion and the lack of police presence will, of course, lead to small scale rioting in the affected areas and the following news coverage will escalate the situation into a national emergency and the governor will institute martial law to save the property and control the violence. This will encourage Trump to declare a national emergency and ban all minorities and LGBT citizens from the area. The national riots as a result will shut down the economy and all international ports of entry essentially bankrupting the US and many of its allies as the dollar fails and the international money exchange frantically attempts to switch the basis currency to continue trading. The lack of a monetary standard will collapse the trading boards and the world will degrade into anarchy and technology will become unsustainable as we further degrade into a stone age society.

Can't you get that your thoughtless and inconsiderate choice of where to stand has outrageously dangerous consequences? Sheesh!

Actually, I doubt there is any law regarding you standing on the sidewalk or even in proximity to a school unless you are on a sex-offender list. I think she just has way too much time on her hands.

Have a nice day. ��

Old 05-21-2019, 12:57 PM

3,222 posts, read 2,127,353 times
I know there are a lot of school playground areas that have signs posted about dogs. It's because of the spread of fecal-born disease... That being said. She sounds like a lunatic.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:05 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
She sounds like a lunatic.

Leaning this way.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:15 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,971,833 times
Nope.. just another busy body. You have the right to walk your dog while leashed on a public sidewalk. You dog isn’t going to pee students and I am pretty sure the majority wouldn’t require therapy had they seen your dog pee. I’d have told them to MYOB.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:17 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,335,748 times
And I suppose none of these children that have to be fanatically protected against any contact with dog poop or pee, have a dog at home?

Sheesh. I mean, I don't like stepping in dog doo, but people are really getting wacky. You know, there's this stuff called soap and water. You get something on you, you use soap and water to remove it.

I won't describe all the nasty stuff children get into, that makes the risk of a little dog urine on their feet look trivial.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:29 PM

24 posts, read 20,351 times
I thought that might be the case, but just wanted to check, just in case. I mean, with all the laws, I thought there might be one... I am still googling, just in case.

Honestly, if he did pee there, a student would have to crawl over cans, paper wraps, containers and leftover food and possibly even on the sidewalk, so they would have much bigger problems. Idk, the whole thing was just so unnecessary. And it kinda reminded me of times when my parents would accuse me of something, but I knew I didn't do it.

Dog poop is a problem though, you have to be really careful when walking around, but then again, every time I walk in West Fens, I step on a gallon of goose poop. I do understand people slightly hating us though... I try to be as respectful as I can be, but this was just a bit too much. :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: