Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,716 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to CO and I will be working in Boulder. My husband will more than likely end up working in Denver. Does anyone have any recommendations of places to live that would accommodate both commutes? We are not looking to buy right away, but don't want to live in an apartment as well. We would love to rent a place with a yard for our dog. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 06:45 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHuel View Post
My husband and I are relocating to CO and I will be working in Boulder. My husband will more than likely end up working in Denver. Does anyone have any recommendations of places to live that would accommodate both commutes? We are not looking to buy right away, but don't want to live in an apartment as well. We would love to rent a place with a yard for our dog. Any suggestions?
Broomfield and Westminster (depending on exact locations in each) both offer easy-ish commutes to both Boulder and Denver.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:38 AM

73 posts, read 190,678 times
Louisville is a great small town with good schools and nice nightlife very close to Boulder and Outdoor activities...a bit farther on the denver comute but good bus service to downtown Denver. You should consider it if you want a less "suburban" experience.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:26 PM

21 posts, read 80,161 times
My husband and I are in the same situation. We are considering Broomfield, which is much more affordable than Louisville, and near downtown Denver (my commute is less of a big deal than his probably will be because I work from home a lot of the time and have a flexible schedule).

Keep in mind that the traffic during rush hour flows mostly INTO downtown Denver, with only a slight backup on Hwy 36 going into Boulder. I drove from downtown Denver to Boulder 3 times when we were visiting in February and it took 35 minutes every day (although I hear it can be double that in the snow). Looking at the other side of the highway, though, at the traffic coming into downtown Denver, I saw the traffic just creeping as I was driving the speed limit heading out to Boulder.

Westminster would probably be the closest to halving the two commutes, but I personally don't like the area nearly as much. Broomfield (on the N side of Hwy 36 near the nice parks) and Louisville/Superior are definitely the places to look if you want a yard for your dog. You could also consider the Highlands area just west of downtown Denver, although the yards will be small there.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
36 backs up almost every morning going into Boulder from the east.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:09 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,898 times
36 is pretty busy both directions. It really depends on the day -- if I had to pick one direction to commute, though, I'd commute from Denver to Boulder rather than the other way around -- if for no other reason the section of I-25 between DT and 36 is jammed very badly going into DT every morning.

Pick your place along US-36. Westminster does have some run-down parts and nice parts, for what it's worth. Generally that part of Westminster in Jefferson County, I'd say, is pretty consistently nice -- most of the less desirable parts are in Adams County but even in Adams there are nice parts. Louisville is probably overall the nicest -- but it's much closer to Boulder than it is to Denver.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:09 AM

163 posts, read 576,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHuel View Post
We just moved here from Seattle and were shocked by Boulder rent prices. We found a great deal here in Superior and it is very convenient to both Boulder and denver.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:22 PM

11 posts, read 22,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamboatannie953 View Post
We just moved here from Seattle and were shocked by Boulder rent prices. We found a great deal here in Superior and it is very convenient to both Boulder and denver.
How far is Superior from Boulder? what kind of prices were you seeing on average? my family and i are either heading to boulder from Asheville, nc or back to southern Cali.. i may end up splittign up from my daughters father so i am looking at prices for 1BD's. it seems $780ish is the low end. and 2 bd's are $1300+.

how do you like boulder? does it feel like a safe place to live, people are friendly? the thing that draws us more towards CA, besides family, is that CA is the only state with decent gun laws. A minor can have a gun in CO and they don't require gun training or even keep records of sales or anything. WTF?

thank you for input!

Old 07-28-2011, 04:05 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellalove3 View Post
How far is Superior from Boulder? what kind of prices were you seeing on average? my family and i are either heading to boulder from Asheville, nc or back to southern Cali.. i may end up splittign up from my daughters father so i am looking at prices for 1BD's. it seems $780ish is the low end. and 2 bd's are $1300+.

how do you like boulder? does it feel like a safe place to live, people are friendly? the thing that draws us more towards CA, besides family, is that CA is the only state with decent gun laws. A minor can have a gun in CO and they don't require gun training or even keep records of sales or anything. WTF?

thank you for input!
Perhaps you should stay where you are or go on the California. Your ideas of gun ownership are not reality in Colorado. Gun Ownership is allowed but there are laws for sales, owning, carrying and certainly restrictions for minors. Colorado is a progressive State and gun ownership rights are respected and needed for many situations; but Colorado is not your imagination and misconceptions of the "Wild West".

Livecontent

Old 07-28-2011, 04:12 PM

724 posts, read 1,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellalove3 View Post

thank you for input!
I encourage you to visit the area. Southern California is nowhere near as nice as Colorado, and has so much against it (traffic, concrete, crowded, no real public transit), especially if you have kids and want them to experience nature. I wouldn't worry about gun laws. I lived in Texas for a year, where restaurants would post on their entrances asking you to leave your guns outside. Even in that environment, it wasn't something we ever thought about. And judging from your viewpoints, you'd probably like Boulder's political leanings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area