Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 08:17 AM

121 posts, read 240,849 times

Advertisements

So after the Cotto/Rito fight, Bob Arum said he wants to make a Cotto vs Chavez Jr fight. Cotto said he'd like that fight and so did Chavez Jr.

I'm thinking Chavez is going to be easily 15-20lbs bigger then Cotto but at the same time, Jr has nowhere near the talent and skill that Cotto has.

If somehow this happens at say 158 or 160, Cotto is going to TKO his ass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 09:55 AM

10,177 posts, read 20,802,195 times
I was hoping to see Chavez Jr. vs Alvarez, but I guess this one has some potential. Chavez hasn't fought anyone in the upper tier to date, so this would be his first venture into A-class competition.

If this fight is made, hopefully that opens up a possible match between Alvarez and Kirkland...that would be an action packed fight, probably fight of the year for as long as it lasts.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:19 AM

121 posts, read 240,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I was hoping to see Chavez Jr. vs Alvarez, but I guess this one has some potential. Chavez hasn't fought anyone in the upper tier to date, so this would be his first venture into A-class competition.

If this fight is made, hopefully that opens up a possible match between Alvarez and Kirkland...that would be an action packed fight, probably fight of the year for as long as it lasts.

Chavez jr wants 158 LB catchweight for Alvarez..and Alvarez wants 156lbs...LOL

Damn little girls..just meet at 157..or Alvarez move up to 160 from 154 if u want him so bad and vice versa for Chavez..

But i think they both should fight in Mexico City on the same card..if they both win..fight each other..that would sell alot of tickets and make serious bucks..

Old 12-10-2011, 06:24 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,310,805 times
For me, its hard to see where Chavez Jr stands in his division because of the select opponents. So far, I like his desire & heart, those 2 characteristics can take you places but time will tell.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:53 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,985,911 times
Chavez Jr. has no business being a champion of any division. He is boxing's equivalent of pop boy band - totally and completely fabricated. Dude has been fed a steady diet of taxi driving, cigarette smoking, plodding, no talent opponents his entire career just so Arum can make money off of him promoting him as being just like Sr. Dude is not good.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Chavez Jr. has no business being a champion of any division. He is boxing's equivalent of pop boy band - totally and completely fabricated. Dude has been fed a steady diet of taxi driving, cigarette smoking, plodding, no talent opponents his entire career just so Arum can make money off of him promoting him as being just like Sr. Dude is not good.
I do agree that he is one of the most over-hyped fighters in the sport. The only one that was worse was Hector Camacho Jr. But think of it this way, if he does fight Cotto, he probably gets KO'd in the middle rounds, and then we don't have to worry about the Chavez hype machine after he's been exposed by a real championship caliber fighter.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:14 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,287,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
You do know that Chavez Jr., unlike other pro boxers, has no amateur career, right? Which is more than 100 fights average before going up to the pros. He has no Olympics or Jr.Olympics experience, no amateur experience, nothing. He just got his gloves laced up and was thrown to the lions. So we can say that an amateur with less than 50 fights is beating guys with double/triple his experience, right? If he didn't have the "Chavez" last name, maybe people would see that.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
You do know that Chavez Jr., unlike other pro boxers, has no amateur career, right? Which is more than 100 fights average before going up to the pros. He has no Olympics or Jr.Olympics experience, no amateur experience, nothing. He just got his gloves laced up and was thrown to the lions. So we can say that an amateur with less than 50 fights is beating guys with double/triple his experience, right? If he didn't have the "Chavez" last name, maybe people would see that.
Thrown to the lions? Don't think for one minute his father didn't coach him from an early age. Something that is very common in Mexico is unsanctioned fights. When I trained amateur fighters in California this was a frequent problem we ran into. A lot of the Mexican fighters would fight 100 or more unsanctioned fights, then they would get a legitimate registration to compete at the amateur level and we would see a guy who allegedly had no fights or less than ten fights, fighting as if he'd had way more experience.

I'm sure Chavez Jr. spent plenty of time in boxing gyms and probably sparring a good deal with other fighters. It's not as though he just walked in off the street and turned pro with no boxing background of any kind. He was also matched up very carefully throughout his pro career. I wouldn't say he's awful, he's improved a good deal, but he's not nearly worthy of all the hype that's been surrounding him.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:41 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,287,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Thrown to the lions? Don't think for one minute his father didn't coach him from an early age
Could be but training with pops isn’t the same as facing more than 100 guys and having exposure to Jr. Olympics, Olympics, and so on as most guys out there. He started as a pro at barely 17.

Quote:
I'm sure Chavez Jr. spent plenty of time in boxing gyms and probably sparring a good deal with other fighters. It's not as though he just walked in off the street and turned pro with no boxing background of any kind
Sure, he just didn’t lace them up and “go at ‘em boy!”. He had to train just like any amateur would train until his very first amateur fight. Difference is that Chavez Jr. has no amateur experience what so ever, no jr. Olympics experience, no Olympics experience, no golden glove experience, no national youth boxing championship, etc. Nothing.

I remember his father, Chavez Sr., also got criticized for not fighting top opposition and how he was no good. Look how far he got. Can't deny he is one of Boxing's Greatest and has a well deserved spot at the Hall of Fame.

Quote:
I wouldn't say he's awful, he's improved a good deal, but he's not nearly worthy of all the hype that's been surrounding him.
Sure. A lot of hype around him specially for having the last name “Chavez”. If he was just Joe Schmoe, he would probably get more credit. I think he has improved as well. Freddy Roach might be part of the reason.

Now that he has a belt, he better not only show it around but be a champion and defend it against top opposition which I find it hard to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing