Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,595 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate my family to Longmont mid-2014. Longmont is a large city and I was wondering if there are areas that I should stay away from. I have a wife and four daughters ages 3, 6, 9 & 16. Looking for a nice area of Longmont that has a nice community feel to it. Any input would be much appreciated.

Vic

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-29-2013 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 10:32 AM

377 posts, read 1,055,041 times
Vic -

What are you looking to spend? There are lots of great neighborhoods for families. Depending on what you are looking for, it might be easier to recommend areas to look rather than suggesting areas to avoid.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:10 PM

22 posts, read 60,439 times
I like the look of the area near McIntosh Lake, not sure what that neighborhood is called. If I lived there, rather than in SW Longmont, how much longer would it add to the drive to the Denver airport or the CU campus in Boulder?

Old 12-29-2013, 02:53 PM

I don't think it would add very much time to your trip to the airport because you would just pop over to I-25 on 66, avoiding any traffic in town. It would add a few minutes on your trip to Boulder.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:37 PM

Sounds good, thanks. I'm also really drawn to old town Longmont, some very pretty houses there. One issue that concerns me about those is insulation and energy efficiency. Is it possible to heat them without spending a fortune on utility bills?

Old 12-29-2013, 07:50 PM

Not sure where you are coming from regionally, but our utilities (especially electric, which is through the city) are really reasonable. Our homes in old town are 2000+ sq ft and they haven't been so bad. It really depends on the individual house, however (part of their charm!)

Old 12-29-2013, 10:52 PM

Thanks again, I just checked the utility rates, they seem very reasonable. You're right about those houses, they ooze charm. From what I can tell, Longmont seems like a well run city.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:30 AM

166 posts, read 412,164 times
Being up near McIntosh Lake (eg the Shores, L'mont Estates, West Lake) will add about 5-10 minutes to Boulder, easiest would be to take Airport Rd down to the Diagonal. The slow spot along there is between Niwot Rd and IBM, so that is why many people will go out and take 63rd. Getting out to DIA is easy too and it will take about an hour door to door.

Old Town area of Longmont has alot of charm and appeals to many. Utilities will vary from house to house but you may be surprised how efficient old homes can be. Longmont provides its Water, Elec and Trash and if you call them they can give you a hi,low and average cost for a given address. Xcel provides gas and again they can give you the same info if you call them directly.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:48 AM

21 posts, read 46,545 times
DressageRider - I took your advice from my other post and have started to look at Longmont. I felt like it was too far North, but maybe not. The homes in Old Town have such great character. Is it walkable to shops, coffee, restaurants or is the main street area not like Louisville. We'll be out in a few weeks, but thought I'd ask some questions.

TarkaK9 - you mention its about an hour to DIA. I feel like I've been told its an hour from DIA to Fort Collins. Does that seem right?

What is the neighborhood like near McIntosh lake and does it freeze enough for ice skating on it? I read in a backyard rink/pond hockey forum that Longmont had a lake or pond that residents skated on. (We are a hockey family.)

Vizcarrafam - have you found any family friendly neighborhoods you are interested in? We have a 11 year old boy and girls age 10 and almost 6.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:27 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,062,282 times
Elkoda, I think you are wise to shift your search over to Longmont. It is a great area and I don't think you will be disappointed. Louisville is just way to overvalued to make sense at this point. For people who live there it works but even they have complained about all the additional traffic and noise generated from their revitalized main street. It wasn't much of anything when we first moved here but now we love it, as a destination for lunch, dinner or festival. Longmont still has that small town atmosphere but seems more like a real small town where people live and shop. Louisville's downtown area is more akin to a resort destination with great restaurants and cute little shops for art/specialty cookware.

Edit: You might want to look at old town Lafayette. Not as discovered as Louisville. But an in-between step to Longmont.

Last edited by mic111; 12-31-2013 at 11:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area