Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 09:51 AM

536 posts, read 323,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Coward GGG?

That's the video title? Didn't Ward say he was going to fight Anthony Joshua?

Does that make him a coward?

First of all, GGG can't beat Ward. Secondly, fighters always call out people with no intention of fighting them. There isn't one fighter in boxing that you can say didn't "duck" someone.

If I'm GGG, I try to get a rematch or a fight with McGregor. No point in fighting Ward for no money and then losing.

You don't gotta be a hater even if you irrationally hate the man, lol.
Ward is much bigger than Golovkin . There are weightclasses for a reason in boxing . Anyway you could say that Ward got an equivalent of Golovkin (in terms of a world class fighter ) of his own size in Kovalev and he lost that fight . He has still plenty of talent to fight in his own division , (Gvozdyk , Beterbiev , Alvarez come to mind ) but he would rather retire . You can see through Ward's boxing "ambitions" .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 10:05 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,190,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPreussen View Post
Ward is much bigger than Golovkin . There are weightclasses for a reason in boxing . Anyway you could say that Ward got an equivalent of Golovkin (in terms of a world class fighter ) of his own size in Kovalev and he lost that fight . He has still plenty of talent to fight in his own division , (Gvozdyk , Beterbiev , Alvarez come to mind ) but he would rather retire . You can see through Ward's boxing "ambitions" .
I felt like Kovalev edged the first fight, but Ward dominated Kovalev in the rematch. I will say that Kovalev wasn't there mentally in the second fight, but still, he didn't make any adjustments. Ward did.

Ward is probably the smartest active fighter in the game today.

GGG is a great fighter, but I just don't see him getting past Ward, as Ward is too big, too skilled, and too crafty.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:06 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Coward GGG?

That's the video title? Didn't Ward say he was going to fight Anthony Joshua?

Does that make him a coward?
It would make him a coward if Joshua and Ward had negotiations and Joshua was making it publicly known he wanted the fight, yes.

There's also an obvious difference between Ward calling out AJ and GGG calling out Ward. GGG only needs to move up a single weight class. And it's hard to label Ward a coward at this point after moving up to 175 to take on Kovalev.

Quote:
First of all, GGG can't beat Ward. Secondly, fighters always call out people with no intention of fighting them. There isn't one fighter in boxing that you can say didn't "duck" someone.
I think there's a difference between calling someone out for the publicity and calling someone out and then having preliminary negotiations over a potential fight. Ward vs. Joshua has about a 1% chance or lower of really happening whereas GGG-Ward has a much more realistic chance of happening. Other than a rematch against Canelo, what would be a more profitable fight for him?

Quote:
You don't gotta be a hater even if you irrationally hate the man, lol.
I don't hate GGG. I was just looking for the quote where he agreed to fight Ward and that happened to be the title of the video. LOL.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:20 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,190,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It would make him a coward if Joshua and Ward had negotiations and Joshua was making it publicly known he wanted the fight, yes.

There's also an obvious difference between Ward calling out AJ and GGG calling out Ward. GGG only needs to move up a single weight class. And it's hard to label Ward a coward at this point after moving up to 175 to take on Kovalev.

I think there's a difference between calling someone out for the publicity and calling someone out and then having preliminary negotiations over a potential fight. Ward vs. Joshua has about a 1% chance or lower of really happening whereas GGG-Ward has a much more realistic chance of happening. Other than a rematch against Canelo, what would be a more profitable fight for him?

I don't hate GGG. I was just looking for the quote where he agreed to fight Ward and that happened to be the title of the video. LOL.
Personally, I wouldn't refer to any of them as cowards, but that's just me.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I felt like Kovalev edged the first fight, but Ward dominated Kovalev in the rematch. I will say that Kovalev wasn't there mentally in the second fight, but still, he didn't make any adjustments. Ward did.

Ward is probably the smartest active fighter in the game today.

GGG is a great fighter, but I just don't see him getting past Ward, as Ward is too big, too skilled, and too crafty.
Kovalev won the first fight . Second fight was TKO after a low blow . It should be No contest . Who knows what would have happened had this fight went further . Kovalev is one of the biggest punchers in boxing , he would have always had a chance of knocking Ward out . The referee robbed him of that chance . I don't like Ward but if he had won this fight fairly then I would have given him props . I just can't stand when judges or referees rob us of fair fights .

Ward would be the favourite against Golovkin , and I think that he would win if they ever met in the ring .
But Ward should focus on his own division , and not on the smaller men , because he has plenty of world class fighters there. But instead of fighting them , he just chose to retire .

Old 09-21-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't refer to any of them as cowards, but that's just me.
Well, I think GGG does get the benefit of the doubt oftentimes, which does come off as a double standard. GGG fans claim he can only fight the guys in front of him (true), but when he does seek out a "challenge," it comes from a guy who fights in a division below him. He's perhaps the only fighter today who can get away with that. As much as people like to crap on Mayweather for carefully selecting his opponents, he did call out guys like DLH, Sugar and Cotto when he was at a lower weight. The only guys GGG seems eager to fight are the inferior competition at 160 and welterweights.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Ward would be the favourite against Golovkin , and I think that he would win if they ever met in the ring.
It is said that GGG KOs heavyweights in sparring. And he was willing to fight Froch at 168, so why not Ward?

Quote:
But Ward should focus on his own division , and not on the smaller men , because he has plenty of world class fighters there. But instead of fighting them , he just chose to retire .
Ward is 33 years old and should focus on the most lucrative fights.

I really hope you're not hinting at the "Ward was scared so he chose to retire" angle since many people thought he would never fight Kovalev--the biggest and baddest man in the LHW division. I don't see how you can say that with a straight face when GGG said he would agree to fight Froch at 168 but when it comes to fighting Ward at that weight it's "B, bu- but."

