Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:51 PM

5 posts, read 30,272 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how hard it would be to meet friends in Longmont as a mid forties single woman with no kids. I have friends in other Colorado cities but for various reasons do not want to live in these cities. I would not know a single person in Longmont. The location (close to Boulder but less expensive) appeals to me. I presently live in Norfolk, VA in an artsy, urban neighborhood but I'm not really looking to replicate this. I'm selling my little bohemian restaurant for a good chunk of change, so I don't have to hit the ground running but I will have to return to work at some point (start another restaurant or work for someone else, who knows?). I think this in my long over due "big change".
I am a friendly person, but I don't particularly like going to events by myself. Are there other people out there that might be in the same position as myself or is it primarily families, couples and college kids?
The urbanistic community of Prospect intrigued me because it seemed to encourage connection. Does any one know what it's like to live there? I would appreciate any opinions....you guys are so helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 08:01 AM

698 posts, read 2,046,591 times
LOL I was just going to suggest Prospect. I know several people who live there and they all love it. If you want to meet people easily and want to live in Longmont, Prospect would be a good place for you.

People are always out walking, going to the coffee shop, in the parks etc.. which makes it easy to meet people and form friendships. The people I know in Prospect are families (and a couple without kids), so I'm not sure if there are many singles there, but I'm sure there must be some with the diversity of housing available in Prospect.

Hope this is helpful!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:46 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,110 times
There was a thread regarding Prospect from a bit back - you may want to do a search. In all honesty - unless you really put yourself out there when you get here - such as events/clubs for things of your interest, volunteering, etc., you are going to have a hard time making connections.
We live in Longmont. Maybe I just got go to the right places, but I wouldn't peg it as a hot place for a single woman in her 40's.....I don't know. Maybe I'm totally off base on that. If you haven't been here before, definitely make a trip and get a feel for the area. I know you said you didn't want to necessarily repeat your life there, but Longmont seems a world away from what you are used to.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:43 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,467,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisegirl View Post
I was wondering how hard it would be to meet friends in Longmont as a mid forties single woman with no kids. I have friends in other Colorado cities but for various reasons do not want to live in these cities. I would not know a single person in Longmont. The location (close to Boulder but less expensive) appeals to me. I presently live in Norfolk, VA in an artsy, urban neighborhood but I'm not really looking to replicate this. I'm selling my little bohemian restaurant for a good chunk of change, so I don't have to hit the ground running but I will have to return to work at some point (start another restaurant or work for someone else, who knows?). I think this in my long over due "big change".
I am a friendly person, but I don't particularly like going to events by myself. Are there other people out there that might be in the same position as myself or is it primarily families, couples and college kids?
The urbanistic community of Prospect intrigued me because it seemed to encourage connection. Does any one know what it's like to live there? I would appreciate any opinions....you guys are so helpful!
You could know me! I am an early forties single woman with no kids (but 2 cats) who doesn't know a single person in Longmont either and I've been there 2 years. I don't mind going to events by myself, but company is always welcome. I don't live in Prospect but it seems like a nice area with good restaurants and good-looking housing. I live way the other side of town in a development populated mostly by young professionals who are at work all day like me or retirees who live in AZ half the year.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:42 PM

I was wondering why it is you think you haven't made any connections in two years? Is the area too family oriented? Everyone keeps to themselves? What's up?
I have visited Longmont but spent most of my visiting time (very short) in Boulder, Denver and Fort Collins. I just drove through Longmont but liked the energy. I have lived in Breckenridge and Denver for a short while, liked both but don't particularly want to go back, (maybe Denver).
Thanks very much for everyone's input and I welcome any viewer's opinion!
I seem to be having a hard time deciding where to go but know I'm definitely going somewhere in this area. I love the outdoors, friendly people, and weekend adventures....there's always some interesting event going on. I would l just like to know I have a snowball's chance of meeting some unattached good people to do things with. Thanks to all that have taken the time to respond....

Old 04-05-2008, 10:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
I hate to say this, but I just don't see the "energy" in Longmont. I am a long-time resident of Boulder County, and used to work for the Boulder Co. Health Dept as a traveling nurse, so I spent a lot of time there, among other places.

The thread on Propspect was very interesting. It pointed out the pros and cons of living there very well, I thought.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:11 PM

87 posts, read 416,463 times
Like anywhere you go if you make an effort you will meet people. There are events of all sorts all year, although more in the warmer months. There's the Art Walk about three times a year. There are also street fairs, Oktoberfest etc. There is a very good rec. center with all sorts of activities. There are many ways to volunteer. If you just look you will find friendly folks all over. Talk to people in the stores, the hairdresser, in the restaurants, etc.

Prospect is expensive and seems to be very trendy, but you are just as likely to meet people in town as well. There are a couple of good restaurants as well as a coffee house etc.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:37 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,467,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisegirl View Post
I was wondering why it is you think you haven't made any connections in two years? Is the area too family oriented? Everyone keeps to themselves? What's up?
I have visited Longmont but spent most of my visiting time (very short) in Boulder, Denver and Fort Collins. I just drove through Longmont but liked the energy. I have lived in Breckenridge and Denver for a short while, liked both but don't particularly want to go back, (maybe Denver).
Thanks very much for everyone's input and I welcome any viewer's opinion!
I seem to be having a hard time deciding where to go but know I'm definitely going somewhere in this area. I love the outdoors, friendly people, and weekend adventures....there's always some interesting event going on. I would l just like to know I have a snowball's chance of meeting some unattached good people to do things with. Thanks to all that have taken the time to respond....
I have a hard time because everyone I know lives and works in Loveland or Fort Collins and they all have their own family or circle of friends. The area where I live is mostly young couples or retirees who are in Arizona half the year. I can go the whole weekend on my balcony and not see a soul in the entire complex. Where do they go ? I've recently looked at meetup.com but all their events seem to take place down in Denver. I'm also pretty bad at just going out on my own and meeting people - a mix of shyness and total lack of small talk - so I'm definitely not saying it's the fault of Longmont. I don't do church, I can't afford a gym since I got laid off, but I have been thinking about joining the Friends of the Library and getting roped into helping with their events. I've also joined a professional association, altho they only meet in Denver. But it's a start. The place where I'm temping now is very social so I'm hopeful they'll hire me full-time and I'll make a few more connections that way.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:00 AM

Thank you...your thoughtful response is very helpful to me. I know it takes some creativity to meet people (especially if bars are not your thing, I know they are not mine). I know that Denver or Fort Collins might be better for singles, but I kind of like the idea of a little slower pace. I am going back to actually find an apartment soon so I guess my final decision will be made then. I am definitely interested in Prospect and want to check that out. The way I feel about it is that all the towns (and Denver) are so close together that it would not be hard to take advantage of what all of them have to offer. Maybe I could get back in touch? when I come to Longmont? I'd appreciate it.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
The way I feel about it is that all the towns (and Denver) are so close together that it would not be hard to take advantage of what all of them have to offer.
According to MapQuest, it is 40 miles from Twin Peaks Mall in way south Longmont to my old office in downtown Denver, and an estimated 45 minute drive. I think that is what chilalli meant about Denver being too far for some activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area