Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:13 AM

245 posts, read 708,709 times

Advertisements

For the first time, I am considering buying a reel mower v/s buying a gas powered lawn mower. The lawn is small and flat - no slope of any kind - so, I am sure that I can handle pushing it around. Also, I liked all the reasons listed on this website: Reasons why you might like a reel mower

And this quote from the same website:
"You don’t need any gasoline to run a push reel mower, because it’s powered by your arms and legs. The only noise comes from grunting, and if there are any issues with exhaust, well, the pharmacy has pills for that."

Anyone else here uses a reel mower ? Would you recommend it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 12:16 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I had a reel mower I used for 3 years. Worked just fine. Never understood why you would need a power mower unless you had so much land that a riding mower made sense.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:27 AM

Agreed - although, I am somewhat put off by the price of the reel mowers. For something with just blades and no engine, $100+ is on the higher side.

Any particular brand of reel mowers you would recommend ?

Old 04-26-2012, 12:35 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Some real mowers are gas powered... have and old Toro commercial real mower that is gas powered.

My Grandmother always mowed her lawn with a push real mower... it had 7 blades instead of the more common 5 blade real.

Every year she had the shop adjust and sharpen it... it was smooth as silk and cut great...

All depends on how much lawn and how level the area...

Some of the cheap real mowers are junk... the blades do not hold an edge... also, hitting a sprinkler head or rock and know the entire assembly out of line of worse... a new blade for my gas mower is about $7 and held on by one bolt.

Either way... you might find a deal on one used...

Old 04-26-2012, 12:56 AM

From what I read, reel mowers have come a long way since then - but yeah, the maintenance is in form of sharpening the blades instead of regular engine maintenance. But the thought of no more engine oil changes, no more gas, no more fumes/exhaust and lots less noise - Really imagining how it will feel to hear the mechanical click-click instead of the loud engine roar. I just want to make sure that it is not a purchase that I will regret later on ...

Old 04-26-2012, 08:12 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,356 times
I have one now in Portland and had one when I lived in Fort Collins. I love them and wouldn't imagine using a gas mower. It's actually kind of pleasant to mow the lawn. Good quiet time instead of the deafening roar of an engine. The idea of not using gas is also very pleasing. They don't cut quite as well (since there is no suction like a gas mower), but they're sufficient. They're fine for Colorado, where grass tends to be thinner due to less rain.

I agree the prices are a little off-puting. You should definitely look for a used one. A good sharpen won't run you more than $15 or so, and should last you well over a year.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Don't forget electric power mowers...

A local agency here was exchanging vouchers for $50 off on a electric power mower when a gasoline mower was surrendered.

Every other week I do yardwork at 6 properties I manage... wouldn't be able to get as much done or as thorough without my HiVac gasoline mower.

The HiVac sucks up leaves and shreds them along the walks and under the trees... it's a mower and a very effective vacuum.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:08 AM

724 posts, read 1,934,389 times
I had one when I was younger, thinking the joy of moving and getting a workout at the same time would be great, plus I hate the noise and pollution of gas mowers. But the reality was the thing took a lot of effort just to get going, and is a bear to reposition around obstacles. And then the blades got dull quickly, and I didn't have the tools or time to get them sharpened.....so out it went.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:31 PM

377 posts, read 1,054,541 times
I had one and did not like it. We use and recommend electric.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageRider View Post
I had one and did not like it. We use and recommend electric.
Electric/battery powered are certainly an option - although I have never used them before either. Do I have to have it connected with an extension when using it or does it charge and then I disconnect to do the mowing ?

Also, how noisy is an electric mower ? If it has a battery, is it prone to losing the ability to hold a charge and eventually needs to be replaced ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area