If GGG wants to fight at 160 for the rest of this days, that's his prerogative. But then people need to drop the "GGG The Destroyer" who will fight anyone between 154-168, anytime, anyplace non sense. He's been carefully handled just like all other fighters.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
It is said that GGG KOs heavyweights in sparring. And he was willing to fight Froch at 168, so why not Ward?
Money . Froch vs Golovkin means full Wembley stadium , and brings much more money to the table then fight with boring not mediumistic Ward . Look at his fight against Kovalev . Two top PfP fighters facing each other and big let down when it comes to the numbers . Alvarez and Froch are/were big mediumistic stars bringing big money to the table . Ward is great , skilled boxer but he is not big star when it comes to money . Froch was a big draw in his country , Ward was not a big draw in his country .

Quote:
Ward is 33 years old and should focus on the most lucrative fights.

I really hope you're not hinting at the "Ward was scared so he chose to retire" angle since many people thought he would never fight Kovalev--the biggest and baddest man in the LHW division. I don't see how you can say that with a straight face when GGG said he would agree to fight Froch at 168 but when it comes to fighting Ward at that weight it's "B, bu- but."

If GGG wants to fight at 160 for the rest of this days, that's his prerogative. But then people need to drop the "GGG The Destroyer" who will fight anyone between 154-168, anytime, anyplace non sense. He's been carefully handled just like all other fighters.

I am not hinting that he is scared . He just doesnt has his heart into boxing anymore , but if he wanted to make good fights , then there are still plenty of good fights to be made in his division or the most competitive , cruiserweight division . Maybe if he had more attractive style of fighting to the boxing fans or he would be more controversial like Mayweather , then he would have earned more money But when you look at his numbers against Kovalev and his purses , then it actually seems that he was ovepayed . So not bad for him actually . I believe GGG would have fought Ward , but it was also up to his promoters , And fight against Ward was big risk / low reward type of fight contrary to Froch fight . So they probably were not eager for it .

Last edited by WestPreussen; 09-21-2017 at 12:01 PM..

Old 09-21-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Money . Froch vs Golovkin means full Wembley stadium , and brings much more money to the table then fight with boring not mediumistic Ward . Look at his fight against Kovalev . Two top PfP fighters facing each other and big let down when it comes to the numbers . Alvarez and Froch are/were big mediumistic stars bringing big money to the table . Ward is great , skilled boxer but he is not big star when it comes to money . Froch was a big draw in his country , Ward was not a big draw in his country.
This same logic would apply in Mayweather not fighting GGG: high risk, low reward. Yet when Mayweather does it it's "ducking," but when GGG does it it's just a smart business decision.

Quote:
There's nothing left for Mayweather to prove. Either fight Golovkin and take a real challenge for once, or stop gauging the fans with your faux fights.
Golovkin Challenges Mayweather & Floyd Does What He Always Does - The Sweet Science

You could easily write the same thing about GGG.

Quote:
There's nothing left for Golvokin to prove. Either fight Ward and take a real challenge for once, or stop gauging the fans with your faux fights.
You would think GGG would be anxious to get in the ring with a big name (at least in boxing circles) like Ward considering his greatest victory to date is over a guy who was obliterated by Marco Antonio Rubio and Joachim Alcine. On the one hand, GGG fans claim he is a legend who deserves all the glory of other ATGs, but on the other hand say it makes no sense for him to fight Ward because of money. How can we on the one hand downplay Mayweather's achievements by saying he ducked guys, fought guys past their primes, etc., but then elevate GGG to glory with a resume full of B-level fighters?

Old 09-21-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
This same logic would apply in Mayweather not fighting GGG: high risk, low reward. Yet when Mayweather does it it's "ducking," but when GGG does it it's just a smart business decision.

Golovkin Challenges Mayweather & Floyd Does What He Always Does - The Sweet Science

You could easily write the same thing about GGG.
For me there is no such thing as ducking if two fighters do not fight in the same division . Mayweather could not duck Golovkin as he was not fighting in middleweight division . For the same reason Golovkin could not duck Ward . On the other hand , for example both Cotto and Alvarez were ducking Golovkin . They were from lower weight division or divisions but They chose to move to middleweight , Golovkin was their mandatory , they refused to fight , Alvarez even gave up his belt . That is ducking . Yes , Alvarez eventually came to fight , good for him , but it does not change the fact that he ducked Golovkin before .

Quote:
You would think GGG would be anxious to get in the ring with a big name (at least in boxing circles) like Ward considering his greatest victory to date is over a guy who was obliterated by Marco Antonio Rubio and Joachim Alcine. On the one hand, GGG fans claim he is a legend who deserves all the glory of other ATGs, but on the other hand say it makes no sense for him to fight Ward because of money. How can we on the one hand downplay Mayweather's achievements by saying he ducked guys, fought guys past their primes, etc., but then elevate GGG to glory with a resume full of B-level fighters?
Well Golovkin eventually got in the ring with a big name and won , so he achieved that goal . It just wasn't Ward but Alvarez . If Golovkin cleaned up the Middleweight division , won all of the belts , and had no serious opponents left and still did not move to Supermiddleweight division , then I would maybe consider this as ducking , but he still had/has good , notable opponents in his division . Jacobs , Alvarez , there is still Saunders left . As I said Ward is much bigger than Golovkin . He had his own Golovkin to fight (Kovalev) . They were never in the same division . So there was no duck . And there are always gonna be some people to downplay someone's achievements . It does not mean that all of Golovkin fans think that Mayweather ducked him . I would call myself a fan of Golovkin but I would not say that Mayweather ever ducked him .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing